7 Sacks

buffalopa

;)  I did not get a chance to see the game and was wondering if there was any player(s) in particular that had problems resulting in the sacks? I know Drew is part of the problem, I was asking about any blocker in particular.......

39923[/snapback]

Nobody in particular. They all looked pretty bad. Sure, Drew took some pretty bad sacks at times, but he also did not have great pass protection, especially in the interior of the line. On only a handful of plays were they able to create a pocket for him to throw from.

Guest Guest_crackur_*
Mobility, we need mobility with this line. I don't know what they were thinking when they brought Drew in.

Losman is going to have a lot to prove.....

39933[/snapback]

the line was good when he came in dummy

The problem starts with the offensive line, but ends with Drew Bledsoe's inability to sense the rush and escape it. And I'm not talking about Michael Vick. I mean just taking a step up in the pocket to get one more second to throw. Drew is incapable of doing even that.

PTR

one thing that i have noticed with drew is that his hesitation kills him more than this line does. with that being said if the recievers aren't there for a read he HAS plenty of time to throw the ball away instead of taking the sack and hanging onto the ball too long.

The big thing I noticed re: the 7 sacks as R. Rich stated had to do with the interior of the O-line. On atleast 4 of the sacks, it would appear on a quick novice glance that either Jennings or M. Williams were playing poorly and giving up their man too quickly on circle rushes. The reality upon closer inspection though was that the interior line was getting pushed back into the area where the pocket should have formed for DB to step up into. Since that area didn't exist, the outside rushers were able to end their path in the quarterback's lap.

On the rollout sack, DB should have unloaded the ball. On one or two of the remaining sacks, it's seems that DB held on too long while waiting for a deeper route to open up.

Shelton had a missed assignment too as mentioned....

The problem starts with the offensive line, but ends with Drew Bledsoe's inability to sense the rush and escape it.  And I'm not talking about Michael Vick.  I mean just taking a step up in the pocket to get one more second to throw.  Drew is incapable of doing even that.

PTR

39954[/snapback]

He did well moving into the pocket against the Jaguars (and in preseason).

You apparantly didn't watch the Raideres game, or you would've seen that there was no pocket to step up into...

CW

He did well moving into the pocket against the Jaguars (and in preseason).

You apparantly didn't watch the Raideres game, or you would've seen that there was no pocket to step up into...

CW

39984[/snapback]

Both of you have valid points. Bledsoe did do a better job of hanging in the pocket and being more decisive in the Jacksonville game BUT, to Promo's defense, Bledsoe did NOT see nearly as much blitzing and outside rushing in the Jacksonville game as he did against Oakland. I think that once he started seeing that, combined with the OL's ineffectiveness, he started falling back into old habits (holding onto the ball, taking sacks instead of throwing the ball away, etc.).

throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty. 1 was a misssed assignment by travis. another was a missed assignment by shelton. jonas was beat once. big mike was beat once. villarial was beat once, and either teague or smith was beat on another. that's six, anyway.

Bledsoe is to blame 20%. The blocking and specifically the Oline deserve 80% of the blame. This line is horrible. Beldsoe is a step and throw qb, like it or not, just like many other qb's currently working in the NFL. How in the world do you do that when the center and guards are running into you 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Yes, Bledsoe should get rid of the ball when he sees things breaking down. However, on many occasions the protection never gets set up or breaks down so quickly he would be penalized for grounding multiple times per game.

Maybe Bledsoe has lost it. There is no way to no for sure because he has no chance of being successful working behind a line like this. No qb can succeed behind this line. Vick, McNabb, etc. would be running for his life not running to make plays. It would be ludicrous to try to let Losman play behind this line they're so bad.

Then the one time Bledsoe does get some protection the receiver drops the ball. Let's face it the Josh Reed highlite was his rookie year and it doesn't look like this year will be any better than last year. Run after the catch receiver's can't drop the ball, ever, to be worth anything. Moulds? He has a penchant for making bad plays at the worst time. Henry? He works very hard for 3-4 yards and a cloud of dust. He also gets a pass sicne the line is so bad.

This team will get better when the OLine gets better and not until.

This team needs to be rebuilt at every position. Let's not even discuss the defense because that isn't Super Bowl caliber either.

Our best player is the punter.

The big thing I noticed re: the 7 sacks as R. Rich stated had to do with the interior of the O-line. On atleast 4 of the sacks, it would appear on a quick  novice glance that either Jennings or M. Williams were playing poorly and giving up their man too quickly on circle rushes. The reality upon closer inspection though was that the interior line was getting pushed back into the area where the pocket should have formed for DB to step up into. Since that area didn't exist, the outside rushers were able to end their path in the quarterback's lap.

On the rollout sack, DB should have unloaded the ball. On one or two of the remaining sacks, it's seems that DB held on too long while waiting for a deeper route to open up.

Shelton had a missed assignment too as mentioned....

39972[/snapback]

I remember Shelton running out into the flat and completely ignoring the blitzing LB that was going right past.

There are countless others.

39969[/snapback]

I saw that too, but I wonder if Shelton thought Bledsoe would see the blitzer and dump the ball over the blitzer to him. Except the blitzer came from Bledsoe's blind side... and Shelton played most of his career with Mark Brunell (a lefty), who WOULD have seen the blitzer.

throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty. 1 was a misssed assignment by travis. another was a missed assignment by shelton. jonas was beat once. big mike was beat once. villarial was beat once, and either teague or smith was beat on another. that's six, anyway.

39990[/snapback]

Hmmmmm......group effort. :D