Palmer, Van Oelhofen et al.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the Cinci-Pitt game, and the announcers kept saying that Kimo Von Oelhofen was blocked into Palmer. I did not examine the replays, but it seems credible.

For Polamalu, I think the 15-yarder was adequate for tossing the ball in a guy's face.

Spitting in a guy's face is a higher level infraction, IMO, and agreed with Sean Taylor being ejected.

I recall Ben R's  and C-Lip's moanings. I guess Lewis is the dog for recalling that. He has to be the better man than the Steeler's organization, I guess.

Yes, there is something sad going on...

560128[/snapback]

Very sad.

There is no right or wrong there. It's just plain sad for anyone to whine about on the field stuff in the media, whether it's a Steelers player or a Bengals head coach. Either way, it's childish.

Oh, and when did a few comments represent an entire team? Maybe I heard them wrong, and Ben prefaced his remarks by saying, "On behalf of the entire Steelers organizaton..."

Oh, and when did a few comments represent an entire team?  Maybe I heard them wrong, and Ben prefaced his remarks by saying, "On behalf of the entire Steelers organizaton..."

560176[/snapback]

Ben's a tatooed hipster with chin scrub. :doh: But he is the titular head of the team. His words, any starting qb's words, have weight.

What I can't stand is the lack of consistency from the NFL. That was a total cheapshot with the purpose of knocking out Palmer. Well, mission accomplished. I hope Van Oelhofen is proud of himself.

And not even a flag when all they ever do is overprotect QBs all year. What a disgrace.

The only thing the Giants got screwed on was they call Justin Tuck for a bs illegal contact penalty which kept Carolina's first TD drive alive. Meanwhile, on our only promising drive down 7 points, a Panther shoves Shockey to the ground right in front of the ref and no call. That was a joke.

Other than that, I have nothing to complain about cause it probably wouldn't have mattered based on how outclassed our coaching staff was by a real coach.

Very sad. 

There is no right or wrong there.  It's just plain sad for anyone to whine about on the field stuff in the media, whether it's a Steelers player or a Bengals head coach.  Either way, it's childish. 

Oh, and when did a few comments represent an entire team?  Maybe I heard them wrong, and Ben prefaced his remarks by saying, "On behalf of the entire Steelers organizaton..."

560176[/snapback]

The good news? This builds the rivalry even stronger for next year, almost to Pats/Colts territory.

Ben's a tatooed hipster with chin scrub. :doh:  But he is the titular head of the team. His words, any starting qb's words, have weight.

560218[/snapback]

I know that I like to speak for myself, and I'm sure NFL players do as well. I don't buy that Ben is "speaking for his team" any more than I believe that Ryan Leaf's tantrums were his way of "speaking for" the San Diego Chargers when he was w/ them.

By complaining about a perceived slight by the officials, a QB can show his immaturity. By the same token, an opposing coach bringing it up in a press conference is no less immature. Just as Big Ben probably should've kept quiet about Odell Thurman, Marvin Lewis should've taken the high road in regard to that situation. Neither guy is more right; both were just being infantile.

I know that I like to speak for myself, and I'm sure NFL players do as well.  I don't buy that Ben is "speaking for his team" any more than I believe that Ryan Leaf's tantrums were his way of "speaking for" the San Diego Chargers when he was w/ them. 

By complaining about a perceived slight by the officials, a QB can show his immaturity.  By the same token, an opposing coach bringing it up in a press conference is no less immature.  Just as Big Ben probably should've kept quiet about Odell Thurman, Marvin Lewis should've taken the high road in regard to that situation.  Neither guy is more right; both were just being infantile.

560300[/snapback]

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../601090355/1066

"It was asked if the hit by von Oelhoffen, a former Bengals player, was revenge for the shot at the knees Bengals middle linebacker Odell Thurman took at Roethlisberger on Dec. 4 at Pittsburgh.

The week after that game, Roethlisberger said Thurman's hit was a dirty one.

Lewis alluded to his comments in his postgame news conference. Tired of repeated questions about Palmer's injury and the hit, Lewis said, "I saw a replay of it. Guys, gee whiz. Guy got hurt, let it go. Nothing we can do. We don't get it back. We're not going to sit there and baby and cry like their quarterback did. It's ridiculous. Guy got hurt."

I don't call that whining. Unless you think Lewis has no emotion, no capability of feeling, and must walk on water each and every hour and be a paragon of purity with good will towards all 24/7 regardless of seeing a guy stumbling ten feet untouched left to right with opponenents standing around yet able to solidly plant a shoulder pad on the side of the knee of a qb. I don't have the graciousness of Lewis. I've seen the replay dozens of times and what I see is a guy posturing for a hit on a target. Guess we just disagree.

I have some idea of how hard it is to steer clear of someone when you're being blocked to the ground as Kimo was. I really don't think he intended for that to happen. It was a horrible accident, but an accident nonetheless.

I agree with this. Von Oelhoffen has always been a clean, classy player and I'll bet there was nobody in the stadium who felt worse about it than he did.

It was just early in the game when a DLineman should at least touch teh QB as often as possible to let him know he's going to be there all day in an effort to draw the QB's concentration from downfield to in the backfield. Kimom was just driving legs to get anywhere near Palmer and got knocked down into his legs with terrible results.

I'd even bet Von Oelhoffen would take it back even if he knew that the Stillers would have lost the game with Palmer running the Bengal offense.

Cya

I agree with this. Von Oelhoffen has always been a clean, classy player and I'll bet there was nobody in the stadium who felt worse about it than he did.

It was just early in the game when a DLineman should at least touch teh QB as often as possible to let him know he's going to be there all day in an effort to draw the QB's concentration from downfield to in the backfield. Kimom was just driving legs to get anywhere near Palmer and got knocked down into his legs with terrible results.

I'd even bet Von Oelhoffen would take it back even if he knew that the Stillers would have lost the game with Palmer running the Bengal offense.

Cya

560333[/snapback]

When you get knocked down to your legs ten feet earlier, you have to to move a little bit upward to hit the knees of a tall qb. As if an experienced lineman has never seen or can't understand the posture of a qb after a pass is launched... ;)

The Bengals got physically whooped because they were more concerned about winning the game in the media during the week.  Big surprise.

560593[/snapback]

No disagreement about that. I found the fan hoopla embarrasing, but the player pretty much had a gag order slapped on them. Worse, was the OC's decision to run Rudi Johnson a total of 4 times in the 2nd half. And HC Lewis letting that happen.

No disagreement about that. I found the fan hoopla embarrasing, but the player pretty much had a gag order slapped on them.  Worse, was the OC's decision to run Rudi Johnson a total of 4 times in the 2nd half. And HC Lewis letting that happen.

560834[/snapback]

Agreed. I wonder if they would've won even if Palmer had not been injured, w/ bad play calling like that. They looked like a team w/ zero playoff experience out there. Game effort by the Bengals though (unlike the listless NY Giants), and this loss should inspire them to step it up for next season.

Agreed.  I wonder if they would've won even if Palmer had not been injured, w/ bad play calling like that.  They looked like a team w/ zero playoff experience out there.  Game effort by the Bengals though (unlike the listless NY Giants), and this loss should inspire them to step it up for next season.

560872[/snapback]

It was Panic City in the 2nd half. Kitna had good protection - he certainly had bunches of time to run around. I did note that he was mostly completing passes to back-up wr/st player Kevin Walters (he's a good player IMO), who works with Kitna a lot in the 2nd team practice sessions. BTW, the morning paper opined that WR Kelley Washington might be tagged, in order to get a comp pick if he leaves. That might be re-thought, since it's been revealed that rookie wr Chris Henry tore an ACL on that 66-yard pass. Plus his self-inflicted legal problems.

They will have a tougher road, for sure; 5 play-off clubs and 2 near-misses.

Looks like the AFC North squares off against the AFC West this year.

2006 schedule: The Bengals, besides the home-road series with division rivals Baltimore, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, play at Indianapolis, Kansas City, Denver, New Orleans and Tampa Bay and at home against San Diego, Oakland, Atlanta, Carolina and New England.

I'm wondering what PGH's draft will look like. I don't think they have much on the bench at OL. Maybe a CB - and if LenDale White falls, I'd think they would be seriously tempted.

Then there's BAL and the up-and-down Boller. Vandy's Cutler? I'm glad they kept HC Billick - other than his uncharacterstic decision to not go for the easy FG in the 12-10 loss to DEN, he tends towards a good, consistent game plan IMO. Kudos to their defense, losing Hartwell then Lewis and Reed.