Freedom: A Buzzword

—In their never-ending quest to niggle in every last facet of our lives, lawmakers will begin to monitor online dating services, insisting that government has an obligation to protect people from "heartache."

More proof that a bigger government is a worse govermnent.

—In the name of public safety, some small town will install cameras on its streets that nab motorists who speed, then send them a ticket in the mail. But in a thinly disguised move to generate more revenue, said town will lower the speed limits after installing the cameras, in effect entrapping motorists into fines they don't deserve.

Are they kidding me? What if they get the addresses wrong when sendng the ticket? Now we have to go the EXACT speed limit? Disgusting.

A debate will break out on whether or not members of Congress should actually read the laws they pass before voting on them. Congress will refuse to adopt the measure.

Actually, a bill has already been sent to Congress for this exact purpose. No sponsors yet (shockingly ;) ). It is designed to make every Senator/Representative sign a sworn affidavit (under penalty of purgury) stating that they have read every word of the bill they are voting on, or every word of the legislation being modified. The theory is that it will reduce the number of bills and/or reduce the complexity of the bills. This bill will never make it to the floor. Hell, it may never receive a sponsor, unless they don't read the bill before sponsoring it. :w00t:

In their never-ending quest to niggle in every last facet of our lives, lawmakers will begin to monitor online dating services, insisting that government has an obligation to protect people from "heartache."

protecting people from "heartache" ;)

Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed jury, i present you with further evidence of Motherment

Actually, a bill has already been sent to Congress for this exact purpose. No sponsors yet (shockingly  ;) ). It is designed to make every Senator/Representative sign a sworn affidavit (under penalty of purgury) stating that they have read every word of the bill they are voting on, or every word of the legislation being modified. The theory is that it will reduce the number of bills and/or reduce the complexity of the bills. This bill will never make it to the floor. Hell, it may never receive a sponsor, unless they don't read the bill before sponsoring it.  :w00t:

560725[/snapback]

If you read all the way to the bottom you'll find that everything in that column has already happened.

Whats absolutely chilling about the red light program is that the company that provided the cameras is splitting the ticket revenue with the city.

There is NO WAY that can be legal is there?

560726[/snapback]

It's "legal"...but last I heard if you challenge a red-light camera ticket in DC, it gets thrown out automatically, since they don't want on record the fact that the company running the cameras gets 40%. ;)

If you read all the way to the bottom you'll find that everything in that column has already happened.

560816[/snapback]

Yeah, the "As you may have guessed (or discovered by clicking the links), farfetched as some of these predictions may sound, they aren't really predictions at all. All of the above actually happened in 2005" part kinda tipped me off. I was referring to a recent bill (not the blog entry linked in the article) being shopped around Washington.

Yeah, the "As you may have guessed (or discovered by clicking the links), farfetched as some of these predictions may sound, they aren't really predictions at all. All of the above actually happened in 2005" part kinda tipped me off. I was referring to a recent bill (not the blog entry linked in the article) being shopped around Washington.

560871[/snapback]

Sorry. Figured you just skimmed it.