Quality of news reporting at an all time low

duey

Check out the scoop the News gives us today...give me an f'in break!

Bills may pick either Jauron or Sherman

WTF?!?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veteran coaches appear to head Bills' list of coaching candidates

By ALLEN WILSON

News Sports Reporter

1/19/2006

The Buffalo Bills' search for a new head coach is nearing an end.

Dick Jauron and Mike Sherman have emerged as the front-runners to replace Mike Mularkey, who suddenly resigned for professional and personal reasons last week.

Bills owner Ralph Wilson and General Manager Marv Levy met with Jauron on Tuesday and Sherman on Wednesday at the team's training facility.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold confirmed that Wilson and Levy also interviewed special teams coach Bobby April Wednesday.

The Bills will interview a minority candidate this week, as required by NFL rules. New York Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson is a strong possibility to get the call. He is not expected to return to the Jets, who named New England defensive coordinator Eric Mangini as head coach.

Former Bills and Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell apparently isn't being considered. He told The Buffalo News Wednesday night that he hasn't been contacted by Wilson or Levy.

Jim Haslett, the former Bills linebacker and ex-New Orleans Saints coach who was thought to be the early favorite also may be out of the running. He and the Bills had informal discussions last weekend, but no official interview has been set up.

Haslett is running out of options after jobs he was up for with the New York Jets and Detroit Lions have been filled. The Lions reportedly will hire Tampa Bay defensive line coach Rod Marinelli.

The Bills could announce their new head coach by the end of the week. Once all the interviews are done, the choice will likely be Jauron or Sherman. Both have head coaching experience, which the Bills are believed to be looking for. Jauron, 55, coached the Chicago Bears from 1999-03 and became the Lions' interim head coach after Steve Mariucci was fired with five games remaining last season. Jauron's chances are helped by his ties to Levy, who lives in Chicago and was on the Bears' radio broadcast team when Jauron was coach.

Sherman, 51, served the past six seasons with the Green Bay Packers. He also served three years as general manager.

Money could be a factor in the decision. Sherman made $3.2 million per year in Green Bay, while Jauron was paid $2 million annually when he coached the Bears. Both have the credentials to lead the Bills.

Jauron posted a 35-45 record with the Bears, guiding them to the playoffs in 2001. He was named NFL coach of the year that season while leading the Bears to the NFC Central title. Jauron and Chicago icons George Halas and Mike Ditka are the only coaches in Bears history to win 13 games in a season.

Jauron couldn't duplicate that success in the following two seasons and was fired by GM Jerry Angelo, who joined the team before the 2003 campaign.

Jauron's strength is defense. He was a star NFL safety for the Lions and Cincinnati Bengals and coached defensive backs for Buffalo and Green Bay. He had a solid run as defensive coordinator for the expansion Jacksonville Jaguars from 1995-98 and coordinated the Lions' defense for two years before becoming interim head coach, guiding them to a 1-4 mark. His Bears defense ranked second in the NFL against the run in 2001.

Jauron's good relationship with players is a big selling point, but a key for him will be his choice to run the Bills' offense. His two offensive coordinators in Chicago - Gary Crowton and John Shoop - were viewed as disappointments.

Sherman's strong offensive background could be the answer to the Bills' long-time woes on that side of the ball. From 1999 through 2004, Sherman's offense ranked as high as third (in '04) and no lower than 12th ('02) in the NFL.

It should be noted that Sherman was very high on quarterback J.P. Losman coming out of college two years ago and would have drafted Losman in the first round before the Bills traded with the Cowboys to move ahead of the Packers.

Sherman had an impressive 57-39 record with three division titles and four playoff appearances. But he was fired after finishing this season 4-12, his only losing record. Injuries hurt Sherman's cause as he lost his best wide receiver and four top running backs. The offensive line couldn't overcome the free agent departures of starting guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle. But most Packers observers believe Sherman was let go because new general manager Ted Thompson wanted to hire his own guy.

Despite some successes, Sherman's tenure was overshadowed by playoff failures. After going 12-4 in 2001, the Packers suffered their worst playoff loss in franchise history, a 45-17 defeat at St. Louis. They went 12-4 again the next year, but lost a home playoff game to Atlanta, 27-7. Sherman lost another home playoff game to Minnesota, 31-17, two years later.

The most damaging postseason defeat came in 2004 at Philadelphia when the Packers gave up a 28-yard pass completion on fourth-and-26 with 1:12 remaining in regulation. That play led to the game-tying field goal, and the Eagles went on to win in overtime, 20-17

I see nothing irresponsible or wrong with that article. Allen Wilson is playing it cool and not speculating beyond with baseless garbage.

If you wish to read creative dreck, then John Clayton or Mort will gladly provide you with headline gabbing info which is completely false. Haslett was a the clear favorite to be our coach, according to them. Yet he never was interviewed. <_<

Go ESPN ! BOOYAH !

I see nothing irresponsible or wrong with that article. Allen Wilson is playing it cool and not speculating beyond with baseless garbage.

If you wish to read creative dreck, then John Clayton or Mort will gladly provide you with headline gabbing info which is completely false. Haslett was a the clear favorite to be our coach, according to them. Yet he never was interviewed.  <_<

Go ESPN ! BOOYAH !

573832[/snapback]

I could not agree more. I am so sick and tired of these guys trying to make the news instead of reporting it. This was a very good piece. Informative and factuall with actual names of people he talked too. What more could you ask for? Or do you just want the garbage becauser it excites you! It seems you can't handle the truth!

The Bills will interview a minority candidate this week, as required by NFL rules. New York Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson is a strong possibility to get the call. He is not expected to return to the Jets, who named New England defensive coordinator Eric Mangini as head coach.

573823[/snapback]

Well, the above is good news. I hope that Henderson gets the "call" and the job. If not, he would be a superior DC.

I also think it was a good article. Laid all the facts out and gave some background on the two top candidates. Responsible journalism - don't make up new news if there isn't any. Leave that for the 'hacks' and the message boards...

I also think it was a good article.  Laid all the facts out and gave some background on the two top candidates.  Responsible journalism - don't make up new news if there isn't any.  Leave that for the 'hacks' and the message boards...

573846[/snapback]

agreed -- that's our job!

agreed -- that's our job!

573872[/snapback]

Yet, if there isn't any news don't speculate either. I think his point was first the News was all lover Hasslet now it's EITHER Juron or Sherman. If you don't know allen wilson then don't do the espn thing and speculate. According to Wilson's article, Bobby April is out then...why not state why that is as he has done to bulid the case with Juron and Sherman? I and you both know April is a long shot but....do we really know??? I haven't heard Marv rule him out just yet. IF we are to report on the facts then the fact remains April is still in the running yet why omit him?

Keep in mind when reading an article like this that not all people in buffalo are on TBD, reading the internet rumor sites and listening to talk radio to get the latest news on the Bills. Where else but the daily paper would people hear who the Bills are interviewing. This article gave information about the coaching search that was sussinct and factual to the folks who rely on the paper to find out whats going on.

I could not agree more.  I am so sick and tired of these guys trying to make the news instead of reporting it.  This was a very good piece.  Informative and factuall with actual names of people he talked too.  What more could you ask for?  Or do you just want the garbage becauser it excites you!  It seems you can't handle the truth!

573835[/snapback]

I don't disagree, but to that a headline that so overstates the obvious to me is ludicrous.

I don't disagree, but to that a headline that so overstates the obvious to me is ludicrous.

573902[/snapback]

<_<

my in-laws in buffalo are big bills fans, but they don't troll the net or listen to talk radio. this is how they find out about stuff for the first time, and i'm sure there are a few hundred thousand western new yorkers just like them.