what coffee do you drink

millbank

Beings its winter, I spend much time inside, and drink more coffee. I have been to the specialty coffee shops to purchase various blends , but have so far found them to be just alright nothing that is really special.

What coffee do folks who brew it use, and if you had opportunity which would you select.

So far Hazelnut- Vanilla coffee tastes the nicest , but is more a dinner coffee than a daytime .

Beings its winter, I spend much time inside, and drink more coffee.  I have been to the specialty coffee shops to purchase various blends , but have so far found them to be just alright nothing that is really special.

What coffee do folks who brew it use, and if you had opportunity which would you select.

So far Hazelnut- Vanilla coffee tastes the nicest , but is more a dinner coffee than a daytime .

559890[/snapback]

The regular swill over at the local A Plus MiniMart does me just fine. :doh:

French Blend for me. Costco has a brand that I enjoyed (not sure if they still carry), I believe it was San Fransisco something or other. Starbucks has a very good FR. Italian Roast is also very good.

IMO--Stay away from the flavored coffees.

Jamiacan Blue Mountain, and pure Kona when I can get it. There are some nice Kenyan small plantation things too, but I lean to the Jamaican. I drink maybe two cups per day, and I like my coffee, scotch, bourbon, cigars and tea. Quality over quantity. I hand grind my own beans in an old coffee grinder. The motorized one gave out, the boys in the office abused it to death.

Affectation?

Sue me. Everyone else is.

Jamiacan Blue Mountain, and pure Kona when I can get it. There are some nice Kenyan small plantation things too, but I lean to the Jamaican. I drink maybe two cups per day, and I like my coffee, scotch, bourbon, cigars and tea.

559916[/snapback]

No wine? ( I am still looking for Eagle's Rare, pretty hard to find)

I get some Fair Trade stuff from Peru. It is good, but strong.

Half the time I am drinking McCullogh coffee at work, which I generally find to be

bad but I keep drinking it.

Jamiacan Blue Mountain, and pure Kona when I can get it. There are some nice Kenyan small plantation things too, but I lean to the Jamaican. I drink maybe two cups per day, and I like my coffee, scotch, bourbon, cigars and tea. Quality over quantity. I hand grind my own beans in an old coffee grinder. The motorized one gave out, the boys in the office abused it to death.

Affectation?

559916[/snapback]

I am with you here. I have a pound of Kona Peaberry at home, and use it only when I am sure noone is coming over, so I can drink it all, and when I will be around the house to drink the whole pot, and not waste any. :doh:

I am with you here.  I have a pound of Kona Peaberry at home, and use it only when I am sure noone is coming over, so I can drink it all, and when I will be around the house to drink the whole pot, and not waste any.  :doh:

559933[/snapback]

how do you make it? I am thinking of getting rid of the drip maker.

Maybe a press?

how do you make it? I am thinking of getting rid of the drip maker.

Maybe a press?

559949[/snapback]

A pretty good drip. Higher heat. What I want is one of the vacuum ones. A friend at work has one and says that he uses Trader Joes coffee and it tastes better then anything you can get at any coffee shop.

I'm big fan of Sumatra. It's got big flavor, lots of caffeine and is very low in acid (so it's not hard on the stonach). Of course, a nice expresso is always appreciated as well.

I agree with the Diver that the French Press is the way to brew.

Now if you're REALLY adventurous and have excess cash to throw away, you may want to try some Kopi Luwak:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

If you try it, please lemme know how it tastes.

Whatever is on-sale at the supermarket....but no flavors.

Beings its winter, I spend much time inside, and drink more coffee.  I have been to the specialty coffee shops to purchase various blends , but have so far found them to be just alright nothing that is really special.

559890[/snapback]

McDonald's discount senior swill in the early morning.  I probably drink about 10 cups a year at home - I buy those little vaccuum-packed dollar-a-pop packages with no added flavors. :lol:

560009[/snapback]

Philistine!!! :doh:

Tim Horton's if I have to.... :lol:

I'm  big fan of Sumatra.  It's got big flavor, lots of caffeine and is very low in acid (so it's not hard on the stonach).  Of course, a nice expresso is always appreciated as well.

Now if you're REALLY adventurous and have excess cash to throw away, you may want to try some Kopi Luwak:

560006[/snapback]

Sumatra is good, we all have our biases.

After all this Bills from the teenagers crap, I'm not going to argue coffee.

I do like good coffee, I like my choices but I'm more than willing to learn.

559890[/snapback]

What a topic, I could go on for days about this so I'll try and make it as short as I can.

I buy greeen beans and roast them at home, that way I get what I want when I want and how I want.

Their are several ways to roast and several places to buy all the things you need to do it I'll post a few links that you can check out.

If you don't want to roast you can mail order coffee ,it's decent but a pain to keep buying that way and it's costly.

Starbucks [charbucks or starburnt] as their are called by my fellow roasters is a pricey and not a very tasty way to go.

Premier Gourmet on Dleaware is a decent place to buy fresh roasted beans.They don't over roast and have coffee from all over the world and it's under 10 bucks a pound http://www.premiergourmet.com/catalog/.

Heres a couple of links one is for info on coffee and the other is a coffee co op group I buy my green coffee from.

Even if you don't go this route if you read what these people have to say you will learn alot about coffee.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/

http://www.greencoffee.coop/index.php

You have to sign up at the co-op group to read the message board.

I also see that people are interested in how to brew coffee. I do drip, french press, vac pot , and a few others I won't go into now.How you brew yours really depends on how you like you coffee and how much time you have to make it.

A few things are very important.Buy whole beans if at all possible coffee goes stale very fast when ground .Get a good grinder a burr grinder not a 15 dollar whirly blade deal they burn the beans and it can hurt the taste. If you use a drip coffee maker get one that makes really hot water.

The ideal temp fpr brewing coffee is 200 degrees very few coffee makers can do that this one does it it's a very good price http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00066XRN...garden&v=glance

A lot of people like frech press better and one of the reasons is the water is much closer to 200 degrees and the flavor is better becauce of it.

If any body wants more info I can post again,time to go roast a pound of Yemen Matari now.

I use an individual filter for each coffee I make, grinding from beans just before I am ready to use them...

I have been using a coffee house here in London for some time: Monmouth Coffee Co. http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/

Their coffee is superbly roasted... There are so many flavours there from the coffee alone I can't imagine tainting it with flavour...

The flavoured coffees I have had are always mildly gross and unnatural.

Philistine!!!  :doh:

Tim Horton's if I have to.... :lol:

560015[/snapback]

The Krokites have recently stabbed me. Here, they have replaced their locally-sourced milk thingies with a McD-labeled item coming from who-knows-where.

Every other day, I dump one in, mix, and see floaters. My pointing out of this quality problem has been a bust. One manager said it was "butter" (!), the other gave me an evil eye.

So a routine now exists. I get a new cup every other day. No wonder the foreign competition is kicking our fannies... :lol:

I'm  big fan of Sumatra.  It's got big flavor, lots of caffeine and is very low in acid (so it's not hard on the stonach).  Of course, a nice expresso is always appreciated as well.

560006[/snapback]

It's pretty good. Friend bought some just to try it.

Hear's a little blurb from his write-up....

The scent of the Kopi Luwak coffee is rich and spicy, and definitely not unpleasant (we're assuming that the beans are well-cleaned from their, um, harvested state). With that, we took our first tastes. The first sip of the brew was definitely a shocker. It leapt into your mouth the feline ferocity, and was a combination of... wow, it was hard to tell. Subsequent sips, once your palate was accustomed to the particular taste, were quite pleasant.

It was definitely spicy, maybe a little bit musky too -- but with the sweetest aftertaste. There was no bitterness that you often find in the more robust brews, it was almost like there was a coating of sugar on your mouth after the sip washed down (and we were drinking coffee the way it's meant to be, folks: straight up black).

It's pretty good. Friend bought some just to try it.

Hear's a little blurb from his write-up....

The scent of the Kopi Luwak coffee is rich and spicy, and definitely not unpleasant (we're assuming that the beans are well-cleaned from their, um, harvested state). With that, we took our first tastes. The first sip of the brew was definitely a shocker. It leapt into your mouth the feline ferocity, and was a combination of... wow, it was hard to tell. Subsequent sips, once your palate was accustomed to the particular taste, were quite pleasant.

It was definitely spicy, maybe a little bit musky too -- but with the sweetest aftertaste. There was no bitterness that you often find in the more robust brews, it was almost like there was a coating of sugar on your mouth after the sip washed down (and we were drinking coffee the way it's meant to be, folks: straight up black).

560083[/snapback]

Far out. Mebbe I'll give it a try if I see it.

Thanks

French Blend for me.  Costco has a brand that I enjoyed (not sure if they still carry), I believe it was San Fransisco something or other. 

559903[/snapback]

I think its "San Francisco Bay " brand I believe. Its my favorite for taste and you can't beat the price either. I think its $8 for 5lbs. Could be wrong on that but I know its way cheaper than buying the stuff at Safeway or something.