Russ Grimm for offensive coordinator!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when is OL coach to Offensive Coordinator a lateral move? It's a promotion. You may be right but I don't think the Asst. HC title means anything unless someone else tries to hire him as an OL coach.

560502[/snapback]

The Assistant HC title trumps OC, I believe, and is a gimmick that seems to be growing in popularity around the league as a means of locking up promising assistants (the Bills appear to be giving the title to Bobby April, at least according to another thread I saw here recently).

Sam's overall winning percentage as an NFL HC is under 0.400

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/WychSa0.htm

560492[/snapback]

...for two of the worst ownership/management groups in league history. Don't forget that part. In his eight years in Cincy, Wyche had three losing seasons, two at .500, three winning seasons. Anyone care to guess when their next winning season was after he left in 1991?

(Here's a hint: it ended yesterday.)

As for Tampa, the Bucs went 7-9 in 1995, his last season there. Nothing spectacular... until you realize that was the first time they'd lost fewer than 10 games in a season since 1982.

Wyche invented the no-huddle offense. The coordinator just sits in a nice, quiet booth, so his voice problems shouldn't be a concern. Given a choice, I'd pick Grimm over Wyche anyway, but I'd be happy with either.

560500[/snapback]

I would take Wyche and find a young guy for Sam to mentor and to serve as QB coach/guy who passes the plays onto the QB.

...for two of the worst ownership/management groups in league history. Don't forget that part. In his eight years in Cincy, Wyche had three losing seasons, two at .500, three winning seasons. Anyone care to guess when their next winning season was after he left in 1991?

(Here's a hint: it ended yesterday.)

As for Tampa, the Bucs went 7-9 in 1995, his last season there. Nothing spectacular... until you realize that was the first time they'd lost fewer than 10 games in a season since 1982.

560507[/snapback]

I'd still pass in favor of Grimm. Nice stats vs. a winning tradition...

I'd still pass in favor of Grimm.  Nice stats vs. a winning tradition...

560516[/snapback]

Tennessee had a winning tradition back when Gregg was its defensive coordinator. The Browns had mixed results back when Belichick was the head coach. You can't just say, "Coach X was on a team that won more games than the team Coach Y was on, so X is the better coach." As Lori points out, you have to look at what the coaches in question have done with the talent they've been given. Both Wyche and Grimm have a strong understanding of football and of X's and O's, and either would make a good offensive coordinator.

Tennessee had a winning tradition back when Gregg was its defensive coordinator. The Browns had mixed results back when Belichick was the head coach. You can't just say, "Coach X was on a team that won more games than the team Coach Y was on, so X is the better coach." As Lori points out, you have to look at what the coaches in question have done with the talent they've been given. Both Wyche and Grimm have a strong understanding of football and of X's and O's, and either would make a good offensive coordinator.

560522[/snapback]

So all other things being equal, go with the winner.... ;)

So all other things being equal, go with the winner.... ;)

560524[/snapback]

Well, if you want to get really technical, I could include Wyche's assistant-coaching experience prior to his first HC job. You remember, don't you? The four years he spent (1979-82) as QB coach/passing-game director for Bill Walsh's first Super Bowl team in San Francisco?

With all other things being equal -- in other words, if Wyche's health enabled him to consider the job -- I think I'd sooner roll the dice with someone who has an NFL Coach of the Year plaque hanging on his office wall. But then, that's just me...

Well, if you want to get really technical, I could include Wyche's assistant-coaching experience prior to his first HC job. You remember, don't you? The four years he spent (1979-82) as QB coach/passing-game director for Bill Walsh's first Super Bowl team in San Francisco?

With all other things being equal -- in other words, if Wyche's health enabled him to consider the job -- I think I'd sooner roll the dice with someone who has an NFL Coach of the Year plaque hanging on his office wall. But then, that's just me...

560532[/snapback]

Gee Lori, this is fun! How about Grimm's four SB appearances as a player and member of one of the best O-Lines in the modern era?

Oh well, it's all candy and nuts anyway....

Gee Lori, this is fun!  How about Grimm's four SB appearances as a player and member of one of the best O-Lines in the modern era?

Oh well, it's all candy and nuts anyway....

560549[/snapback]

Jeez, ya got me there. One played for Joe Gibbs, and the other one was Joe Montana's position coach. That sounds roughly equal.

But as much fun as this may be, I've got to cut it short for tonight. I'll be back in the morning, though, just to make sure you haven't gotten the last word... ;)

This has got to be the least contentious thread I've ever started!

560432[/snapback]

Here's my contention: Grimm knows he's close to the top job, even if he's not there yet (he may be, we'll see in the next couple of weeks). So why would he come to a team with an offense that's a total mess - no foundation for the offensive line, no certainty if Moulds will be back, at best a rookie TE coming off a major knee injury, and a young QB that has already consumed the career of one OC (who, BTW, was a QB coach prior to that). I'm not saying he couldn't turn this offense around, given time, I'm just saying he wouldn't be willing to wait. Unless we make one never-before-made guarantee. Turn the offense around and you can have Mularkey's job.

Here's my contention:  Grimm knows he's close to the top job, even if he's not there yet (he may be, we'll see in the next couple of weeks).  So why would he come to a team with an offense that's a total mess - no foundation for the offensive line, no certainty if Moulds will be back, at best a rookie TE coming off a major knee injury, and a young QB that has already consumed the career of one OC (who, BTW, was a QB coach prior to that).  I'm not saying he couldn't turn this offense around, given time, I'm just saying he wouldn't be willing to wait.  Unless we make one never-before-made guarantee.  Turn the offense around and you can have Mularkey's job.

561053[/snapback]

Maybe he likes a good challenge !

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...nator100106.php

Jim Zorn sounds like a real possibility here. JP's style of play actually is very similar to the way Zorn played. I remember that Zorn used his feet to make a whole lot of big plays when he was in the league. I'm sure he's learned a ton being in Seattle, especially about the need for a great running attack. This might be the perfect candidate if a proven guy like Norv Turner isn't willing to come over here.