Pet Peeve: Does this grate on anyone else?

SDS

it makes my skin crawl everytime I read that junior high assertion... :doh:

TD was the fuggin' President of the Buffalo Bills and had unprecedented power in the organization. He was NOT going to lose ANY power struggle with anyone he brought into town... he had as much power as he could possibly of had w/o actually owning the team.

Just wanted to get that off my chest...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it makes my skin crawl everytime I read that junior high assertion...  :doh:

TD was the fuggin' President of the Buffalo Bills and had unprecedented power in the organization.  He was NOT going to lose ANY power struggle with anyone he brought into town... he had as much power as he could possibly of had w/o actually owning the team.

567133[/snapback]

He's still bitter

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/image/nfl/bill105.jpg

Agreed, but things can change mighty fast. He was also "the man" in Pittsburgh until the team encountered success and he lost out in a power struggle with the very coach he hired.

I don't know enough to assert that he "wouldn't" hire a powerful coach. But at the same time, I find it rather curious that he hired some of the guys he did.

TD was the fuggin' President of the Buffalo Bills and had unprecedented power in the organization.  He was NOT going to lose ANY power struggle with anyone he brought into town... he had as much power as he could possibly of had w/o actually owning the team.

567133[/snapback]

567133[/snapback]

No doubt. It *IS* a stupid notion. I believe that Tom Donahoe did his best, and his best wasn't good enough. He wanted to succeed. He made a mistake in not hiring John Fox. People make mistakes. But Gregg Williams will be a good HC in his next stint. As will Mularkey, I believe. Most good coaches don't find success until their 2nd stint. I'll still hold a candle for Kirk Ferentz (unlike many others, I do believe that head coaching a college team qualifies as a 'first stint'), but short of that, I'd rather not see them bring in another coordinator.

Buffalo has become THE place to learn on the job, fail, and move on. We're all sick of that.

:doh: Hard to hire a "power" coach given the paltry salary Ralph was willing to pay. Greg Williams at 800,000 and Mularkey not much more. MM was lowest paid coach in the league when he resigned. Greg williams makes 2.6 million per as as defensive coordinator in DC

Well your skin can crawl with that assertion, but my skin crawls everytime I think of the power that SOB had and abused.

He had all the power, picked bad coaches, had some poor drafts, screwed with the fans, was arrogant, and paranoid....That made my skin crawl....

and by the way he did pick people he could control because he didn't want another Cowher...he loves people that owe him something...see Pat Williams, Reuben Brown etc etc etc

Or was it he liked to meddle and knew an established HC wouldn't allow him ?

You don't think losing the power struggle to Cowher affected his hiring practices ?

I do.

567158[/snapback]

he dotted that "i" when he demanded to be team president.

The ONLY thing that would cost him his job was failure on the field - no coach was going to supplant him.

Isn't this water under the bridge?

567134[/snapback]

no it isn't... once the effects of TD are no longer bogging this team down.. it will be water under the bridge...

water under the bridge??? goodnight!

Given Mularkey's actions this past week, would you seriously call him a strong, tough head coach?

567204[/snapback]

But the two aren't related. MM could be the biggest kitty walking the sidelines, but it doesn't mean TD had that trait as a requirement. In essence, people are trying to say that to save TD's job he would only hire these pussies who were doomed to fail, thus costing him job....

This is not a Shakespearian tragedy... He demanded power when he was hired. He wasn't GM - he was team president.

I think we've built a dam here to ensure none of the water gets under the bridge.  :doh:

567201[/snapback]

People keep bringing it up - even today.... just had to let one last post out of my fingers before I let it go.

he dotted that "i" when he demanded to be team president.

The ONLY thing that would cost him his job was failure on the field - no coach was going to supplant him.

567222[/snapback]

Demanded ? That's not how it went down. Ralph stated publicly he wanted to become less involved and wished to turn over the day to day operations at age 82.

I still blame Ralph for this current organizational image problem but TD was anything but just a GM on the football side. During practices, I viewed him sticking his nose in huddles and standing right next to players during drills. When Lindell practiced FG's, he'd stand almost on top of the holder, watching his kicks. Then directly behind him, right in his personal space. Your not a coach Tom and the sidelines are over there. :doh:

The suite he bought was directly behind the seats where I sit. For the last 2 years, he was never in it. He stood right behind the coaches in the booth as they tried to call plays.

An established Veteran Coach would have told him to get the hell out of his way and let him coach. First time HC's like Williams or Mularkey wouldn't have the sack to tell him that. He knew that when he hired them.

Mularkey obviously wasn't the mastermind behind dumping Bledsoe and just handing the starting QB job to JP, without Veteran competition. It should have been Mulakeys decision. Obviously, Mularkey favored Holcomb.

I viewed TD as a controlling micro manager who just couldn't delegate.

He meddled and showed it as clear as day.