Bills asked permission to speak with Lofton

Hawerchuk10

Bills have their token candidate in James Lofton. Channel 4 reported that the Bills asked and recieved permission to speak with Lofton. It's a shame that minority candidates have to go through this. I think it's more a slap in the face of some of these coaches because it's required to interview a minority coach. It's obvious that the Bills don't want Lofton he just fits their requirement. Making these guys just through hoops for nothing. It's a shame!

Did you ever interview for a job you didn't think you'd get? I have. I figured it was a learning experience, and it let my boss, my boss' peers, and my boss' bosses know that I was interested in advancing my career.

Maybe the same thing goes here?

Bills have their token candidate in James Lofton. Channel 4 reported that the Bills asked and recieved permission to speak with Lofton. It's a shame that minority candidates have to go through this. I think it's more a slap in the face of some of these coaches because it's required to interview a minority coach. It's obvious that the Bills don't want Lofton he just fits their requirement. Making these guys just through hoops for nothing. It's a shame!

573601[/snapback]

On the other hand, Lofton may view it as a step towards getting a coordinator's job.

573601[/snapback]

well do not sell marv short i am sure marv loved james as a player and just maybe even if the bills are being bad maybe marv is asking james to interview and then ask him to be the o coordinator for sherman maybe sherman said yes to the bills and this is part of the master plan

well do not sell marv short i am sure marv loved james as a player and just maybe even if the bills are being bad maybe marv is asking james to interview and then ask him to be the o coordinator for sherman maybe sherman said yes to the bills and this is part of the master plan

573622[/snapback]

Interesting thought. A lot of folks in GB said Sherman's greatest liability was his Offensive Coordinator Tom Rossley (who also had heart trouble earlier in the year). Maybe part of the deal is bringing a new OC...

I remember how Lofton worked to make himself a master technician and route runner transforming from just a speed guy...he was a great player...for the Pack and for us...I would love to see him back with the Bills in some capacity.

You can look at these "make-good" minority interviews as a slap in the face. You can also look at it as a chance to make an impression, doing a team a favor, and getting expeience in the interview process. None of which are bad things. Lofton would be an interesting pick up. I could also see Jauron brought on as DC is Bates doesn't follow Sherman. (You can see that I am assuming that Sherman will be hired.)

PTR

At my work (fortune 500 company). Every position has to be posted and the interview process followed. The strange thing is when a position is posted and the person hiring allready knows who he wants, they put it in the summery of the position, that the canidate has been identified. But they still need to interview the minimum of 7 people.

How "minority" do you have to be in order for the team to satisfy this rule? If one of the cadidates' parents was "white", would Tagliabue start an investigation? If the Bills interviewed Rosie Perez, would we then be safe to hire Sherman?

As far as those of you who are saying "Well, maybe this is a chance for Lofton to get a Coordinators job, or get interview experience", don't you think Lofton himself would prefer to get those chances based on his (now sit down, this might shock you) merits???

I think this rule is a slap in the face to black coaches. Every time a great coach like Ted Cottrell gets an interview I wonder if he thinks, while boarding the plane to go to Buffalo (or whatever city is interviewing him), "is this just so the Bills can meet the minority interviewing requirement?"

Whereas I won't disagree that the rule is a bit wierd, it does serve the purpose of elevating the profile of young coaching talent.

Who heard of Lofton in connection with a HC job prior to this? Marv and The Bills do him a service by bringing his name into the mix. You might begin to hear his name more frequently when vacancies become available next year.

I wish the Bills would bring in Donnie Henderson of the Jets instead. Everything I've heard about the guy is positive. Uber bright and probably deserved some serious HC  interviews this year.

573746[/snapback]

Him and Bates are elite Coordinators.

Did you ever interview for a job you didn't think you'd get?  I have.  I figured it was a learning experience, and it let my boss, my boss' peers, and my boss' bosses know that I was interested in advancing my career.

Maybe the same thing goes here?

573608[/snapback]

well said, and I have to believe that is the case here. I also think that Lofton has already had that conversation with Marv.

Marv is just genuine and sincere enough in his approach that Lofton might say, "ok Marv, I know the minority interviewing requirements...and I am willing to be your "token" (god i hate that term), as long as you give me consideration for the OC".