ESPN Mock draft - updated today

VABills

And who whould those players be in this draft?

552535[/snapback]

Mario Williams measures up well to Julius Peppers: he's 6-7, 285 and is very quick. They say he also has around 6% body fat, so he's a big athlete, much like Peppers was coming out of North Carolina. Not to mention, the guy gets it done on the field as well, as he's a feared pass rusher who is also no slouch against the run.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario has been said to be the best DE prospect since Peppers. Not sure what that means exactly but if true, you take him in a heartbeat over a non-explosive DT who now has an injury to boot. I haven't seen enough of either player to be making real evals though....

552545[/snapback]

Any update on Ngata's injury? I can't find one anywhere.

Mario Williams measures up well to Julius Peppers:  he's 6-7, 285 and is very quick.  They say he also has around 6% body fat, so he's a big athlete, much like Peppers was coming out of North Carolina.  Not to mention, the guy gets it done on the field as well, as he's a feared pass rusher who is also no slouch against the run.

552553[/snapback]

Sounds good. I'll have to do some research on him.

And I agree with you about the need to upgrade the DE position. Kelsay's not getting it done and our SS blitz packages didn't work all season. Having a pressure defense could go a long way to helping this team turn around quickly.

I wasn't too impressed with that DE from Penn State last night, so I look forward to checking out Williams some more.

Mario Williams measures up well to Julius Peppers:  he's 6-7, 285 and is very quick.  They say he also has around 6% body fat, so he's a big athlete, much like Peppers was coming out of North Carolina.  Not to mention, the guy gets it done on the field as well, as he's a feared pass rusher who is also no slouch against the run.

552553[/snapback]

The kid from BC is no slouch either. Williams had Lawson on the bookend his whole career, while Kiwi consistently faced double teams. I wouldn't be disapointed with either of them.

The guy that broke my heart was Joe Thomas. This was our guy IMO. He would have been our LT for the next 10 years and was only scratching the surface. He looked better and better every game I saw him.

The guy that broke my heart was Joe Thomas.  This was our guy IMO.  He would have been our LT for the next 10 years and was only scratching the surface.  He looked better and better every game I saw him.

552574[/snapback]

What's the story with Joe Thomas. I heard that he was our guy but now he's not available. Is he injured or just staying in school?

Is he really the next Freeney or Pepper?

Besides, how exactly a pass-rushing DE is going to solve our run-D issues?

A good D starts in the middle. Besides, if Mario´s this good, he won´t last until the eighth hole. Too many people (GMs included) are crazy about DEs. It´s all hype, you see - winning football is not the main concern...

300lb defensive ends are generally pretty good against the run. It happens to be a huge bonus when the can run like the wind-see peppers. Personally I wouldn't like the Ngata pick after watching the OU game but that is the only game I've seen, I just wasn't that impressed. I agree with Rich, address DT through free agency and draft Super Mario.

damn, I just read an article that said injured while playing DE.  That sucks.

552639[/snapback]

The McGahee reference is an interesting one. Maybe that means he'll still enter the draft?

article:

There was no official word from the team on Thomas' condition, though one teammate said it appeared to be a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Panos, who helped coach Thomas at Brookfield Central High School and has been close to him ever since, declined comment on the severity of the injury.

"We'll find out when they get the MRI results," Panos said.

Typically, there is a recovery time of about six months from such an injury. Even if it is a torn ACL, as expected, the good news could be the way it happened. Thomas' knee was not severely wrenched when he went down and it did not take a direct hit.

"This isn't like a (Willis) McGahee injury, it wasn't a blunt-force trauma," Panos said of the Buffalo Bills running back who was hurt in college at Miami (Fla.). "So, I'm expecting the damage not to be (as) severe. That's my guess. It's not like you hear a kid's whole knee was torn. I don't think it's anything like that."

From Today's Kiper Chat

Matt (Buffalo,NY): It seems Mario Willaims is the consensus number 1 defensive end this year. But how far behind are Mathias Kiwanuka and Tamba Hali?

Mel Kiper: I think Hali is the next best defensive end. He might only be 6-1, but Dwight Freeney is the same size. Hali has a great motor, he can finish. He could go top 10. The Lions could use him. The Rams. Eagles. If you want to go earlier in the first round, Detroit could be the first spot. Williams is the first defensive end taken. There won't be a big gap. Hali could go to 9, while Williams is 3. Kiwanuka in the middle of the first.

Of the ones I'm aware of, here's some possibilities:

Kendrick Clancy

Ma'ake Kemoeatu

Grady Jackson

Ed Jasper

These guys probably will be re-signed, but if they're not, I'd consider them:

Ryan Pickett

Larry Triplett

Chris Hovan

552417[/snapback]

I hope they get Grady. He can really anchor and stand up a double team. It's a risk, because he has detractors regarding his effort and he's getting up there in age, but that's also the only reason he may be available. I'm ngata Ngata fan. He doesn't play up to his size, much like Adams, except Adams is far quicker and more powerful. People impressed with Ngata's stats should go check out what Adams did at Texas A&M. He was dominant.

I´d trade down to the low teens and select either Marcus McNeil or Orien Harris...

551229[/snapback]

McNeil is a lazy slob, perhaps another mike williams, and if Harris played for any other team besides miami, he'd be a second day pick, meaning he's not that good, and he gets way too much attention

Is he really the next Freeney or Pepper?

Besides, how exactly a pass-rushing DE is going to solve our run-D issues?

A good D starts in the middle. Besides, if Mario´s this good, he won´t last until the eighth hole. Too many people (GMs included) are crazy about DEs. It´s all hype, you see - winning football is not the main concern...

551309[/snapback]

good

Another plus with TD gone........

No more tall, "high motor", white DE's in the 2nd or 3rd rounds!

DE is a very important position. Have we forgotten with BRUUUCE, Peppers, Freeney did to their defense? A good DE means that the offense needs to plan around him. Double or even triple team them. It makes the pass defense tons better as well.

McNeil is a lazy slob, perhaps another mike williams, and if Harris played for any other team besides miami, he'd be a second day pick, meaning he's not that good, and he gets way too much attention

554599[/snapback]

Lazy slob? That's BS. He's just massive and he may not have the quickness to play LT in the NFL -- but he started out as a RT so he can always go back.

552553[/snapback]

For some reason I see Mario Williams as a LDE in a 3-4 much like former Oklahoma St. DT Kevin Williams who was switched to LDE by MIN once drafted.

I'll have to see his combine numbers before I can compare him to Peppers because he is so athlethic and has so much burst.

I'm just not sold on Ngata yet and can't see him getting by OAK anyway.

For some reason I see Mario Williams as a LDE in a 3-4 much like former Oklahoma St. DT Kevin Williams who was switched to LDE by MIN once drafted.

I'll have to see his combine numbers before I can compare him to Peppers because he is so athlethic and has so much burst.

554792[/snapback]

I'm just not sold on Ngata yet and can't see him getting by Oakland as well. I would love to see Mario Williams fall on our lap. Or maybe trade down pick up another first next year and snag Tamba Hali. Then address DT position via fa. Thoughts?

I'm just not sold on Ngata yet and can't see him getting by Oakland as well.  I would love to see Mario Williams fall on our lap.  Or maybe trade down pick up another first next year and snag Tamba Hali.  Then address DT position via fa.  Thoughts?

554797[/snapback]

I can't imagine us passing Williams if he's anything close to the athlete that Peppers is. We'll have to wait until the combine answers those questions. I also can't see Williams dropping to us either but who knows.

I'm not convinced that Hali is the same DE as Freeney but again we'd have to his combine numbers.

I think it would be easier to draft OT and sign a DT (And cheaper) because of how deep this draft is at OT and how hard it would be to shore up OT via FA.

There are two players dropping that I think would be huge steals if we could trade up into the 1st round for them -- DT Rodrique Wright and OT Eric Winston. anyone who says he's lazy and an underachiever needs to look at the numbers he has produced. I mean the guy had 7.5 sacks a couple of seasons ago and a season ago he was hampered by injury (Not sure what his total is this season). Winston would be a risk but he'd end the need for a LT for the next 6 years.

In the end I think we'll likey end up with D'Brickshaw Ferguson since there really are 7 players better than him in the draft (Bush, Leinart, Young, Hawk, Williams, J. Williams and D. Williams) due to the needs of teams above us. Out of the top 5 teams above us (Forget the top two who will draft Bush and Leinart 1-2) only TEN and NYJ have a real need at LT but how can they pass up players like Young or Williams or Hawk of J. Williams?

My guess is that they won't and we'll end up solving our LT problem. i'm really not too worried about our first pick as much as I am our second.

We could easily trade up a couple spots and solve our DT problem or stand pat and draft an interior OL and depending on what's on the board that wouldn't be a bad call. If Wright is their I think you've got to go get him but he likely won't be after people see him at the combines.

Lazy slob?  That's BS.  He's just massive and he may not have the quickness to play LT in the NFL -- but he started out as a RT so he can always go back.

554786[/snapback]

hahaha, that doesnt sound like mike williams to you?