For everyone who doesn't want Haz or martz

colin

OK.

i have seen more sarcastic and dismissive remarks about hazz and martz here than any other coaching candidate.

I have seen people criticise hazz because of his record.

the thing is, NO has sucked as a franchise for ever and he didn't have a terrible record with them.

they had 16 road games last year, he won them their first and only ever play off game, and he was in a VERY tough division (atlanta, TB and Carolina, over the previous 3 seasons one of these teams made it to the NFC championship game, and two of them won it!) and accept for last season always was ahead of one of those teams.

if you don't like hazz because of his record, you HAVE to like Martz because of his.

no fired head coach has nearly the results that martz has had over the years, both as an OC and HC.

if you don't like either, who should be the coach?

please don't point out annecdotal stuff (Martz never runs, hazz was mean to my buddy hull!) unless you are going to point out all the annecdotes for all the coaches.

thanks

I can live with Haslett as the Bill HC should they decide to go that way.

Martz won't be (and shouldn't be) an option. Mike's a system guy and has a reputation for being VERY inflexible. This team, as currently structured, is not capable of running a Martz offense, IMO. So, that would mean a BIG rebuilding project...something I don't believe Martz would be interested in or Ralph and Marv have time for (literally).

Plus, Martz is a putz and a d-bag. :devil:

OK.

i have seen more sarcastic and dismissive remarks about hazz and martz here than any other coaching candidate.

the thing is, NO has sucked as a franchise for ever and he didn't have a terrible record with them.

they had 16 road games last year, he won them their first and only ever play off game, and he was in a VERY tough division (atlanta, TB and Carolina, over the previous 3 seasons one of these teams made it to the NFC championship game, and two of them won it!) and accept for last season always was ahead of one of those teams.

if you don't like hazz because of his record, you HAVE to like Martz because of his.

no fired head coach has nearly the results that martz has had over the years, both as an OC and HC.

please don't point out annecdotal stuff (Martz never runs, hazz was mean to my buddy hull!) unless you are going to point out all the annecdotes for all the coaches.

thanks

566803[/snapback]

Sorry to pour water on your Haslett bonfire but I have to do this, read this:

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/articles.aspx?aid=5946

Rock bottom for us Bills fans would be the hiring of the FIRED COACH of the NEW ORLEANS SAINTS, just because he used to play for the Bills a long time ago. Worst decision ever for a team that needs some REAL direction and leadership. Haslett has none of these qualities.

Jesus Christ could descend from heavan on a Ritz® Cracker and coach the Bills, and someone would still find a way to complain

566960[/snapback]

I for one, would complain about his choice of cracker. ("Everything's better when it sits on a Ritz", my ass!)

I'm sure there would be some discussion of the lenth of his hair, his beard and his penchant for sandals.

Do you think JC would be a no-nonsense coach or a nonsense coach? I hear he gets kinda preachy at times.

Of course, Ralph would like the fact that he would save alot of money on team meals by really getting the most out of a few fishes and loaves of bread.

Now, if he could turn the water at the Ralph into beer...he'd be a real hit with the fans.

But...I could see him getting all hollier-than-thou at press conferences after a loss...breaking out the cross...showing the holes in his hands and feet to make you feel bad...that sort of thing.

I for one, would complain about his choice of cracker.  ("Everything's better when it sits on a Ritz", my ass!)

I'm sure there would be some discussion of the lenth of his hair, his beard and his penchant for sandals.

Do you think JC would be a no-nonsense coach or a nonsense coach?  I hear he gets kinda preachy at times.

Of course, Ralph would like the fact that he would save alot of money on team meals by really getting the most out of a few fishes and loaves of bread.

Now, if he could turn the water at the Ralph into beer...he'd be a real hit with the fans.

But...I could see him getting all hollier-than-thou at press conferences after a loss...breaking out the cross...showing the holes in his hands and feet to make you feel bad...that sort of thing.

566979[/snapback]

don't forget the battle of egos with JP as to which one of them is really the Bills Saviour

Martz? As in Mike Martz? The guy with the sludge critters in his pump? The guy that told the Rams coaching staff that none of them should show up for the last game of the season?

I'd rather have Wayne Fontes, thank you very much.

Martz? As in Mike Martz?  The guy with the sludge critters in his pump?  The guy that told the Rams coaching staff that none of them should show up for the last game of the season?

I'd rather have Wayne Fontes, thank you very much.

566986[/snapback]

OK how bout this one:

Wayne Fonts or Rich Kotite? :doh:

Vermeil, Schottenheimer, or Ferentz.  Those may not be realistic, but that's who I want to coach the Bills to answer your question.

566964[/snapback]

That's just it. With the minor exception of Ferentz, those are unrealistic choices. Everyone is complaining about Haslett, Martz, Sherman, etc. but those are the names that are out there like it or not.

That's just it.  With the minor exception of Ferentz, those are unrealistic choices.  Everyone is complaining about Haslett, Martz, Sherman, etc. but those are the names that are out there like it or not.

567008[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm just saying I don't like it.

Jesus Christ could descend from heavan on a Ritz® Cracker and coach the Bills, and someone would still find a way to complain

566960[/snapback]

the fact that he uses ritz crackers shows he cannot find methods of good quality transportation

not a guy i want coaching the bills

Bad choices.  Retired, coach of the Chargers (still), not leaving Iowa.

567041[/snapback]

Yes but why bother discussing realistic candidates when it's clear they all suck? :doh:

For the record, I'd love Parcells, Belicheck, Bill Walsh, Scotty Bowman, Ara Parseghian, and the ghost of Vince Lombardi. I realize those aren't very realistic, but those would be my top choices.

Rock bottom for us Bills fans would be the hiring of the FIRED COACH of the NEW ORLEANS SAINTS, just because he used to play for the Bills a long time ago. Worst decision ever for a team that needs some REAL direction and leadership. Haslett has none of these qualities.

566949[/snapback]

ok, so haslett started his starting QB instead of the back up who turned out better than his starter?

didn't marty do that when he had grbac in over gannon and KC failed to make the SB inspite of home field and the NFL's best record?

gannon went on to kick ass for the raiders.

sure haslett is not perfect, and his team sucked this year. that team also has the worst owner and some of the worst management in the NFL.

the postives (only play off win in NO history) outweight the negatives (bad disciplin, starting the wrong QB) considering the circumstances (that team lost more talent than any other while haslett was there and ditka saddled them with a problem child RB and a lack of other young players) and i'm willing to throw out his last year (katrina).

the bottom line is if you don't like haslett because you don't think he did enough record and play off wise, then the clear choice is martz because he is the one coach who did have success that is being canned.

if you think martz is a bad candidate for some other non record reasons, then using haslett's record as the reason not to hire him (and i think his record wasn't that bad) is a bit dishonest

sherman took a built up franchise no where. he also more or less just decided to ride favre however he went. if he was smarter he might have avoided all those big melt down games that favre likes to have in the playoffs.

Yes but why bother discussing realistic candidates when it's clear they all suck?  :doh:

For the record, I'd love Parcells, Belicheck, Bill Walsh, Scotty Bowman, Ara Parseghian, and the ghost of Vince Lombardi.  I realize those aren't very realistic, but those would be my top choices.

567047[/snapback]

We all know Vermeil never comes out of retirement, having approached Charles Barkley's record of most times retired.

Ferentz is going to leave Iowa within 3 years if you don't think so you're fooling yourself. It just sucks for us that he would never come to Buffalo because the organization is such a disaster.

Marty rumors are being discussed - stranger things have happened.

Individually none are likely but collectively it wouldn't be the biggest shock ever if Ralph shelled out some cash to get 1 of these guys.

Please continue with your lame Junior High straw-man humor though.

Vermeil, Schottenheimer, or Ferentz.  Those may not be realistic, but that's who I want to coach the Bills to answer your question.

566964[/snapback]

ok

so seeing that none of them are available (good list, but let's assume they aren't there because that is what it looks like right now), who would you like and why?

one of the points i am making is that we can turn our nose up at coaches (and sure i might be wrong wanting haz) but you have to rank them by who is there, not who we might like.

You suck at posting

567067[/snapback]

:doh::doh: Good comeback. What's next, a yo-momma-so-fat joke?? Thanks for taking part in the discussion.

Incase it was unclear to you (which clearly it was since you took such exception to my parody) my question is, what's the point of throwing out names that have snowballs chances in hell of coming here? The reality is, we are faced with names such as: Haslett, Sherman, Martz, Cottrell, Gray, Payton, et al. Chances are good that one of those guys will be the next HC. So which do you prefer??

If you want to answer reasonably, I'll be around. If you wanna keep posting insults, I'll be around for that too. Till then, lighten up Shirley.

the bottom line is if you don't like haslett because you don't think he did enough record and play off wise, then the clear choice is martz because he is the one coach who did have success that is being canned.

if you think martz is a bad candidate for some other non record reasons, then using haslett's record as the reason not to hire him (and i think his record wasn't that bad) is a bit dishonest

sherman took a built up franchise no where.  he also more or less just decided to ride favre however he went.  if he was smarter he might have avoided all those big melt down games that favre likes to have in the playoffs.

567053[/snapback]

Martz is not coming to Buffalo because Bobby April WILL be our special teams coordinator next season. That's the end of that story.

As for Haslett, I think it's both funny and sad that the Bills would contemplate handing over the reigns to the fired coach of the New Orlean Saints. Just saying that sounds too funny to me. If it wasn't for the fact that Haslett once played for the Bills the fans would lynch someone for even considering that loser. Think of it for a second....Haslett will be going against Belichik and Saban twice every year. This is hands down a colassal mismatch to our two biggest rivals.

The Bills would be well served to give a hard look at Ron Rivera. This guy is tough as nails and his Chicago defense IS what the Bills thought they were at the beginning of the 2005 season. It looks as if the Jets will land Mangini so I think that Rivera is the only other top candidate out there. Payton? I do like the fact that he's served for Parcells and has done a very good job for him. But I'd either want Ron Rivera or I'd want Levy to ask Vermiel if he was really serious about calling it quits.

The Bills will be sorry if they think Haslett will be able to handle our out of control ballclub.

OK.

thanks

566803[/snapback]

I don't hate Haslett only because of his record. I hate Haslett because he is a POS! He is not a "character guy". Consider, that he crossed a picketline that his teamates were in and he "outed" former teamate, Kent Hull for steroids. To me, that is selling-out to buy his own individual future.

Also, I hate why people like him:

- he looks mean

- he kicked bradshow in the head

- he played for the Bills ( but clearly dies not understand Buffalo if he crossed a picket line);

- He yells a lot (i.e. ra! ra! guy)

None of these characteristics are qualifiactions for a HC. Maybe for a professional wrestler, but not a HC.

It also concerns me that he was unable to keep a disciplined team in NO. The team was on the brink of chaos internally.

All in all, I hate him. I find comparisons between him and Belichick's cleveland experience laughable and beyond reason.

He is all about "team", eh? One of those "character guys."

Get'er done Marv!

Incase it was unclear to you (which clearly it was since you took such exception to my parody) my question is, what's the point of throwing out names that have snowballs chances in hell of coming here? 

Because there's better than a snowball's chance in hell. If I was more motivated I would link threads re: Gibbs & Saban "They're NEVER going to _".

Snowballs chance in hell would be somebody like Jimmy Johnson, who would never go to someplace cold, ever.

Schottenheimer is fighting with the Chargers front office, likes Buffalo, used to play here, he's not a big city guy having been in KC & Cleveland, he moves around a lot, etc. IMO we'd have better than a snowballs chance in hell to get him if Ralph made an effort.

The reality is, we are faced with names such as: Haslett, Sherman, Martz, Cottrell, Gray, Payton, et al.  Chances are good that one of those guys will be the next HC.  So which do you prefer?? 

567071[/snapback]

I would take Payton among that group by default.

Sherman is one of the worst gameday coaches in the league. I saw him try to give away a game vs. Minnesota last year by going for it on 4th down when they were up by 14 in the 4th Qtr and could've kicked a makable FG with a good kicker - it damn near cost them the game. Other times I've seen him chicken out when it was clear going for it was correct, like the playoff game in Philly when he punted on 4th&1 from the Eagles 40 when Ahman Green had 200 yards rushing. Bill Simmons wrote a few years ago that "he's one of the three coaches in the NFL I think I could outcoach in a 3 hour span along with Greg Williams and Dave Wandsteadt". I pretty much agree with that.

Cottrell is no good - the Jets defense sucked under him and has gotten much better since his departure with basically the same players. The Vikings defense underachieved as well, though they finally started to play well towards the end of the year.

Gray - you've got to be kidding me.

Haslett - good choice if you like penalties & turnovers. As I've said 1,000 times I give him a mulligan for this year. Still has a sub .500 record at home with above average talent on both sides of the line of scrimmage....and he's going to win with the Bills trenches? Right.

Martz - C'mon, he makes Greg Williams look like Tuna in managing a clock. I read an SI article that described his players begging him to run the ball in the SB vs. NE's dime defense and he literally said "F- that, we're going to win my way". No thanks.

I would probably take Fassel over all of these guys because I watched a lot of Giants games when he was there and he was a lot like Wade IMO - his teams dominated games statistically and got killed by turnovers, special teams & bad officiating. If April is maintained the special teams shouldn't be a factor, and bad officiating will be a factor no matter who is coaching Buffalo, so that's moot. He also did a good job vs. the Eagles & division foes.

Anyway, I've posted all this stuff like 100 times over and nobody has ever responded, so whatever.

Martz is too much like Gilbride to be considered for offensive coordinator, let alone head coach. I liked that gum-chewing replacement for Martz though. That guy seemed to get a lot more out of the Rams than Martz did, and his playcalling was more run-oriented and more effective. If the pool of HC candidates is weak, why not give this guy serious consideration?

Because there's better than a snowball's chance in hell.  If I was more motivated I would link threads re: Gibbs & Saban "They're NEVER going to _". 

Snowballs chance in hell would be somebody like Jimmy Johnson, who would never go to someplace cold, ever. 

Schottenheimer is fighting with the Chargers front office, likes Buffalo, used to play here, he's not a big city guy having been in KC & Cleveland, he moves around a lot, etc.  IMO we'd have better than a snowballs chance in hell to get him if Ralph made an effort.

I would take Payton among that group by default. 

Sherman is one of the worst gameday coaches in the league.  I saw him try to give away a game vs. Minnesota last year by going for it on 4th down when they were up by 14 in the 4th Qtr - it damn near cost them the game.  Other times I've seen him kick a FG when it was clear going for it was best.  He also seems like too much of a "player's coach" for my taste. 

Cottrell is no good - the Jets defense sucked under him and has gotten much better since his departure with basically the same players.  The Vikings defense underachieved as well, though they finally started to play well towards the end of the year. 

Gray - you've got to be kidding me.

Haslett - good choice if you like penalties & turnovers.  As I've said 1,000 times I give him a mulligan for this year.  Still has a sub .500 record at home with above average talent on both sides of the line of scrimmage....and he's going to win with the Bills trenches?  Right.

Martz - C'mon, he makes Greg Williams look like Tuna in managing a clock.  I read an SI article that described his players begging him to run the ball in the SB vs. NE's dime defense and he literally said "F- that, we're going to win my way".  No thanks. 

I would probably take Fassel over all of these guys because I watched a lot of Giants games when he was there and he was a lot like Wade IMO - his teams dominated games statistically and got killed by turnovers, special teams & bad officiating.  If April is maintained the special teams shouldn't be a factor, and bad officiating will be a factor no matter who is coaching Buffalo, so that's moot.  He also did a good job vs. the Eagles & division foes.

Anyway, I've posted all this stuff like 100 over and nobody has ever responded like ever, so whatever.

567096[/snapback]

Well I will. Although I can't guarantee this post won't suck.

Fassell is definitely at the top of my list. He's got an attitude which I think the Bills desparately need. Two things about Fassel's tenure in NY stick out to me:

1) Shaking things up by placing starters on a terrible ST unit

2) Promising his team will be in the playoffs midway through the 2000 season. It would be one thing if the team didn't respond to that and he ended up looking like a fool, but they did respond by going on a tear and ending up in the SB. Fassell's offense (Payton's as well) was very good and I wouldn't have a problem with either of them.

Worst decision ever for a team that needs some REAL direction and leadership. Haslett has none of these qualities.

566949[/snapback]

The Haslett bandwagon must be stopped. He would be a horrible head coach for the Bills.

Sherman, the OC for Dallas, Mariucci, the DC for the Bears all are superior to Haslett.

Forget Haslett, Gray, Cottrell, etc.