A thought on two possible players we might pick

Tolstoy

D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT (Virginia) and Mathius Kiwanuka, DE (BC)

I watched both of these players quite a bit, being a ACC fan. I can say that both are very good players, both capable of dominating against weaker players, and both capable of having the exceptional game (especially Kiwanuka). However, neither of them, in my opinion (and I am no expert) are worth the 8th pick in the draft. Mid-to-late first round--yes, but no earlier.

Some of the other players that might be available may be better prospects--I just don't have any first hand knowledge of them.

If I were the Bills, and nothing better came along, I would seriously think of trading down out of the 8th slot, and picking up extra picks.

I can't believe I am thinking draft already. I have to get my head examined.

everybody seems to believe this debrickashaw guy has Boselli-like potential. And he's in great shape, and will get better.

I'd trade down, if I could. Get an extra mid round pick or something. i hate the salaries they have to pay these top 10 picks. E.g., Mike Williams. Unproven....much better to pick later in the round. You get great athletes without the 12 million dollar bonus.

everybody seems to believe this debrickashaw guy has Boselli-like potential.  And he's in great shape, and will get better. 

I'd trade down, if I could.  Get an extra mid round pick or something.  i hate the salaries they have to pay these top 10 picks.  E.g., Mike Williams.  Unproven....much better to pick later in the round.  You get great athletes without the 12 million dollar bonus.

558152[/snapback]

I agree completely.

I watched both of these players quite a bit, being a ACC fan.  I can say that both are very good players, both capable of dominating against weaker players, and both capable of having the exceptional game (especially Kiwanuka).  However, neither of them, in my opinion (and I am no expert) are worth the 8th pick in the draft. Mid-to-late first round--yes, but no earlier.

Some of the other players that might be available may be better prospects--I just don't have any first hand knowledge of them.

If I were the Bills, and nothing better came along, I would seriously think of trading down out of the 8th slot, and picking up extra picks.

I can't believe I am thinking draft already.  I have to get my head examined.

558135[/snapback]

When one's team's season ends early, FA and the Draft is what comes next.....

I watched both of these players quite a bit, being a ACC fan.  I can say that both are very good players, both capable of dominating against weaker players, and both capable of having the exceptional game (especially Kiwanuka).  However, neither of them, in my opinion (and I am no expert) are worth the 8th pick in the draft. Mid-to-late first round--yes, but no earlier.

558135[/snapback]

The problem is that you have to have a willing partner who wants to trade with you. If you don't then you must pick. If you think that a player can start right a way and do a solid or good job then you pick them. The money is the money. Both players you talked about can start to do a good job IMO. Pass rushers and Left Tackles that can start are impact players and not players that you pick latter on because--- they won't be there! Kiwanuka will grow bigger and get stronger. So will Ferguson. Now the question is charector. Will they show up for work and improve if you hand them 10 million dollars??? I think they both will. But we shall see!

i'd take brick or super mario from NC state at 8th.

the cost of picks goes down very quickly, top 4 or 5 are pro bowl type contracts, after that they fall off to the point where at about 15 or so they are cheaper than a typical starter.

8th can very well be a sweet spot to get a guy with the skills to go high and not pay too much.

i'd bet lenard davis or mike williams would be 10-15 picks in this years draft, and they were both signed to huge top pick contracts, we might get a real star at number 8

I would be totally satisfied with Mario Williams, Ngata, D'Brickshaw or Kiwanuka at 8.  Those guys are studs that I have personally watched dominate when they played.

558234[/snapback]

I agree--one of those four picks can/should likely start right away. They are all good players and would be great picks for us. Marv has said he wants to start with defense.

558135[/snapback]

Interesting. I've heard from one or two UVA fans here in the DC area that D'Brickshaw Ferguson is a tad over-rated as well - that he may have some motivation issues, and that he has not been consistently dominant.

For whatever it is worth.....

JDG

I would be totally satisfied with Mario Williams, Ngata, D'Brickshaw or Kiwanuka at 8.  Those guys are studs that I have personally watched dominate when they played.

558234[/snapback]

The good thing about having so many holes to fill is having options. If 3 of these guys are available and you can find a team willing to make a deal within the next 5 picks, roll the dice and trade down hoping 1 will still be there when you pick (especially if you only trade down 3 spots). If only 1 (or 2) of these guys is left, run don't walk to the podium and take him!