Why isn't Dick LeBeau being mentioned for HC?

Tipster19

Isn't he a founding figure with the blitz? His teams are always in the better half of the defensive stats. With plenty of experience, I'm surprised that he hasn't been considered. Could this be the next Weiss/Crennel overlook? The league really needs to change their policy on the postseason hirings. The best best canidates are getting iced for being deep in the play-offs.

Isn't he a founding figure with the blitz? His teams are always in the better half of the defensive stats. With plenty of experience, I'm surprised that he hasn't been considered. Could this be the next Weiss/Crennel overlook? The league really needs to change their policy on the postseason hirings. The best best canidates are getting iced for being deep in the play-offs.

573634[/snapback]

it might have something to do with going 12-33 during his tenure in cincy

573634[/snapback]

well he is a better coordinator than a coach...remember the head coaching job he did in cincinatti?

Cincy was a mess long before he got there. That last whole coaching regime was the final straw with that cheapskate Mike Brown. After that the league was ready to step in and force him to relinquish some of his authority. They were tired of him keeping the franchise a laughingstock. That was more the icing on the cake for Marvin Lewis' hiring than anything else.

573634[/snapback]

I think they changed the rules, so that playoffs assistants, could be interviewed. I believe a few assistants, still in the playoffs have interviewed.

Gary Kubiak has already accepted the HC job in Houston, though I don't think it has been officially announced yet. Maybe it can't be until the Broncos are eliminated from the playoffs? There have been reports all over here in Texan/Longhorn country, that Kubiak has already had some input into who the Texans will pick first in the draft. (Kubiak, incidently, seems to prefer keeping Carr, and drafting Bush)

Didn't Mangini interview with the Jets, before the Pats were eliminated this past weekend?

That said, Dick LeBau is the one guy I would love to see coach the Bills. I know he was a disaster in Cincinnati, but those were extremely extenuating circumstances. It seems conventional wisdom, now, that guys who failed their first time, do better with their second chance. It happened with Belichek, and nobody else, but it seems to be the cliche of the month when it comes to HC positions. Surely, Marv and Ralph couldn't be holding LeBeau's age against him (he is 68 I believe).

That is part of the reason I wouldn't mind seeing Jauron (though not my first pick), as opposed to some of the other candidates mentioned. I have heard nothing but what a terrific coach this guy is, but all he has to show for it is a sub-par record in Chicago. Look beneath the surface though, and you will understand that the Bears management, particularly at that time, was as bad as it gets.

I think they changed the rules, so that playoffs assistants, could be interviewed.  I believe a few assistants, still in the playoffs have interviewed.

Gary Kubiak has already accepted the HC job in Houston, though I don't think it has been officially announced yet.  Maybe it can't be until the Broncos are eliminated from the playoffs? There have been reports all over here in Texan/Longhorn country, that Kubiak has already had some input into who the Texans will pick first in the draft.  (Kubiak, incidently, seems to prefer keeping Carr, and drafting Bush)

Didn't Mangini interview with the Jets, before the Pats were eliminated this past weekend? 

That said, Dick LeBau is the one guy I would love to see coach the Bills.  I know he was a disaster in Cincinnati, but those were extremely extenuating circumstances.  It seems conventional wisdom, now, that guys who failed their first time, do better with their second chance.  It happened with Belichek, and nobody else, but it seems to be the cliche of the month when it comes to HC positions.  Surely, Marv and Ralph couldn't be holding LeBeau's age against him (he is 68 I believe). 

That is part of the reason I wouldn't mind seeing Jauron (though not my first pick), as opposed to some of the other candidates mentioned.  I have heard nothing but what a terrific coach this guy is, but all he has to show for it is a sub-par record in Chicago.  Look beneath the surface though, and you will understand that the Bears management, particularly at that time, was as bad as it gets.

573645[/snapback]

what you say makes alot of sense...................but if jauron is that well respected why didnt detroit want him....they really gave him the cold shoulder.when he was interm he said he would like the job and was told no right off.i would like him as a defensive coordinator.

what you say makes alot of sense...................but if jauron is that well respected why didnt detroit want him....they really gave him the cold shoulder.when he was interm he said he would like the job and was told no right off.i would like him as a defensive coordinator.

573653[/snapback]

You assume Detroit makes good decisions?

573653[/snapback]

I don't know the answer to that, but I wouldn't really use Matt Millen as a measuring stick of success in the NFL. I would trust Levy's instincts over Millens' any day.

It is also possible that Millen knows that Jauron is not going to get too many people excited. It might be easier to look for a guy with no track record as a HC (like Rod Marinelli), but a good reputation, as opposed to a guy with a good reputation, and a poor track record. Millen is desperate. The Bills, apparently, don't feel they are. Jauron is not going to excite the masses (just look at the "no Dick!" posts from the last few days) but it doesn't mean that he won't be a good HC for the Bills.

573653[/snapback]

Actually the rule change which allowed coaches whose teams were in the playoffs to talk to other teams was a change which came in conjunction with the "Rooney" task force which out together the minority interview policy and a number of other changes designed to train minorites and feed the pipeline of qualified minority candidates.

One of the great travesties of that year was Marvin Lewis who had been the DC of the record breaking Baltimore defense being unable to even talk to teams about the five HC openings because his team was in the playoffs.

As it happened, NFL teams seem to stumble all over themselves to get their HC hiring done before the SB so they would not be virtually forced to take Lewis.

As it happened, the only empty HC chair when the music stopped was the Bills. We interviewed Lewis, John Fox and others but TD was |blown away" with a great interview by GW and his voluminous list of contacts and players.

There were some attacks on TD for allegedly being racist, but these attacks were easily repulsed by TD;s record of fair play and hiring minorites. It was also said by some that Lewis's wife did not like Buffalo.

All this being said, in retrospect it looks pretty dumb.

GW sucked, Fox was great and Lewis engineered a marvelous turnaround in Cincy (if Lewis\s wife actually disliked Buffalo it is hard to see Cincy as being a more cosmopolitan metropolis, in hindsight the Bills should have sucked up to Lewis and sold themselves to him and his wife and avoided out GW/TD fate, but such is hindsight.

At any rate my recollection is that at first it was proposed this rule change would only apply to minorites on playoff teams, however, this move against the good ol boys failing to give qualified candidates a fair shot even when it served team interests was already going to rock the house and rather than created diseension within teams as some minorites coaches could be talked to they made it apply to all coaches being offered a move up in status.

What about Russ Grimm?

I had heard he was a hot cahdiate but with Pittsburgh continueing to win, looks like he loses out.

Detroit was suppose to have a hard on for Grimm.  Looks like that did not work.

573737[/snapback]

It *shouldn't* be because Pittsburgh is still playing...assistants on playoff teams can interview and do everything under the sun for a HC job while their team is still going. However, it just can't be officially announced until said playoff team is done for the year.

I can *maybe* see why the Lions don't want to wait, so they can have a staff in place for the Senior Bowl, yada yada yada, etc. But if that's the main reason they're not hiring Russ Grimm (if that's who they really want), it's a pretty poor decision by mgmt.

Given that this is the Lions, it's starting to make some sense.

Actually the rule change which allowed coaches whose teams were in the playoffs to talk to other teams was a change which came in conjunction with the "Rooney" task force which out together the minority interview policy and a number of other changes designed to train minorites and feed the pipeline of qualified minority candidates.

One of the great travesties of that year was Marvin Lewis who had been the DC of the record breaking Baltimore defense being unable to even talk to teams about the five HC openings because his team was in the playoffs.

As it happened, NFL teams seem to stumble all over themselves to get their HC hiring done before the SB so they would not be virtually forced to take Lewis.

As it happened, the only empty HC chair when the music stopped was the Bills.  We interviewed Lewis, John Fox and others but TD was |blown away" with a great interview by GW and his voluminous list of contacts and players.

There were some attacks on TD for allegedly being racist, but these attacks were easily repulsed by TD;s record of fair play and hiring minorites.  It was also said by me that Lewis's wife did not like Buffalo.

All this being said, in retrospect it looks pretty dumb.

GW sucked, Fox was great and Lewis engineered a marvelous turnaround in Cincy (if Lewis\s wife actually disliked Buffalo it is hard to see Cincy as being a more cosmopolitan metropolis, in hindsight the Bills should have sucked up to Lewis and sold themselves to him and his wife and avoided out GW/TD fate, but such is hindsight.

At any rate my recollection is that at first it was proposed this rule change would only apply to minorites on playoff teams, however, this move against the good ol boys failing to give qualified candidates a fair shot even when it served team interests was already going to rock the house and rather than created diseension within teams as some minorites coaches could be talked to they made it apply to all coaches being offered a move up in status.

573664[/snapback]

I wouldn't over-theorize about Marvin Lewis. At the time of his hiring, cheapskate, meddling owner/GM Mike Brown was beating a hasty retreat. Consider the B'gals at that time. Cincy had a decent offensive line in place. A fine runner in Corey Dillon. Promising wr's. And the #1 overall pick in the coming draft. The AFC North was well known to him because of his work in PGH and BAL. He acquired a dozen or so ex-Ravens and 'Skins - players he knew and had confidence in. He tried mightily to retain TKO, but his leaving gave the club a nice comp pick. Starting guard Mike Goff scooted to SD, but G Steinback fell into their lap. The coaching staff was pretty good - notably ol coach Paul Alexander, rb coach Jim Anderson, wr coach Hue Jackson, strength/conditioning coach Chip Morton, and qb coach Ken Zampese. And ex-GM Bill Tobin (Chicago Bears - Walter Payton, the '85 SB team etc.) was hired to assist in scouting and drafting.

I just think that Lewis looked at CIN and saw it as a better fit.

He's certainly been a civic asset; his foundation and other charities he's involved with have raised many hundreds of thousands of dollars for folks in need.

In the All-that-glitters-is-not-gold department, his abandonment of the run game in the 2nd half, and neglect of the DL, are glaring weaknesses.