The news from OBD just keeps getting

Buftex

I am not claiming to be the biggest Mike Mularkey fan, and I am not claiming to be his biggest critic either. Originally, I wanted a clean sweep of the Bills front office, or for the old regime to be given one more year to right the ship. I think TD was bright enough, Mularkey as well, to make some strides next season, with their back against the wall.

The other option was firing them both. Once the dust (seemingly) settled, I became a little more comfortable with Mularkey coming back, it was Marv Levy (much as I love the guy) as GM that I was not so comfortable with. I have too much respect for him, though, not to take a wait and see approach.

This news coming out today though, that Mularkey is quitting, has me feeling pretty miserable about the Bills situation again. If the reasons given are true, that Mularkey is quitting because he feels uncomfortable with the new structuring of the team, I have to say, I don't blame him. I have the sinking feeling that the team is bound for some very dark days in the near future...I hope I am very wrong. As bad as the last few seasons have been nothing feels right about the way this whole thing has played out. The Bills organization is starting to appear very shaky, like the begining of a "Bungles" era.

I just think as long as Ralph Wilson is going to be vowing, like it is a good thing, to be more involved with the day to day operations of the team, the worse things will play out on the field...it seems like the Bills are losing touch...Marv is the wild card!

I have been very opposed to hiring Jim Haslett as HC, but now, I think he may be our only hope. A guy, who seemingly, more than anything else, wants to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and who would likely pass up much more attractive job opportunities elsewhere, just to be able to wake up in the morning, knowing he was HC of the Buffalo Bills. It seems the past is our only hope, as pathetic as it seems....

I have to start visiting the PPP board more often. Getting B word-slapped by AD and the gang is nowhere near as depressing as the Bills have become... B-)

ps- Does anyone else think that the comment that Jim Kelly made about Mularkey had to sting just a little, and get him thinking that, yeah, maybe Jimbo is right? When I read it, it struck me as a particularly harsh criticism, coming from Mr Buffalo Bill, who was trying to put a positive spin on everything else....

I have the sinking feeling that the team is bound for some very dark days in the near future...I hope I am very wrong. 

563927[/snapback]

As opposed to the glory days of 2000-2005?? I can't see how it can get any worse than it has been lately...

As opposed to the glory days of 2000-2005?? I can't see how it can get any worse than it has been lately...

563957[/snapback]

I am talking about the perception of the franchise. Say what you will about TD, but the Bills, under his guidance, were viewed as a strong, competent organization. Mularkey is correct, IMO, in that it will be very difficult for the Bills to attract quality free agents, and coaches. I think Wilson is unwittingly ruining the reputation of his own franchise, a reputation that had been pretty bad for the teams first 30 years...

I don't know how old you are, or long you have been following the Bills. But a 40 year old, I can assure you, the Bills of 2005 were nowhere near the laughing stock of the NFL, as were the 1983, 1984 and 1985 Bills....OJ Simpsons' star gave them there only real credibility in the 1970's. Guess why they got him? Because they were so awful in the late 1960's too! It can get much worse...

Mularkey is correct, IMO, in that it will be very difficult for the Bills to attract quality free agents, and coaches. 

563985[/snapback]

maybe now that he's gone, we won't have a problem getting coaches and free agents. Hell, we haven't had a coach since Wade Phillips.

I am talking about the perception of the franchise.  Say what you will about TD, but the Bills, under his guidance, were viewed as a strong, competent organization. 

563985[/snapback]

I want to call you out on this. TD is not as respected around the league as he was when he first came here.

He has made some major personel gaffes that impacted MM. Not the other way around. People are talking around the league and guess what, their pinning our current situation rightfully on him. I highly doubt that TD could get a GM position now or even next year. He will be waiting at least two years to get back and then it will be the Cards or Saints.

I want to call you out on this. TD is not as respected around the league as he was when he first came here.

He has made some major personel gaffes that impacted MM. Not the other way around. People are talking around the league and guess what, their pinning our current situation rightfully on him. I highly doubt that TD could get a GM position now or even next year. He will be waiting at least two years to get back and then it will be the Cards or Saints.

564015[/snapback]

I really disagree with you on that. There are not as many GM openings as there are coaching openings, so he may not get a job this year, but I am sure he will shortly, if he chooses to pursue something.

Also, when the whole "fire TD, or keep TD" thing was going on, I did not here one national observer say anything other than that the Bills would do no better than Donohoe. All of the criticism of TD (much of it warrented, I agree) was regional in its' orgin. Like it or not, ESPN, and other national sports outlets have become very powerful, and can make or break images.

Well, I heard someone on The NFL Network on Sirius lay the blame at his feet recently if that counts for anything.

It doesn't.

People are talking around the league and guess what, their pinning our current situation rightfully on him.

So you've been talking to people around the league?

Who?

From ESPN tonight:

"Since the end to a dismal season, the Buffalo organization has undergone a quick overhaul, and people in the NFL have questioned the Bills' direction."

Yeah, it sure sounds like people around the league are talking about how Donahoe was really the problem. B-)

Don't forget that TD worked for ESPN prior to coming here, so take ESPN's comments with a grain of salt

564243[/snapback]

I understand what you mean, but I think that TD had good relationships with some of the guys at ESPN, not necessarily all of them. ESPN will throw anyone under the bus, to make headlines. A few weeks ago, after the Michael Irving bust thing had finally settled down, they had a story on SportsCenter that I didn't see or hear anyone else, about some jurist in Irvings' coke trial back in his playing days, was saying that he was threatened and intimidated by someone working for Irving. This happened, what? 10 years ago? It wasn't relevent to anything, but was just a chance to bring up a topic that titilates some. Irving is one of their most visable employees for christ sakes!

Don't forget that TD worked for ESPN prior to coming here, so take ESPN's comments with a grain of salt

564243[/snapback]

The quote referenced what "people in the NFL" said, not what "people at ESPN" said.

And I'll give those people a lot more credence than beerme.

It doesn't.

So you've been talking to people around the league?

Who?

From ESPN tonight:

"Since the end to a dismal season, the Buffalo organization has undergone a quick overhaul, and people in the NFL have questioned the Bills' direction."

Yeah, it sure sounds like people around the league are talking about how Donahoe was really the problem.  B-)

564211[/snapback]

So who will he be interviewing with ya think? A team or,

duh nuh nuh

duh nuh nuh

Spin it any way you like, his record here was abysmal. He never made the playoffs, he made two mistakes at HC, major personel mistakes.

I will say that I too question the direction this team is headed. But it sure looks like up from here with him and his all controlling mentality and lousy HC's gone.

Bring on the future! Even if it's the past B-)

And as to who I was talking to, it wouldn't be fair for me to reaveal that Donovan McNabbs mom is making the rounds :P

If all you listen to or watch is one sided, than surely you will assume that point of view.

The quote referenced what "people in the NFL" said, not what "people at ESPN" said.

And I'll give those people a lot more credence than beerme.

564278[/snapback]

Sorry, I guess I should have said people who are in or talk about the NFL all day and night.

Got another bowl of Cheerios you want me to p in?

And as to who I was talking to, it wouldn't be fair for me to reaveal that Donovan McNabbs mom is making the rounds  B-) 

If all you listen to or watch is one sided, than surely you will assume that point of view.

564279[/snapback]

I am not sure what all you mean by this. I listen and watch all the Bills stuff that I can, local or national. Not everyone is like that.

My point was, it seems like a long time ago that guys like Takeo Spikes were begging to come to Buffalo. Illusion or not, TD built a strong franchise, and it appears to be crumbling right now. A rookie GM, and an old guy, go in front of the press, express their belief in a coach that most think should have been canned two weeks ago...and then he turns around and walks out on them...if Ralph was keeping him around for any reason than money, he and Marv would have sold their HC on the program...not emasculated him...if they thought they had, they made their first error...

I am not sure what all you mean by this.  I listen and watch all the Bills stuff that I can, local or national. Not everyone is like that. 

My point was, it seems like a long time ago that guys like Takeo Spikes were begging to come to Buffalo.  Illusion or not, TD built a strong franchise, and it appears to be crumbling right now.  A rookie GM, and an old guy, go in front of the press, express their belief in a coach that most think should have been canned two weeks ago...and then he turns around and walks out on them...if Ralph was keeping him around for any reason than money, he and Marv would have sold their HC on the program...not emasculated him...if they thought they had, they made their first error...

564311[/snapback]

My quote was directed more toward Simon than you buftex.

I also listen and watch all that I can from every available media outlet when I can.

And I have heard more negative things from national media in the last two weeks than I have ever heard about TD.

TD came in strong I will admit, but money talks louder to more free agents than a lot of other things.

Right now I'm thinking how Corey Simon could have helped us this year but we passed if I'm not mistaken.

I am not at all seeing this new situation as roses. But I don't see the last 6 years like that either.

ps- Does anyone else think that the comment that Jim Kelly made about Mularkey had to sting just a little, and get him thinking that, yeah, maybe Jimbo is right?  When I read it, it struck me as a particularly harsh criticism, coming from Mr Buffalo Bill, who was trying to put a positive spin on everything else....

563927[/snapback]

I think I missed that... what'd he say?