Updated Prediction- Bobby April HC

Mark VI

I realize Haslett is a strong consideration because he wouldn't treat Buffalo as just another job. All the other former NFL HC's don't really excite me at all. I just wonder how good Haslett actually is ? I've seen him have some bad meltdowns ( roids ? snicker..) after tough losses and he might not the idea of having certain asst. coaches thrust upon him. Plus the $$ issue.

All the speculation about name guys from outside the organization is probably a longshot. This is Ralph and Marv we are talking about. Modrak will offer his 2 cents but these guys are creatures of comfort and like people they know...Especially Ralph after dealing with TD. That may upset many but sometimes the people you know aren't bad candidates.

This screams of a setup, which I'm actually fine with. Having met Bobby April, I know this guy is uber sharp and has the ability to delegate. Hell, that's all Marv EVER did ! If Sam Wyche goes upstairs and calls our plays and Ted Cottrell returns to run the D, explain to me how this is a bad thing ?

April would do well as the front man. He, like Cottrell and Wyche, enjoys enormous popularity with the players. If you walk out April,Cottrell and Wyche out in front of the players on Day 1 of mini-camp, you won't have any worries of whether the players will play hard. The respect would be instant.

I was around to watch Sam Wyche run the Cinci Offense in the 80's-early 90's. That was one of the greatest Offenses I ever saw, with exceptional playcalling.

Marv hired Cottrell and likes him a lot. When he's given talent, can make the D play far above their abilities and would be a significant upgrade over Gray. He's gotten a raw deal along a couple of NFL stops. We need asst. coaches on D and Ted Cottrell could immediately fill out the staff with quality.

Wyche upstairs would also give Losman some added confidence, since Sam is his biggest backer.

Bobby April- HC

Sam Wyche- OC calling the plays

Ted Cottrell - Asst. HC and DC.

Not a bad setup at all. Then we could put all this " Infastructure " panic to bed. Marv is moving back here. Modrak will be helping ID quality Vet Free Agents in March, plus running the Draft in April.

Ok. My work is done here...Time to forward the plan to Ralph and get back to reading about fuure FA's and Draft possibilities.

I would not like that, it would represent a "cheap" hire.

Ralph has to open up the wallet and budget at least $7 million for the coaches.

$2 million for the HC

$1.25 million for each of Coord.

and another $2.5 million minimum for the rest of the staff with bonus money in the contracts if the team makes the playoffs.

If not forget it, getting good coaches will be too difficult.

1. Mike Shermon

2. Jim Fassel

after that, as long as they have coached in the NFL before as a HC.

Good post and I agree for the most part. But I do believe that for a HC to be successful he needs to be surrounded by good assistants that command respect.

On that note bring back Cottrell for DC!

566571[/snapback]

agree with Wyche

totally diagree with Cottrell-

he's still riding on the coattails of Wade

I could live with that Mark.

Only one point of disagreement.....I heard Haslett say on Sirius Radio that he would consider a coordinator position. This indicates to me that he would not demand huge money, especially with his wife said to be a Buffalo girl.

Either way, thanks for one more great post.

I would not like that, it would represent a "cheap" hire.

Ralph has to open up the wallet and budget at least $7 million for the coaches.

$2 million for the HC

$1.25 million for each of Coord.

and another $2.5 million minimum for the rest of the staff with bonus money in the contracts if the team makes the playoffs.

If not forget it, getting good coaches will be too difficult.

1. Mike Shermon

2. Jim Fassel

after that, as long as they have coached in the NFL before as a HC.

566569[/snapback]

So he who spends the most wins? That logic is simply baffling.

I was a little disconcerted with ML's comment about "retaining" existing coaches. Sounds like the opposite of a vote of confidence for existing coaches. Given the way Miami is paying far above top dollar for assistant coaches it would not surprise me that if we do not act fairly quickly "retaining" April and Wyche will not be an option. I see April as stretch for head coach, but one that is probably worth the risk. He is a very high quality coach at special teams, and has all the tools to be a head coach, but it is a BIG jump. Further, I think being Head Coach in Buffalo may not be the position of dreams for many of the candidates. This is a delicate time and Marv had better watch the "retaining" language.

agree with Wyche

totally diagree with Cottrell-

he's still riding on the coattails of Wade

566587[/snapback]

Well, he ran a pretty good defense in Minnesota...which happens to be nowhere near where Wade is right now.

I think part of that had to do with the personnel. Cottrell brought in the players he worked with in Buffalo and they played hard for him. This is one reason Cottrell might be a good HC - players will buy into his scheme & philosophy and run it close to perfection.

Good God !  That's terrible.

- health issues

- trashed Buffalo in a road loss last season

- his teams couldn't play worth a damn outside the dome

I'm sure he's the one.  :devil:

566599[/snapback]

My inside sources tell me that Marv and Mike Martz are close. Is health may play into this and he may not be able to coach, will see.

My inside sources tell me that Marv and Mike Martz are close. Is health may play into this and he may not be able to coach, will see.

566630[/snapback]

My inside sources tell me that Ralph and Marv took a long nap right after the press conference, had some hot tea, an early supper and went to bed. They both had to be reminded at the meeting this morning that Mike Mularkey had resigned and Marv was quoted as saying "Mike who?" and Ralph responded "zzzzzz". I feel we are in great shape right now and I feel confident going to Vegas and putting some cash down on the Bills in '06. I need a drink !

Bobby April- HC

Sam Wyche- OC calling the plays

Ted Cottrell - Asst. HC and DC.

Not a bad setup at all. Then we could put all this " Infastructure " panic to bed. Marv is moving back here. Modrak will be helping ID quality Vet Free Agents in March, plus running the Draft in April.

566567[/snapback]

I like it.

I actually wouldn't have much of a problem with that. For one, hiring a coach with ST experience guarantees that our ST won't fall off. Plus, it means we can hire an OC and DC who will have the ability to run their own ship, rather than having an "offensive" or "defensive" minded head coach looking over their shoulder, ready to take over if they fail.

My reservations include: Will Sam be able to handle the position, given his health? Will he even want to? As for Cottrell, I was never fully sold on him as a DC. The respect thing carries a lot of weight, but is there a particular reason he would want to come back to Buffalo in the same position he is currently in? I don't think it would be bad to see Haz at DC, but again, I'm not sure he'd want that position here.