assuming kevin mawae is healthy

i'm assuming he will be. he's a ufa. 

bentley is the other target.

who's going to bet a better player over the next 2 years?

557270[/snapback]

Mawae followed the 2004 season where by all rights he deserved to be the Jet's MVP- he literally carried their running game on his back for the whole season- with a season hobbled by injury. It's a tough call, he's the best at his position in the league when healthy but you hate to pay what he'll get in FA and have anything like his '06 season happen. Since we have bigger holes at LG and at DT I think reluctance to take a shot on his health is the prudent approach.

Mawae followed the 2004 season where by all rights deserved to be the Jet's MVP- he literally carried their running game on his back for the whole season- with a season hobbled by injury. It's a tough call, he's the best at his position in the league when healthy but you hate to pay what he'll get in FA and have anything like his '06 season happen. Since we have bigger holes at LG and at DT I think reluctance to take a shot on his health is the prudent approach.

557373[/snapback]

my thinking is that he won't be too expensive, and as a 2 year stopgap (again, if he's healthy) he'd be great. teague is gone, and the bills need someone who can get better leverage in any case.

Mawae followed the 2004 season where by all rights deserved to be the Jet's MVP- he literally carried their running game on his back for the whole season- with a season hobbled by injury. It's a tough call, he's the best at his position in the league when healthy but you hate to pay what he'll get in FA and have anything like his '06 season happen. Since we have bigger holes at LG and at DT I think reluctance to take a shot on his health is the prudent approach.

557373[/snapback]

I agree. I'd love him if he's health and affordable...but, he's long in the tooth. Plus, and this is an issue on this team, he has trouble with the shotgun snap.

557270[/snapback]

Are you sure he is a UFA? I think he is still under contract to the Jets. It is my understanding that he is due to make@ 4-5 million next season so the Jets are trying to decide whether to pay him or not.

That being said, I would pay him 2-3 million/year for two or three years. He is a mean SOB and could instill some toughness into our passive o-line. That guy leaves it on the field every week. When the Jets beat the Bills this year he was the first one out onto the field to congratulate his teammates even though he was in street clothes. Git er done Marv!

Are you sure he is a UFA? I think he is still under contract to the Jets. It is my understanding that he is due to make@ 4-5 million next season so the Jets are trying to decide whether to pay him or not.

That being said, I would pay him 2-3 million/year for two or three years. He is a mean SOB and could instill some toughness into our passive o-line. That guy leaves it on the field every week. When the Jets beat the Bills this year he was the first one out onto the field to congratulate his teammates even though he was in street clothes.    Git er done Marv!

557438[/snapback]

i'm pretty sure he is, but i could be wrong.

i'm pretty sure he is, but i could be wrong.

557447[/snapback]

You could also be correct. The jests are said to be close to 30 million over the cap in 06 (the likely reason that Edwards bailed) and at least 3 of their offensive linemen are on the wrong side of 30 (Mawae, Kendall and Fabini). All three of these guys have cap figures between 3 and 5 million, and all of them are likely cap cuts.

The jests have similar problems to the Bills.....holes in the OL and uncertainty at QB. Curtis Martin is a cap drain as well and he is toast. They also have the task of paying the #4 pick if they don't trade it, a painful memory for Bills fans indeed.

One thing that I must say about TD.....I am WAY happier being 12 million under the cap with an extra early 3rd than being 30 million over with a ton of serious needs.

One thing that I must say about TD.....I am WAY happier being 12 million under the cap with an extra early 3rd than being 30 million over with a ton of serious needs.

557605[/snapback]

And those dynamics should be a big assist to Marv in his new role. As a bystander to the ultimately disastrous cap strategy adopted during his coaching days at OBD and considering the very good situation he's stepping into, I have to assume Marv has soaked up all the possibilities and will take the wiser course. That would mean we'll be forced to see some good ball players move on when their contract to contribution ratio reaches into the red.

All we have to find out now is how Marv's people are at talent evaluation. If they've very good at it we could become an undesirable opponent in short order, especially in one of football's worst divisions top to bottom at this time.

And those dynamics should be a big assist to Marv in his new role. As a bystander to the ultimately disastrous cap strategy adopted during his coaching days at OBD and considering the very good situation he's stepping into, I have to assume Marv has soaked up all the possibilities and will take the wiser course. That would mean we'll be forced to see some good ball players move on when their contract to contribution ratio reaches into the red.

All we have to find out now is how Marv's people are at talent evaluation. If they've very good at it we could become an undesirable opponent in short order, especially in one of football's worst divisions top to bottom at this time.

557622[/snapback]

Thanks for the breath of optimism about a situation that I view potentially dismal. If you are correct and Marv (at his age) is flexible enough to depart from the free spending ways of the past (for bad to marginal players such as Fina, Ostroski, Panos, Rogers, etc.), there could be hope for this team.

What scares me about Levy is that due to his age, he might prone to toss money at the old malcontents (Moulds and Adams) rather than to cut bait and build a young, strong team. The cap space that could be gained from cutting those two and Fat Mike is staggering.

Moulds and Adams are past their prime. They have zero personal stake in the long term success of this franchise. Williams is a sad joke. I hope that Marv too sees the obvious, and seizes the opportunity to build a solid, young football team rather than hang on to these declining players in order to make an immediate, futile run. We were 5-11 WITH these whining old losers. Now, we have at least one extra draft pick and potentially a ton of cap space to lure free agents.

I hope that Marv is up to the task.

557270[/snapback]

Mawae would be my choice. I proven veteran who plays well when he's healthy.

What scares me about Levy is that due to his age, he might prone to toss money at the old malcontents (Moulds and Adams) rather than to cut bait and build a young, strong team. The cap space that could be gained from cutting those two and Fat Mike is staggering.

558130[/snapback]

sam adams comes practically free next year. just so you know.