Mike Williams is as good as gone

i think we will redo his contract and move him to the guard position.even if mike williams never becomes a all pro if he gets motivated and loses some weight i am sure he will be a solid guard!

560224[/snapback]

Why? The guy sucked when he was put in at LG. Sugar coat it with excuses (injuries, not his natural position, didn't get enough reps, etc.) but the fact is he couldn't block the guy in front of him as a guard.

In fact, I don't think having a 400-pounder with a couple flat tires, a torqued suspension, and a bad rib cage is really what the doctor ordered up for getting average guard play. Having a guy that could run would be much preferred. (Also, stocking the line with some guys sharper than bowling balls would be nice.)

I think the situation involving the cut of Ruben and an evaluation of his play here are being morphed a bit to fit Bills fans pre-existing concepts of they like and do not like.

Brown had some real problems with his play:

1. He definitely was in the backside of his career in his last years here and he became more subject to injuries which prevented him from starting all 16 games and nicks which reduced his effectiveness when he played.

2. His record of 7 or 8 straight Pro Bowl nods was confusing to say the least as he would get this honor every year whether he played well (he did have a couple good years where even with his propensity to pick up some dumb offside calls he was probably the best G in the league. but overall he was not great year in and year out and seemed to get the honor on rep as much as anything else.

3. The big problem with his play was a lack of discipline which killed a few drives or eradicated big gains with some ill-timed (as if there is ever a good time) penalties.

However, presenting this as a summary of Brown's work for the Bills is simply incorrect as there were actually some great work from him than overall in my balance outweighed the bad items I subscribe to above.

Specifically,

1. All of us fans have our own fact-free opinions about whether he is a good run blocker or not. but the objective measurable fact beyond our mere opinions is that the running attack was quite effective for many years with Ruben blocking for Thurman and with Ruben as the leader of the OL blocking for Henry.

Folks can certainly have their opinion that Ruben was a lousy run blocker if they want, but if they hold this opinkin they really should explain why several Bills backs (TT in his final years was still a feared runner, A Smith in his best years as a Bill and Henry in his initial years all cracked 1000 yds) racked up a bunch of running yards with Ruben as a mainstay.

2, In 2002 at the end of Bills career, the Bills O was effective with Ruben as a mainstay not only in terms of running yds by TH, but Moulds getting 100 catches and PP hitting 94. There were a ton of sacks of the far less than mobile Bledsoe, but between the WR's output and lots of catches by Henry, Reed and Centers, Brown played his role in an O that carried that year's D.

3. Perhaps RB's best work in 2003 was that he was the only Bill on the OL (with Jennings, Teague, Sullivan and MW who had started at his position in pro ball before. This crew had a lot of real issues (Jennings being injury prone, Teague being unable to multi-task in his first year at C and sometimes getting bullrushed, MW was a rookie and Sullivan was well Sullivan). Clearly Ruben was the best player, only vet at his position, and the leader of an O which led the Bills from 3-13 the year before to 8-8.

It made sense for the Bills to part with Ruben when they did, but not because he was not one of the better OL players on the team, but because contractually it was the same cost on the cap to keep him and pay him his entitled salary or let him go and take the accelerated bonus cap hit.

The reason why this wash ended up with him being cut was because RB publicly and vocally challenged the poor offesive management of the team by Kevin Killdrive.

He was flat out correct (as shown by Killdrive getting the door with a year left on his contract) but having opposed his boss and defended his teammates who were being blamed by the coaches for poor play, he signed his death warrant.

This was regretable but umderstandable in terms of on field play.

However, it was also a loss to the community as Ruben was not only a popular media figure (he did the Off-Guard bits for Channel 2 each Sunday and sometimes would give some useful player insights) but also played a great role as a fundraiser and volunteer for local groups such as the UNY Organ Transplant Services and his annual motorcycle rally which raised bucks for charity.

It was time for RB to go as a Bill because he was on the backside of his career and because he killed his boss. However, posters should simply not be believed if they want to claim he was at worst a mixed bag who had real shortcomings, but on balance the good parts of his game and the leadership as the only vet on a young unit which did produced on the field were good/ This is simply the reality refelected in the O racking up yards throughout his career and really improving in drastically improving Ws (from 3-8 in 2002) with him as the acknowledged leader of the OL in 2002.

Why?  The guy sucked when he was put in at LG.  Sugar coat it with excuses (injuries, not his natural position, didn't get enough reps, etc.) but the fact is he couldn't block the guy in front of him as a guard.

In fact, I don't think having a 400-pounder with a couple flat tires, a torqued suspension, and a bad rib cage is really what the doctor ordered up for getting average guard play.  Having a guy that could run would be much preferred.  (Also, stocking the line with some guys sharper than bowling balls would be nice.)

560271[/snapback]

well he didnt "always suck" at right tackle.maybe big mike isnt a elite right tackle ,but when healthy he does play right tackle pretty ok.his expierment at left guard was with a week of practice and he was still hurt.just because mike shouldn't have been a 4th pick in the draft does not mean he cannot be useful on our line.if mike williams leaves buffalo i bet he turns into a good football player.now if he is evaulated fairly and the new coaches determine that they cannot use him ,well then that is a different story.

In fact, I don't think having a 400-pounder with a couple flat tires, a torqued suspension, and a bad rib cage is really what the doctor ordered up for getting average guard play.  Having a guy that could run would be much preferred.  (Also, stocking the line with some guys sharper than bowling balls would be nice.)

560271[/snapback]

What does Bennie Anderson have to do with this?