Some OC Names I'd Like to See Considered

JDG

Bruce Arians, WR Coach, Pittsburgh - The guy took Kelly Holcomb to the playoffs as OC in Cleveland, and they put up 36 points on the road against the Steelers in the playoffs. He could be a great guy to catch lightning in a bottle again with Holcomb, and the Steelers have been awesome the last two years.

Mike Heimerdinger, OC, NY Jets - 'Dinger has made it abundantly clear that he wants out of New York and no part of the Mangini regime. Taking a coach from a division rival is often a decent idea. 'Dinger helped turn Steve McNair into an NFL MVP in Tennessee, and had many great years there. He's also a guy who will probably want to run his own show, which is exactly what the Buffalo situation offers him. Unfortunately, it looks like he's going to go to Denver, where his former college roommate is the HC.

Peter Vaas, QB Coach, Notre Dame - He's a Notre Dame guy, and he's only been there one year, so its hard to know if he'd leave. Still, just look at what he did with Brady Quinn this year, and even one year with NFL Nobel Prize winner Charlie Weis is a recommendation. Vaas also produced a lot of success with the pretty thankless job of being an NFL Europe Head Coach. His earlier coaching stints in the lower college ranks, and two years as an ND Asst. in the early '90s are all marked by success as well.

Mark Whipple, QB Coach, Pittsburgh - The job this guy has done with Roethlisberger is simply amazing. Last year they went 15-1 with a "just don't lose philosophy" with Big Ben. This year, he's completed the devlopment, turning Big Ben into a true NFL starting QB who has just led his team to three straight road wins in the very, very, tough AFC and a Super Bowl berth.

JDG

Bruce Arians, WR Coach, Pittsburgh - The guy took Kelly Holcomb to the playoffs as OC in Cleveland, and they put up 36 points on the road against the Steelers in the playoffs.  He could be a great guy to catch lightning in a bottle again with Holcomb, and the Steelers have been awesome the last two years. 

Mike Heimerdinger, OC, NY Jets - 'Dinger has made it abundantly clear that he wants out of New York and no part of the Mangini regime.  Taking a coach from a division rival is often a decent idea.  'Dinger helped turn Steve McNair into an NFL MVP in Tennessee, and had many great years there.  He's also a guy who will probably want to run his own show, which is exactly what the Buffalo situation offers him.  Unfortunately, it looks like he's going to go to Denver, where his former college roommate is the HC.

Peter Vaas, QB Coach, Notre Dame - He's a Notre Dame guy, and he's only been there one year, so its hard to know if he'd leave.  Still, just look at what he did with Brady Quinn this year, and even one year with NFL Nobel Prize winner Charlie Weis is a recommendation.  Vaas also produced a lot of success with the pretty thankless job of being an NFL Europe Head Coach.  His earlier coaching stints in the lower college ranks, and two years as an ND Asst. in the early '90s are all marked by success as well.

Mark Whipple, QB Coach, Pittsburgh - The job this guy has done with Roethlisberger is simply amazing.  Last year they went 15-1 with a "just don't lose philosophy" with Big Ben.  This year, he's completed the devlopment, turning Big Ben into a true NFL starting QB who has just led his team to three straight road wins in the very, very, tough AFC and a Super Bowl berth.

JDG

581772[/snapback]

I like the Dinger, but his contract is for $2.2 mil over the next two years. Even if we get him away from the Jets, he won't come for less, and Ralph wouldn't pay more.

I don't understand the QB focus. Most people on this board are happy with Wyche. Some even want to promote him. So, if he is doing a good job with Losman, then adding a QB-minded OC would just be throwing more things at JP unnecessarily. I think the way to go may be to find an OC who has had success with a young QB in his system, but necessarily coaching the QB himself. I think that guy is Heimerdinger; no others come to mind.

Two more names to add to the list:

Tim Brewster, TE Coach, Denver - Signed and coached Antonio Gates as an undrafted free agent. As a college coach at North Carolina, developed Freddie Jones and Alge Crumpler. Recruited Vince Young to Texas. Was given big money by Denver after his contract expired in San Diego, and spent last year working with Gary Kubiak and Mike Shanahan.

Ken Zampese, QB Coach, Cincinnati - Developed Carson Palmer over last three years in Cincy. Spent previous three years in Asst. Offensive positions of increasing responsibility with the "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams. Was a QB Coach and passing game coordinator at Miami U. in the Fun'n'Gun MAC, when Miami averaged 37.4 ppg.

Two more names to add to the list:

Tim Brewster, TE Coach, Denver - Signed and coached Antonio Gates as an undrafted free agent.  As a college coach at North Carolina, developed Freddie Jones and Alge Crumpler.  Recruited Vince Young to Texas.  Was given big money by Denver after his contract expired in San Diego, and spent last year working with Gary Kubiak and Mike Shanahan. 

Ken Zampese, QB Coach, Cincinnati - Developed Carson Palmer over last three years in Cincy.  Spent previous three years in Asst. Offensive positions of increasing responsibility with the "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams.  Was a QB Coach and passing game coordinator at Miami U. in the Fun'n'Gun MAC, when Miami averaged 37.4 ppg.

582885[/snapback]

I'm guessing Kenny Z. is son of Ernie? Checking...

Yup.

Caldwell holds the title assistant head coach with the Colts, right?  Are the Colts willing to let him go for a lateral move or demotion?

582914[/snapback]

Don't forget the Polian-Levy dynamic. The answer might just be yes for Buffalo, no for anyone else asking, especially if BP knows Tom Moore will stick around for a while yet...

Gary Crowton would not surprise me. He was there in Chicago with DJ for the 13-3 season. He is OC at Oregon  right now so I would say he is available. Chris Palmer has a history with Jauron as well.

582922[/snapback]

Wonder how different Jauron's tenure in Chi-town would've been if Crowton hadn't left for the BYU job? Dunno if his pass-happiness would work well in our weather, though.

Palmer? eek.

Don't give all that credit to the Pitt QB coach and the Cinci QB coach for the development of their young QB's. Those guys were top-notch QB's coming out of college and, particularly with Ben R., have certain inherent attributes that make them great. I doubt either of them had a whole lot to do w/making them great QB's--so unless there are other reasons to consider those guys, I'd look elsewhere.

I honestly don't think it matters who our OC is; all NFL teams run the same plays. It's just that some teams have better players who execute, while others don't. Our players need to play better, and we'll win more games.

Marc Trestman, OC, NC State - Assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach with the Miami Dolphins (2004); Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Oakland Raiders (2002-03); Senior Assistant/Offense with the Oakland Raiders (2001); Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Arizona Cardinals (1998-2000); Quarterbacks coach with the Detroit Lions (1997); Offensive coordinator/Quarterbacks coach with the San Francisco 49ers (1995-1996); Quarterbacks coach/Administrative Assistant to Head Coach with the Minnesota Vikings (1990-91); Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Cleveland Browns (1989); Quarterbacks coach with the Cleveland Browns (1988); Quarterbacks coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1987); Running backs coach with the Minnesota Vikings (1985-1986); College - Quarterbacks coach at University of Miami (1983-84); Volunteer Assistant at the University of Miami (1981-82).

I like the Dinger, but his contract is for $2.2 mil over the next two years.  Even if we get him away from the Jets, he won't come for less, and Ralph wouldn't pay more.

I don't understand the QB focus.  Most people on this board are happy with Wyche.  Some even want to promote him.  So, if he is doing a good job with Losman, then adding a QB-minded OC would just be throwing more things at JP unnecessarily.  I think the way to go may be to find an OC who has had success with a young QB in his system, but necessarily coaching the QB himself.  I think that guy is Heimerdinger; no others come to mind.

581810[/snapback]

I think there is a general thought that what brought Wyche here was Mularkey returning the favor of Wyche being the first guy to hire MM as a coach after he retired as a player and I think was making a living selling insurance.

For those who felt Wyche did a good job (and thought is divided based on the unreasonable complaint that JP has not become Tom Brady yet) there is still the question about the health issues that forced his retirement as an HC.

In addition, does he feell some loyalty to MM that would make him want to follow MM to Miami if there is a job there or be uncomfortable sticking around,

We'll see.

Marc Trestman, OC, NC State - Assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach with the Miami Dolphins (2004); Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Oakland Raiders (2002-03); Senior Assistant/Offense with the Oakland Raiders (2001); Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Arizona Cardinals (1998-2000); Quarterbacks coach with the Detroit Lions (1997); Offensive coordinator/Quarterbacks coach with the San Francisco 49ers (1995-1996); Quarterbacks coach/Administrative Assistant to Head Coach with the Minnesota Vikings (1990-91); Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Cleveland Browns (1989); Quarterbacks coach with the Cleveland Browns (1988); Quarterbacks coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1987); Running backs coach with the Minnesota Vikings (1985-1986); College - Quarterbacks coach at University of Miami (1983-84); Volunteer Assistant at the University of Miami (1981-82).

582963[/snapback]

Wow, I forgot about Trestman! Oakland had a great offense until they faced Tampa in the Superbowl. I do hope he's on Jaroun's radar.

I like Dinger best, but he's going to Denver. Arians is a name I didn't think of and he might be an excellent choice. Caldwell, I would support wholeheartedly.

Thing is, given the Jauron focus on D, we need an OC who has some experience doing the job because he'd be on his own. We need a Dan Henning type, not a guy who has just been elevated from QB/WR/RB coach and is looking to prove how smart he is to become a HC in 2-3 years. I really think that is a recipe for disaster.

This is why I think Palmer or even Joe Pendry wouldn't be bad choices. I'd be MUCH more concerned with a guy like Fairchild or some other 30something with something to prove on his way to becoming a HC (think Mularkey in Pitt).

Thing is, given the Jauron focus on D, we need an OC who has some experience doing the job because he'd be on his own.  ).

583349[/snapback]

You could have a younger guy if Wyche stayed as QB coach and the behind teh scenes support to get over the rough spots.

Marc Trestman would be an interesting pick. I don't know if Miami would give permission for him to go within the division.

Caldwell is another interesting choice, but it would be highly unusual for a team to hire a failed HC candidate as a Coordinator. Thus, I think he is unlikely.

Another name, albeit one we won't get, is Paul Hackett. Hackett is famed/reviled for his ultra-conservative approach to offense, but has developed a number of QB's, including Chad Pennington in New York and turning around the career of Rich Gannon (who could be a good moulds for Losman.) His ultra-conservative approach would also match Jauron's style very well. The only downside is that he's currently employed in the Tampa black hole, and they will almost certainly not give him permission to leave.

JDG