Jerry Grey interview story

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=2335

“I think it went well,” Gray said of the interview. “I’m thankful for the opportunity to be brought in and given the chance to get in front of Mr. McNair, Charley and those guys and let them know my story.”

This year the defense was plagued with injuries, particularly the loss of linebacker Takeo Spikes in Week 3, and struggled through the second half of the season. With a first-year starter under center, the Bills were unable to materialize their 9-7 finish in 2004 into a playoff bid; they finished with a disappointing 5-11 record.

The Bills’ released many coaches on the staff, but Gray’s position on the team remains unclear. He’ll meet with head coach Mike Mularkey next week and see what adjustments will be made.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=2335

“I think it went well,” Gray said of the interview. “I’m thankful for the opportunity to be brought in and given the chance to get in front of Mr. McNair, Charley and those guys and let them know my story.”

This year the defense was plagued with injuries, particularly the loss of linebacker Takeo Spikes in Week 3, and struggled through the second half of the season. With a first-year starter under center, the Bills were unable to materialize their 9-7 finish in 2004 into a playoff bid; they finished with a disappointing 5-11 record.

The Bills’ released many coaches on the staff, but Gray’s position on the team remains unclear. He’ll meet with head coach Mike Mularkey next week and see what adjustments will be made.

558506[/snapback]

Hope they didn't ask any hard questions like 'WTF were you thinking on 3rd downs?'

“I think it went well,” Gray said of the interview.

Every time I've thought that, I never got a call back. Ironically, it was the two times I bombed on a question (One of which was "What makes you get up in the morning?" WTF kind of question is that?!? I almost said, "Usually because I have to pee.") that I got the jobs.

Here's something from another article that's on the TBD front page:

Gray said his chances are helped by the success this season of Chicago's Lovie Smith, Cincinnati's Marvin Lewis and Carolina's John Fox -- all former defensive coordinators who have led their teams into the playoffs.

Earth to Jerry: Those guys all led their teams into the playoffs (and beyond) when they were coordinators. I don't think a coordinator whose teams were 0/5 in getting into the playoffs is helped by the likes of the men listed above. Do something as a coordinator, other than leaving upon your team's request and maybe YOUR success would help you get a head coaching job.

Here's something from another article that's on the TBD front page:

Gray said his chances are helped by the success this season of Chicago's Lovie Smith, Cincinnati's Marvin Lewis and Carolina's John Fox -- all former defensive coordinators who have led their teams into the playoffs.

Earth to Jerry:  Those guys all led their teams into the playoffs (and beyond) when they were coordinators.  I don't think a coordinator whose teams were 0/5 in getting into the playoffs is helped by the likes of the men listed above.  Do something as a coordinator, other than leaving upon your team's request and maybe YOUR success would help you get a head coaching job.

558619[/snapback]

I think he's banking on:

-- the past performance of the D

-- that the Texans think 2+2=5 to go along with not noticing that said D took a walk off a cliff w/o GW or DL looking over JG's shoulder

-- being able to fob off responsibilty for no playoffs on the O's problems (not an undefensible argument, actually).

-- that the Texans really, really, really, really, really, really, really like blitzing on every down.

What everybody seems to forget (esp. on this board) was that when both TKO and Sam were starting the D was absolutely horrible. It was only when TKO got injured did it start to improve and when Sam was benched they showed alot more heart!

Weird, I know but them's the facts.

Wasn't LeBeau with the team when we lost the final game to Pittsburg? I personally think the defense was way overrated that year. So if LeBeau was with the team, then how come the bad performance. Gray was making the calls?

I expected Defensive problems this year. Not to the extent that existed but I just didn't think the D was going to perform as expected.

I'm not sure where I stand on Gray, but I really don't think he was the sole cause of what appeared to be a defensive collapse.

What everybody seems to forget (esp. on this board) was that when both TKO and Sam were starting the D was absolutely horrible.  It was only when TKO got injured did it start to improve and when Sam was benched they showed alot more heart!

Weird, I know but them's the facts.

558782[/snapback]

with tko in we destroyed the texans, got run on by the then super hot bucs and he went down against atlanta

note that his achilies was hurt the whole time, so he was slowed down.

our pass D was super solid for the first 3 or 4 weeks, it was our run D that sucked.

TKO being off the team did NOT result in a better D

Wasn't LeBeau with the team when we lost the final game to Pittsburg?  I personally think the defense was way overrated that year.  So if LeBeau was with the team, then how come the bad performance.  Gray was making the calls?

I expected Defensive problems this year.  Not to the extent that existed but I just didn't think the D was going to perform as expected.

I'm not sure where I stand on Gray, but I really don't think he was the sole cause of what appeared to be a defensive collapse.

558851[/snapback]

nope

dick was in pitts with their 15-1 team and number 1 D

grey did last season all on his own.

in 5 years gray makes the same mistakes he made in his first year. he needs to eat glass

Wasn't LeBeau with the team when we lost the final game to Pittsburg?  I personally think the defense was way overrated that year.  So if LeBeau was with the team, then how come the bad performance.  Gray was making the calls?

558851[/snapback]

No, LeBeau was the Steelers D-coordinator in 2004. He called the corner blitz that Bledsoe failed to notice, Game Over.

nope

dick was in pitts with their 15-1 team and number 1 D

grey did last season all on his own.

in 5 years gray makes the same mistakes he made in his first year.  he needs to eat glass

558865[/snapback]

Ok so now I know where I stand. :unsure: