Timeouts in football & basketball

Kgun5

I was thinking about this one last night and wondered what others here thought about it.

My personal feeling is that they are more a part of basketball, but they are more important in football. Plus, the very fact that teams get more timeouts to use in basketball tends to make their importance slighty less.

Any thoughts, or is this too off-topic for this early in the off-season? :w00t:

I was thinking about this one last night and wondered what others here thought about it.

My personal feeling is that they are more a part of basketball, but they are more important in football.  Plus, the very fact that teams get more timeouts to use in basketball tends to make their importance slighty less.

Any thoughts, or is this too off-topic for this early in the off-season?  :w00t:

557539[/snapback]

If you are asking partcularly about the Bills, then they are more imporatnt in basketball as we haven't had a coach with a clue when to use em since Levy

If you are asking partcularly about the Bills, then they are more imporatnt in basketball as we haven't had a coach with a clue when to use em since Levy

557558[/snapback]

Well, that's true. I suppose a good way to look it is how much a team can be hurt in either sport if its timeouts are misused.

Considering there are fewer of them in football and therefore more strategic, no such thing as required television timeouts in football, they are used far more strategically in football to stop the clock than they are in basketball which is vital at the end of the game far more than in hoops, part of the important replay system that can change the momentum and outcome of the game, I would say basketball. :w00t:

Considering there are fewer of them in football and therefore more strategic, no such thing as required television timeouts in football, they are used far more strategically in football to stop the clock than they are in basketball which is vital at the end of the game far more than in hoops, part of the important replay system that can change the momentum and outcome of the game, I would say basketball. :w00t:

557571[/snapback]

While basketball has it's TV timeouts, football has a time out after virtually every change of posession...and the occaisonal random "official" time out (really same as a TV timeout).

You are right about footbakll using the TO to stop the clock. Another great use of the football TO is to avoid the delay-of-game penalty. The solution is to have an agenda prepared before going into the meeting!

My personal feeling is that they are more a part of basketball, but they are more important in football.  Plus, the very fact that teams get more timeouts to use in basketball tends to make their importance slighty less.

Any thoughts, or is this too off-topic for this early in the off-season?  :D

557539[/snapback]

In football there are several ways to stop the clock without losing possession of the ball, spike, incomplete pass, run out of bounds. No way to stop the clock in basketball without losing possession therefore, much more important in basketball.