(OT) Motorcyclist clocked going 205MPH!

Fezmid

Are you sure there's not some missing punctuation mark there?

As in:  "Driving 140 mph, over the posted speed limit of 65"?

40006[/snapback]

Quite sure. ;)

``I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you Rosened at 200 miles per hour,'' Swanson said. ``But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure.''

CW

And why did they arrest him for DRIVING without a motorcycle license?

Don't you RIDE a motorcycle and DRIVE a car?

"I'm sorry, sir, we clocked your car going 140 mph. And I see you don't have a motorcycle license, so I'll have to ticket you for that too."

;)

;)

Quite sure. ;)

``I'm not entirely sure what would happen if you Rosened at 200 miles per hour,'' Swanson said. ``But it wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure.''

CW

40008[/snapback]

Wow. Damn that IS fast. I was once a passenger in a Benz on a German autobahn at 140 mph and that was enough for me. I hear that if people Rosen on the autobahn, they just plow everything to the side of the road. No point in looking for survivors.

least he won't lose his license.

40025[/snapback]

He'll probably lose his regular license -- the article says he didn't have a motorcycle license (which is different than for a car).

I hope the adrenalin rush was worth it, because this is going to cost him a lot of money and possibly jail time...

CW

When one of the riders shot forward, Loney was ready with his stopwatch. He clicked it once when the motorcycle reached a white marker on the road and again a quarter-mile later.

Does anyone else think the cop might have been a little less than accurate with a stopwatch over a quarter mile? I can't believe that valid tickets are still issued this way. Using a stopwatch over that distance and coming up with a time like "4.39 seconds" is ridiculous.

On the plus side, maybe they can afford a radar gun with this guy's fine ;)

What, no speed wabble at that speed?

I did 140 once on a Kawi KZ, went into a speed wobble, and left a major skid mark in my underwear.

This guy must have a death wish.

Sounds bogus to me. Aerodymanics, tires, tire pressure, control bearing tightness, the aforementioned timing problem (haven't met a cop who sits around with a stopwatch) and many other things make me chalk this up to urban legend.

Same as the billions of claims about automobile top speeds - rolling resistance, rate of production of torque, drag, internal friction, tires, lubrication and cooling capabilities and so on.

Plenty of cars can attain 140 mph...if you shove them out of a C-130 at 20,000 feet. ;)

Wow.  Damn that IS fast.  I was once a passenger in a Benz on a German autobahn at 140 mph and that was enough for me.  I hear that if people Rosen on the autobahn, they just plow everything to the side of the road.  No point in looking for survivors.

40013[/snapback]

I had a 480SL when I lived in Germany. Ran about 145, cruised at about 125. Off ramps were an adventure until you got used to it. After an hour or so at 120-130, 70 seemed like you were parked. Had to double check the speedometer to make sure you didn't do an off ramp Rosen. The first time you pass a police car doing 100 mph is a memorable experience. what's really odd, is because of the discipline there, and everyone following the rules-I felt safer at 130 there than I do at 75 on I-95.

Sounds bogus to me. Aerodymanics, tires, tire pressure, control bearing tightness, the aforementioned timing problem (haven't met a cop who sits around with a stopwatch) and many other things make me chalk this up to urban legend.

40160[/snapback]

It's not an urban legend -- StarTribune.com is the local Minneapolis paper. And it wasn't a cop sitting around with the stopwatch, it was the State Patrol plane; how else would they measure speed? Can't use a radar gun from high up in the sky (I don't think?).

CW

I had a friend who was into motorcycles and he told me that after a certain amount of speed the rider and the bike start to "lift-up." He said that when he was racing he would have to bend over so much that he could hardly see out of his helmet.

This story is simply not true.

Same as the billions of claims about automobile top speeds - rolling resistance, rate of production of torque, drag, internal friction, tires, lubrication and cooling capabilities and so on.

Plenty of cars can attain 140 mph...if you shove them out of a C-130 at 20,000 feet. ;)

40160[/snapback]

I had a Saab once that, after I "doctored" it, would do an easy 120 with plenty of power left over. Even though speed goes as the square root of power, roughly, I'm reasonably confident I had enough to get that above 140.

My current car wil theoretically do 125...but it starts to get that floaty, leaving-the-road feel above 90. Great thing about the Saab, even at 120, that thing felt glued to the road. You always felt that if something bad happened, the car might roll, but it wasn't going airborne...