My "mock" Bills off-season.

Bills FAs- Josh Stamer (RFA) Resigned, Justin Bannan (UFA) Not resigned, Kevin Thomas (UFA) Resigned, Mario Haggan (RFA) Resigned, Mike Schneck (UFA) Resigned, Nate Clements (UFA) Franchise tagged, Ron Edwards (UFA) Not Resigned, Ryan Denney (UFA) Not Resigned, Sam Aiken (UFA) resigned, Shane Matthews (UFA) Most likely to retire, Trey Teague (UFA) Not resigned.

Cuts- Eric Moulds (Save approx. $5,500,000) and Mike Williams (Save approx. $4,900,000)

Trades- Nate Clements to CIN for their first.

Now our cap room is approx. 21,400,000.

FA Signings- DT Rocky Bernard http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/301984

WR Antonio Bryant

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/302179

RB Rock Cartwright

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/301996

C Lecharles Bentley

Draft-

1a.) OT D. Ferguson or OTM.Mcneill

1b.) CB Tye Hill

2.) OG Taitusi “Deuce” Lutui

3a.) DE Julian Jenkins

3b.) SS Donte Whitner

4.) DT Kyle Williams

5.) OG Will Allen

6.) MLB Ray Henderson

7.) C Chris Morris

2006 Depth Chart

Quarterback

1. J.P. Losman

2. Kelly Holcomb

3. Tory Woodbury

Running Backs

1. Willis McGahee

2. Rock Cartwright

3. Shaud Williams

4. Lionel Gates

Fullbacks

1. Daimon Shelton

Tight End

1. Kevin Everett

2. Tim Euhus

3. Ryan Neufeld

Wide Receivers

1.Lee Evans

2.Antonio Bryant

3.Josh Reed

4.Roscoe Parrish

5.Sam Aiken

6.Jonathan Smith

LT

1. D. Ferguson or M. Mcneill

2. M. Gandy

3. G Jerman

LG

1. T. Lutui

2. J. Geisinger

3. W. Allen

C

1. L. Bentley

2. D. Preston

3. C. Morris

RG

1. C. Chris Villarrial

2. J. Geisinger

3. W. Allen

RT

1. J. Peters

2. M. Gandy

3. G Jerman

LE

1. C. Kelsay

2. J. Jenkins

3. E. Powell

DT

1. S. Adams

2. R. Bernard

3. T. Anderson

4. K. Williams

OLB

1. T. Spikes

2. A. Crowell

3. J. Posey

4. J. Stamer

MLB

1. L. Fletcher

2. R. Henderson

CB

1. T. McGee

2. T. Hill

3. E. King

4. J. Greer

5. K. Thomas

FS

1. T. Vincent

2. R. Baker

3. J. Leonhard

SS

1. L. Milloy

2. D. Whitner

K

R. Lindell

P

B. Moorman

2 rookies and a 1st year starter on the OL? to much to work in all at once............it would be an even bigger mess then last year.......i agree we need to upgrade those spots, but we need at least one vet free agent.........

The benefit would be the cap hit on a low first round pick CB would be far less than that of a franchised CB.

568136[/snapback]

That's the only benefit. The problem I have with it is that we'd also be trading a proven quality CB for a completely unproven rookie. Nate Clements certainly had a down year, no question, but there's little reason to believe he won't bounce back. He's young and has no injury history.

I think they'd be better off using the franchise tag on Clements to keep him and give him a chance to recover from a poor 2005 than trading him and using the pick on a CB.

If you want to trade him for a 1st round pick and take another position, I think that's fine. I'd do that. But to trade him for a rookie CB just to save cap room is an Arizona Cardinals type of move.

That's the only benefit.  The problem I have with it is that we'd also be trading a proven quality CB for a completely unproven rookie.  Nate Clements certainly had a down year,  no question,  but there's little reason to believe he won't bounce back.  He's young and has no injury history. 

I think they'd be better off using the franchise tag on Clements to keep him and give him a chance to recover from a poor 2005 than trading him and using the pick on a CB. 

If you want to trade him for a 1st round pick and take another position,  I think that's fine.  I'd do that.  But to trade him for a rookie CB just to save cap room is an Arizona Cardinals type of move.

568146[/snapback]

I'm not agreeing with the plan, infact I have one I'll be posting later today/during the week. As I was just telling you what the benefit was, as that was your question. I personally feel we should franchise Nate and keep him.

I'm not agreeing with the plan, infact I have one I'll be posting later today/during the week. As I was just telling you what the benefit was, as that was your question. I personally feel we should franchise Nate and keep him.

568150[/snapback]

I didn't think you were. I was just clarifying my position on it. I've seen that move suggested many times and I don't like it at all. I don't think there is any potential for it to make the team better on the field and all it does is weaken the CB position.

For the record, I feel we should franchise Clements, trade him for a pick, and use it to upgrade another position. That makes the Bills weaker at CB, but stronger at another position with the hope being that it makes them a better overall team. I'm also working on an offseason scenario that I'll be posting in a few days that details this a bit more.

As long as you're in charge, can't ya do something about Shelton?  I'm not happy with the FB play at all.

568144[/snapback]

I agree with The Dean.

And also I think you have too much passion or too much time :lol:

Isn't Marcus McNeil a Right Tackle?

568316[/snapback]

He's played Left Tackle at Auburn but because of his sheer size and the belief he has problems with speed rusher most forecast him to be a Right OT in the pros and part of the reason he's not on my short list of candidates for the Bills to select.

How does that trade NOT make sense.... Another TBD jerko.

568845[/snapback]

Regardless if I think it's a good idea (I'm ambivilent) I have no patience for scenarios that hinge largely on things that are totally out of the control of the team.

First, I don't think Cincy would give up their #1 for a franchised cornerback. Why would they?

Second, what if no team takes Clements for less than a #2 or #3? Then what? How does that change the entire complex of your "plan?"

You may as well have started the plan by saying: "Ok, first we'll get Julius Peppers . . ." It's just as realistic -- or at the very least, not within the control of the team.

How does that trade NOT make sense.... Another TBD jerko.

568845[/snapback]

Lord...of course it makes sense for the Bills. So does trading Tim Anderson for Dwight Freeney. It doesn't mean the other team will be all that willing to do it. I think teams have been hesitant to swap first-rounders for decent players since Donahoe burned Atlanta back in 2003. Travis Henry was a 1,000-yard rusher more than once and the Bills were finally able to get a third-round pick for him.

I mean, your ideas look great on paper but I don't see anyone trading a first-rounder for Clements. And you still haven't made it clear how Buffalo would go about landing D'Brickshaw with either the #8 pick or the ficitional first-rounder received from Cincy. Ferguson is more than likely going in the top five.