4 Seconds...

Fezmid

(just an observation)

I just watched the DirecTV highlights. At the end of the game, Drew had 4 seconds to throw the ball and he ended up throwing the NICE deep ball to Evans. Not sure why the Raiders only rushed 3 on the play (and I was slightly surprised that our OL was able to block three whole defenders...), but it once again proves --give him time and he'll carve you up.

Unfortunately, we don't have time...

CW

Give any starting QB 4 seconds, Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Willis Mcgahee and Travis Henry and they would kick ass.  Drew made one decent throw.  WOOHOO!  Break out the party hats!  WTF he is paid to make good throws

40782[/snapback]

Most NFL quarterbacks DO have 3-4 seconds to make a throw...

CW

(just an observation)

Unfortunately, we don't have time...

CW

40779[/snapback]

You're right, Drew doesn't have the time he needs. And unfortunately he's not going to get it the rest of the year. This line is just not capable of that.....we need to adapt in some other way.

Watch the Raiders game again. He *rarely* got 3 seconds.

That is because every team in the NFL knows how to rattle Drew. Put 8 in the box and blitz all day. Blitzing kills our running game too. Send more blockers then we can block. Drew cant locate the hot read. Blitz Tom Brady or Peyton Manning like that and you will get burned. Blitz Drew like that and you will pile up sacks and force poorly thrown balls.

Did you guys watch the Minn-Philly game Monday nite?

How did Culpepper fair when blitzed or pressured repeatedly and not having time to scan the field? He stunk it up pretty bad and Moss didn't do much either.

Bottom line is, he needed better protection and more time to find an open receiver. Also note those fumbles in the red zone, particularly one right at the goal line. Wow, sounds very familiar somehow.

I'm with Fez on this. This can't be all DB's fault. I'm sure some of it is but not all the blame can be pinned on him.

MM has been saddled with a very sac-less and unmotivated O-line. TD deserves most of the credit here.

It's funny but I know the haters out there miss Ruben Brown now that we are worse off than the last couple of years! Letting him go was a brutal mistake.

They need to design some quick tosses on these blitz situations....like the old Unitas to Mackey quick 8 yard tight end slant.

Drew showed no ability to adjust at the line. I remember on 3rd and 2, the Raiders had every man at the line, and Drew handed to Henry, who got stuffed. He could've called a slant to Moulds or anybody for that matter.

They do need to stretch the defense. They have not done that at all, really, with maybe a couple exceptions.

DB has no pocket presence, none whatsoever. Even if he has 3 seconds, he has no clue where the rush is coming from to move away from it. When he gets blitzed from the backside, he is totally clueless. A QB with his experience should have some awareness of where the rush is coming from. He looks totally lost back there.

Drew's thinking.......If I stand here in the pocket long enough, the defenders will just bounce off of me because I am too big for them to tackkle and I can still make the play.

They need to design some quick tosses on these blitz situations....like the old Unitas to Mackey quick 8 yard tight end slant. 

Drew showed no ability to adjust at the line.  I remember on 3rd and 2, the Raiders had every man at the line, and Drew handed to Henry, who got stuffed.  He could've called a slant to Moulds or anybody for that matter. 

They do need to stretch the defense.  They have not done that at all, really, with maybe a couple exceptions.

40867[/snapback]

There's plenty of blame to go around. If they're going to blitz us all day, then the WR needs to know who is the hot receiver based on the blitz and adjust their route. This not happening.

If you can't throw deep because you have no time, and you can't run because they're bringing more than you can block, then you better damn well all be on the same page and hit them on quick slants, etc. If no one breaks off their routes, what the hell is DB supposed to do? I'm no DB apologist, but this truly is all 11 being on the same page to beat it. Until they get this down, it's going to be more of the same. I would suggest they work on this EVERY day for the next 2 weeks. Once we show we can handle it they will back off and we can start dictating. Of course, I'm not holding my breath :o

I just watched the DirecTV highlights.  At the end of the game, Drew had 4 seconds to throw the ball...

It was a prevent, with the Raiders rushing three. He had more than four seconds.

...and he ended up throwing the NICE deep ball to Evans.

It was a blown coverage prevent by the Raiders.

Not sure why the Raiders only rushed 3 on the play...

It was 4th and 18 near the end of the 4th quarter. Why wouldn't they rush three in such a situation?

(and I was slightly surprised that our OL was able to block three whole defenders...)

Your OL was blocking four defenders quite nicely during the entire game, and even gave Bledsoe more than enough time on the Raiders' countless blitzes. The OL was CERTAINLY not the problem in that game.

but it once again proves --give him time and he'll carve you up.

So Bledsoe will "carve you up" only if you go into a prevent and then blow your coverage and let a receiver get 10 yeards behind the safeties?

Sounds about right.

Drew cant locate the hot read. Blitz Drew like that and you will pile up sacks and force poorly thrown balls.

40799[/snapback]

Drew can locate the hot read but the defense is jamming the receivers long enough that nobody is open. But, I do agree with you on the poorly thrown ball. If Drew gets hit early on, his mechanics fall apart. Instead of holding the ball high, releasing it around his ear and snapping his wrist, Drew keeps the ball close to his chest and shoves the ball out from shoulder height.

Most NFL quarterbacks DO have 3-4 seconds to make a throw...

CW

40784[/snapback]

Check out what Culpepper did on Monday night. There was a Eagle defender coming in unblocked on over half his drop backs and he still made plays. Sure, they ended up making costly mistakes near the goalline that cost them the game (fumble and a holding call), but to have guys running that free on just about every play and the QB still made plays...it's what good QBs do. Any QB in the league can look good when he has enough time.

He probably had less than 2 seconds on most passing plays before he was moving to avoid the big hit! Now several people will repond that they reviewed the tape and calculated that Drew had 4.6 seconds to pass the ball on average. People need to vent, but this is getting CRAZY!

Your OL was blocking four defenders quite nicely during the entire game, and even gave Bledsoe more than enough time on the Raiders' countless blitzes. The OL was CERTAINLY not the problem in that game.

40915[/snapback]

You must be kidding. The OL is most of the problem. Can't pick up the blitz, can't run the ball. We're screwed.