Mike Williams is as good as gone

Bills | Banks Advises Client To Retire

Sun, 8 Jan 2006 23:07:44 -0800

Updating previous reports, Agent Harkin Banks advised Bills OT Mike Williams to retire, after failing to get him extended this past week. The Bills view Williams as a fat tub of goo, which Harken could not dispute.

Guest BackInDaDay

Williams will probably never live up to his draft position, but I'd like to keep him through the summer and see where he's at physically. He can play that RT spot when healthy.

A combination of Mularkey's (via McNally) input to Marv concerning Mike's football skills, and the team doctor concerning Mike's wheels, should determine whether it makes more economical sense to part company, and when.

The best quote from that movie: "I had Sunny side up, I had Sunny side down, I had Sunny side all the way around".

559761[/snapback]

Hey Rudi....you can kiss my ass....not on the right side... not on the left side... but right in the middle!!!!!!!

Hotdog the movie.....An all time classic :doh:

Williams will probably never live up to his draft position, but I'd like to keep him through the summer and see where he's at physically.  He can play that RT spot when healthy. 

A combination of Mularkey's (via McNally) input to Marv concerning Mike's football skills, and the team doctor concerning Mike's wheels, should determine whether it makes more economical sense to part company, and when.

559766[/snapback]

We would have to check with clumpy, but he may be due for a big bonus in the spring.

Yeah we have done such a good job evaling Olinemen.  Tell me again how that slug Rueben Brown is doing and that he would be retired from football, because he sucks? 

Oh thats right, he is a stud on the Bears oline.  :doh:

559791[/snapback]

Why do you think that he was playing so poorly in Buffalo?

Why do you think that he was playing so poorly in Buffalo?

559792[/snapback]

I don't think he was playing poorly. I think that the management and coaches didn't think he was worth the coin he was making anymore, and they were making it rough on him to stay motivated. Rmember he made a bunch of probowls up until he was cut, and yeah part was reputation, but he was still playing at a high level. Maybe not worthy of his contract but he was still a top 5 guard in the conference, if not in the league when we cut him.

I don't think he was playing poorly.  I think that the management and coaches didn't think he was worth the coin he was making anymore, and they were making it rough on him to stay motivated.  Rmember he made a bunch of probowls up until he was cut, and yeah part was reputation, but he was still playing at a high level.  Maybe not worthy of his contract but he was still a top 5 guard in the conference, if not in the league when we cut him.

559811[/snapback]

I don't agree. Along with the obligatory jumps offsides, he had lost a lot of weight (has he put it back?) and was a turnstile wrt pass blocking. I do agree that he was always a good run blocker.

I don't think he was playing poorly.  I think that the management and coaches didn't think he was worth the coin he was making anymore, and they were making it rough on him to stay motivated.  Rmember he made a bunch of probowls up until he was cut, and yeah part was reputation, but he was still playing at a high level.  Maybe not worthy of his contract but he was still a top 5 guard in the conference, if not in the league when we cut him.

559811[/snapback]

he wasn't worth the coin, which is why he offered to take a pay cut to a more reasonable level.......but instead, he was cut.......just another unhappy vet who was misused, mistreated, and then shown the door.......

I don't agree. Along with the obligatory jumps offsides, he had lost a lot of weight (has he put it back?) and was a turnstile wrt pass blocking. I do agree that he was always a good run blocker.

559819[/snapback]

And how much was him and how much was him covering for Teagues stupidity. I remember when he was cut that either he or his agent made some mention that RB was taking some of the blame trying to cover "other holes" on the line. Whether he referred to TT or JJ was the question.

Guest BackInDaDay
Yeah we have done such a good job evaling Olinemen. 

559791[/snapback]

I didn't say you can trust their judgements.

I was only describing my opinion of what the process should be.

Personally, I believe that moving Williams from RT to LG to compensate for his ankle injury(s?) was a mistake. Despite what Mouse may have said in reference to Mike's ability to play that spot, I never seen anything in his 'high' style of play that would translate well to the interior. I referenced many times my belief that this was just a pitstop on the way to the exit door. But what purpose did it serve to humiliate both Williams and Anderson with that move? This organization borders on unprofessional sometimes.

Any way, if there are no front-office agendas already in place concerning Big Mike, his OT skills should be evaluated honestly and then a unemotional decision can be made over his cost.

Williams situation is very similar to Browns, just add in missing too much time with injuries and showing up the one year way out of shape. His contract just far outweighs his production. Unfortunately, we can't even bring his contract down enough to make anybody satisfied. He is like it or not the best run blocking lineman the Bills have by far when healthy. If he could be brought down to 3mil per year, he might have a chance, but I believe the maximum paycut you can make a plyer take is 30%. Verdict: Nice knowin' ya.

I think he would welcome being cut and playing closer to Texas where he is closer to people who will coddle him. He has not shown to be a professional. His size makes him intriguing. His inability to react to a stunting defense makes him a liability. He almost always reaches rather than sliding his feet or flat picks the wrong guy to block.

Any way, if there are no front-office agendas already in place concerning Big Mike, his OT skills should be evaluated honestly and then a unemotional decision can be made over his cost.

I suppose that's slightly better than having Marv base the decision upon the total number of degrees of declination measured from perfect 0 at which he wears his baseball cap.....