Done Deal

Mickey

My inside sources (yes, that means more than one) tell me that Sherman is a done deal but they haven't signed a contract yet. Also, both he and the Bills are free in the meantime to negotiate with other coaches/teams to try and get a better deal for themselves and if that happens either can opt out with no penalty. If that occurs, the Bills will hire Jauron providing they don't get hung up in contract negotiations. Since they expect there to be no problems with the Sherman deal, they haven't bothered to negotiate with Jauron so that would take a day or two if Sherman gets lured by a better deal. If Jauron and the Bills can't agree on a contract, the Bills will definitely hire Caldwell because he has been highly recommended to Marv and Ralph by none other than Bill Polian. The new coach will be announced next week during a morning press conference, possibly as early as monday but no later than wednesday.

My inside sources (yes, that means more than one) tell me that Sherman is a done deal but they haven't signed a contract yet.  Also, both he and the Bills are free in the meantime to negotiate with other coaches/teams to try and get a better deal for themselves and if that happens either can opt out with no penalty.  If that occurs, the Bills will hire Jauron providing they don't get hung up in contract negotiations.  Since they expect there to be no problems with the Sherman deal, they haven't bothered to negotiate with Jauron so that would take a day or two if Sherman gets lured by a better deal.  If Jauron and the Bills can't agree on a contract, the Bills will definitely hire Caldwell because he has been highly recommended to Marv and Ralph by none other than Bill Polian.  The new coach will be announced next week during a morning press conference, possibly as early as monday but no later than wednesday.

577608[/snapback]

I'm glad you cleared things up there Mr. Mortensen...things were getting confusing here in buffalo

When a deal is done with no contractual commitments is there a legal name for that?

577624[/snapback]

Yea its called a gentlemen's agreement or a handshake...that and $2 get you a grande coffee of the day at Starbuck's

That also pretty much coincides with what Soprano has been saying. It makes sense. Sherman is just playing his cards right, and the Bills are covering their ass. Sherman likely wanted to see if anything changed in Houston or Oakland, but he is out of options if he wants a HC job. He also likely knew the Bills want him and he can have the job if he pleases. Jauron doesn't have a lot of bargaining power. Caldwell probably just wants to know what Sherman would have in store for him if he came over.

That also pretty much coincides with what Soprano has been saying. It makes sense. Sherman is just playing his cards right, and the Bills are covering their ass. Sherman likely wanted to see if anything changed in Houston or Oakland, but he is out of options if he wants a HC job. He also likely knew the Bills want him and he can have the job if he pleases. Jauron doesn't have a lot of bargaining power. Caldwell probably just wants to know what Sherman would have in store for him if he came over.

577635[/snapback]

And if that is your analysis, it means he is settling for the Bills and probably not what he really wants to do, and would accept anything else if available.

577635[/snapback]

I think that just about sums it up for Sherman, with the old caveat of let me go back to the family and talk it over with them (and see what other options I have).

And if that is your analysis, it means he is settling for the Bills and probably not what he really wants to do, and would accept anything else if available.

577638[/snapback]

No, that doesn't mean that at all. It means he is considering his options. If he gets an offer from, say, the Raiders, then he has to consider whether it is a better offer than from the Bills. It could be money, players, the city itself, the coaches, the ownership, what his wife thinks. There are a lot of reasons why he may choose one offer or another. If he doesn't like the offer the other team gives him, he turns them down and comes back to the Bills. It's just smart, and it shows he's confident.

Not that companies would ever be fighting over you, but if you got offered a job, and you knew you could have it if you want it, and knew two other companies were looking to fill a similar job, wouldn't you like to see whather they offered you a better deal?

577635[/snapback]

I can't get any info in the Raiders, it is pissing me off. Who have they interviewed?

This is all I can find- http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/OAK/9169038

Are they interviewing anyone?

Not that companies would ever be fighting over you, but if you got offered a job, and you knew you could have it if you want it, and knew two other companies were looking to fill a similar job, wouldn't you like to see whather they offered you a better deal?

577645[/snapback]

No. :blink:

But if I had pretty much known since Tuesday that I had an offer on the table, you could bet your little bottom that I would want an answer from those other companies asap. Or if I didn't really want the first job, yeah I would string them along.

My inside sources (yes, that means more than one) tell me that Sherman is a done deal but they haven't signed a contract yet.  Also, both he and the Bills are free in the meantime to negotiate with other coaches/teams to try and get a better deal for themselves and if that happens either can opt out with no penalty.  If that occurs, the Bills will hire Jauron providing they don't get hung up in contract negotiations.  Since they expect there to be no problems with the Sherman deal, they haven't bothered to negotiate with Jauron so that would take a day or two if Sherman gets lured by a better deal.  If Jauron and the Bills can't agree on a contract, the Bills will definitely hire Caldwell because he has been highly recommended to Marv and Ralph by none other than Bill Polian.  The new coach will be announced next week during a morning press conference, possibly as early as monday but no later than wednesday.

577608[/snapback]

The only thing this message is missing are the words "ESPN reports" before it :blink:

I can't get any info in the Raiders, it is pissing me off. Who have they interviewed?

577646[/snapback]

They interviewed Al Saunder and Marinelli, who took other jobs, and also interviewed Lofton. Possibly a couple others. They could go any number of ways as Al Davis is certifiably insane.

They interviewed Al Saunder and Marinelli, who took other jobs, and also interviewed Lofton. Possibly a couple others. They could go any number of ways as Al Davis is certifiably insane.

577655[/snapback]

That's what is so strange- their fans must be livid.

I guess the big question is: have they contacted Sherman?

Raiders Search....

Houston is pretty much a done deal with Kubiak...

Oakland....Whisenhut, Grimm??? After researching Sherman this past week..I can't think of more of a mismatch than Randy Moss and Mike Sherman...I don't know....Plus you have the whole Ralph/Al Davis history..there is a strange kind of loyalty between those two..