2006 First Round pick for Bills

TDRupp

If the Bills end up with the 9th pick I am betting they trade down or take Jimmy williams (even if we franchise Clements), cb/S out of Va Tech. If M Williams or Hgata or Kiwi slides to us I am betting we take them. Obviously, the guy I'd love is Ngata but he will not be there at 9. MAYBE at 8. Big MAYBE. I loved watching M Williams (vs. So Fla) and Kiwi (vs NC State) in the couple of games I saw them play. They looked unstoppable in those games.

What I consider the top 10 players or picks not necessarliy in this order. I would like any but the QB's, Rb's (I'd take Bush!) or Hawk for the 2006 Bills:

1. Bush, RB

2. Leinart, QB

3. Brick Ferguson, OT

4. Young, QB

5. Haloti Ngata, Dt

6. Mario Williams, DE

7. Hawk, LB

8. Mathias Kiwanuka

9. Deangelo Williams

10. Jimmy Williams

Trade down possible targets:

Winston Justice OT

Eric Winston OT

Michael Huff CB

If the Bills end up with the 9th pick I am betting they trade down or take Jimmy williams (even if we franchise Clements), cb/S out of Va Tech. If M Williams or Hgata or Kiwi slides to us I am betting we take them.  Obviously, the guy I'd love is Ngata but he will not be there at 9.  MAYBE at 8.  Big MAYBE.  I loved watching M Williams (vs. So Fla) and Kiwi (vs NC State) in the couple of games I saw them play.  They looked unstoppable in those games. 

What I consider the top 10 players or picks not necessarliy in this order. I would like any but the QB's, Rb's (I'd take Bush!) or Hawk for the 2006 Bills:

1. Bush, RB

2. Leinart, QB

3. Brick Ferguson, OT

4. Young, QB

5. Haloti Ngata, Dt

6. Mario Williams, DE

7. Hawk, LB

8. Mathias Kiwanuka

9. Deangelo Williams

10. Jimmy Williams

Trade down possible targets:

Winston Justice OT

Eric Winston OT

Michael Huff CB

548008[/snapback]

I'd rank Young above Leinart and I still think Wright is the better DT in the draft. I do think we could trade down and grab our OT but the problem is going to be finding someone. The win vs. Cincy KILLED us because we likely would've had the no.3 pick.

Kiper's Big Board: top 25 seniors (12/29)

1. Matt Leinart, QB, USC (6-4, 225 pounds) | previous rank: same

His arm strength has improved since last season, and he is throwing the ball even better. Leinart might not have repeated as the Heisman Trophy winner, but he makes plays when he has to. He should remain at the top of the draft board.

2. A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State (6-1½, 242) | previous rank: same

The top defensive player in the senior class. An instinctive player and a sure tackler, he knows which angles to take to the ball and finds his way through traffic very well.

3. Tamba Hali, DE, Penn State (6-3, 267) | previous rank: 5

Has been at the top of his game all year. Hali is the best player on one of the best defenses in the country. A natural pass-rusher who has been fun to watch all season.

4. DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama (6-1½, 235) | previous rank: 3

Leader of the Crimson Tide defense. Has impressed in the Tide's biggest games this season. Tide defense did all it could to try to keep undefeated season alive.

5. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia (6-5½, 295) | previous rank: 4

Came back from a knee injury and still remains the top offensive lineman on the board.

6. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis (5-9, 215) | previous rank: 7

Third in the nation in rushing yards per game, despite not playing behind one of the best offensive lines. Could very well be a top-10 pick.

7. Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech (6-2½, 207) | previous rank: 6

Gives the Hokies a shutdown cornerback who can lock up the opposing team's top receiver. He eliminates one side of the field. A former safety who moved to corner before the 2004 season.

8. Michael Huff, DB, Texas (6-1, 205) | previous rank: 9

Athletic and instinctive, he has shown the versatility to play cornerback or safety at the next level.

9. Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt (6-3¼, 227) | previous rank: 10

Second-best senior QB on the board behind Matt Leinart. Has the potential to be a first-round pick, depending on how he performs in the Senior Bowl and individual workouts.

10. Orien Harris, DT, Miami (6-3, 307) | previous rank: 11

Blessed with a ton of talent, Harris has bounced back from a subpar junior campaign. He has maximized his ability on a consistent basis in 2005.

11. Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa (6-2½, 244) | previous rank: 12

Has become one of the nation's top-flight linebackers the past two years. A smart player with great physical skills, Greenway knows how to find the ball and can go all over the field to get to it.

12. Derek Hagan, WR, Arizona State (6-1½, 203) | previous rank: 13

A precise route-runner who will come into the NFL in 2006 with a great understanding of what is expected to be an immediate contributor.

13. Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College (6-5½, 260) | previous rank: 8

Came back from an injury against Virginia earlier this season. A tremendous talent who needs to polish his pass-rushing skills.

14. Claude Wroten, DT, LSU (6-2, 293) | previous rank: 17

Solid and reliable, Wroten has given LSU consistent play throughout the season.

15. Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP (6-2½, 233) | previous rank: 14

Has come a long way since his days as a walk-on defensive back. UTEP's best defensive player, Howard is a gifted athlete with 4.4 speed who covers the field from sideline to sideline.

16. Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami (5-8½ 183) | previous rank: 15

Can turn a short completion into a coast-to-coast TD. Not great size, but Moss has great speed and should excel at the next level.

17. Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State (6-2½ 305) | previous rank: 16

Combines strength with quickness and a relentless approach. A very effective pass-rusher for an interior lineman.

18. Jason Spitz, G/C, Louisville (6-3½ 307) | previous rank: same

Versatile player who will have a long career at the next level. Strongest player on Louisville's roster.

19. Anthony Smith, DB, Syracuse (6-1, 194) | previous rank: same

Real playmaker on a team that struggled in 2005. Combines excellent cover skills with a rugged, hard-nosed approach. Smith is not only a quality free safety but also has made a dramatic impact on special teams throughout his impressive stay in the Big East.

20. Dwayne Slay, FS, Texas Tech (6-3½, 210) | previous rank: same

A very physical and hard-hitting safety, Slay led the Red Raiders in tackles and set a Big 12 record with eight forced fumbles.

21. Ryan O'Callaghan, OT, California (6-6½, 340) | previous rank: same

Depending on who comes out early, O'Callaghan could end up being the highest-rated right tackle prospect in the draft. Prototype right tackle at the next level. Very tough; he played through a broken wrist for most of 2004 and battled through a concussion in '05.

22. Elvis Dumervil, DE, Louisville (6-0, 256) | previous rank: same

Feared and disruptive sack artist. Has at least two sacks in five games this season and leads the nation with 20 sacks. Reminds me of Colts DEs Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

23. Max Jean-Gilles, G, Georgia (6-4, 350) | previous rank: same

One of the best guards in the country, Jean-Gilles had a solid outing against a great LSU defensive line in the SEC title game.

24. Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA (6-6, 258) | previous rank: same

Has legit 4.5 speed and a perfect frame for the position. Leads the Bruins in receptions, yards and touchdowns.

25. Kyle Williams, DT, LSU (6-1½, 294) | previous rank: same

Consistent and productive, he gets overshadowed at times by teammate Claude Wroten, who lines up next to him on the defensive line. Williams never disappears from the action.

Mel's Top 5 Juniors

Quarterback

1. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame

2. Vince Young, Texas

3. Drew Stanton, Michigan State

4. Omar Jacobs, Bowling Green

5. Jordan Palmer, UTEP

5a. Marcus Vick, Virginia Tech

5b. Zac Taylor, Nebraska

5c. Jeff Rowe, Nevada

5d. Drew Tate, Iowa

Running back

1. Reggie Bush, USC

2. Laurence Maroney, Minnesota

3. LenDale White, USC

4. Michael Bush, Louisville

5. Kenny Irons, Auburn

5a. Maurice Drew, UCLA

5b. Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin

5c. Tony Hunt, Penn State

Wide receiver

1. Santonio Holmes, Ohio State

2. Jeff Samardzija, Notre Dame

3. Jason Hill, Washington State

4. Chad Jackson, Florida

5. Cory Rodgers, TCU

5a. Courtney Taylor, Auburn

5b. Jarrett Hicks, Texas Tech

5c. Steve Smith, USC

5d. Greg Lee, Pittsburgh

5e. Joel Filani, Texas Tech

Tight end

1. Vernon Davis, Maryland

2. Leonard Pope, Georgia

3. Anthony Fasano, Notre Dame

4. Clark Harris, Rutgers

5. Martrez Milner, Georgia

5a. Matt Spaeth, Minnesota

Offensive line

1. Joe Thomas (LT), Wisconsin

2. Winston Justice (RT), USC

3. Levi Brown (LT), Penn State

4. Justin Blalock (RT), Texas

5. Kyle Young, Fresno St. ©

5a. Doug Free (LT), Northern Illinois

5b. Manuel Ramirez (RG), Texas Tech

Defensive line

1. Mario Williams (DE), NC State

2. Gaines Adams, (DE), Clemson

3. Haloti Ngata (DT), Oregon

4. Kareem Brown (DT), Miami

5. Quentin Moses (DE), Georgia

5a. Ray Edwards (DE), Purdue

5b. Mkristo Bruce (DE), Washington St

5c. Brent Curvey (DT), Iowa St.

5d. Adam Carriker (DE), Nebraska

5e. Dan Bazuin (DE), Central Michigan

5f. Jay Moore (DE), Nebraska

Linebackers

1. Paul Posluszny, Penn St.

2. Ernie Sims, Florida State

3. Patrick Willis, Ole Miss

4. Ahmad Brooks, Virginia

5. Oscar Lua, USC

5a. Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma

5b. H.B. Blades, Pittsburgh

5c. Kai Parham, Virginia

5d. Anthony Waters, Clemson

5e. Justin Durant, Hampton

Defensive backs

1. Brandon Meriweather, Miami

2. LaRon Landry, LSU

3. Ashton Youboty, Ohio St.

4. Michael Griffin, Texas

5. Darnell Bing, USC

5a. Antonio Cromartie, Florida State

5b. Johnathan Joseph, South Carolina

5c. Danieal Manning, Abilene Christian

5d. Bernard Pollard, Purdue

5e. Eric Weddle, Utah

5f. Donte Whitner, Ohio St.

5g. Devin Hester, Miami

Place-Kickers

1. Mason Crosby, Colorado

2. Justin Medlock, UCLA

3. Mike Barrow, Idaho

4. Brandon Pace, Virginia Tech

5. Andrew Wellock, Eastern Michigan

5a. Kyle Schlicher, Iowa

5b. John Deraney, NC State

Punters

1. Daniel Sepulveda, Baylor

2. Adam Graessle, Pittsburgh

3. Brandon Fields, Michigan St.

4. Adam Podlesh, Maryland

5. Michael Gibson, Memphis

Rod Wright isn't in the top 5 of DT's if you watch him.  If you believe the Texas Hype machine he's the best.  He might be the laziest player in college football.  UNDERACHIEVER!!!

548058[/snapback]

He sounds a little soft to me but I have never watched him play.

Wow. a loss to Cincy and we would have been in great position to trade down to someone that needed a QB or to take Brick Furg. That said a very good player will be there at the 8 spot.

I have posted before that I REALLY wanted the Bills to take Roy Williams with the 4th pick awhile ago but at the time was satisified with Mike at that point.

I'd rank Young above Leinart and I still think Wright is the better DT in the draft.  I do think we could trade down and grab our OT but the problem is going to be finding someone.  The win vs. Cincy KILLED us because we likely would've had the no.3 pick.

548022[/snapback]

Young is in no way better than Leinart. He's a scrambler and scramblers don't win on the NFL level. He's got a big arm but couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. He doesnt read defenses and throws terrible INTs. I've had to watch this guy every week against the like UL Monroe and North Texas and Baylor and alll those other tough division 4 teams, and i have yet to come away impressed by Vince. But like i said before he's a great athlete and can get by with that in college but not in the NFL.

Young is in no way better than Leinart.  He's a scrambler and scramblers don't win on the NFL level. He's got a big arm but couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. He doesnt read defenses and throws terrible INTs. I've had to watch this guy every week against the like UL Monroe and North Texas and Baylor and alll those other tough division 4 teams, and i have yet to come away impressed by Vince. But like i said before he's a great athlete and can get by with that in college but not in the NFL.

548803[/snapback]

Its funny becuase I think I've heard the same thing about McNair, Culpepper and Vick before they came out.

To me Young is a combination of all three of those player's strong points and to say that he doesn't read defenses doesn't mean he can never learn -- its just at the college level he can win games by making plays.

I'll take a mobile QB who can make plays with their arm and feet just as quickly as I would an accurate strong armed passer but Leinart is neither. He's not "noodle armed" as some people have claimed but I'd still take Young over him.

Rod Wright isn't in the top 5 of DT's if you watch him.  If you believe the Texas Hype machine he's the best.  He might be the laziest player in college football.  UNDERACHIEVER!!!

548058[/snapback]

I've watched him a lot -- and he's the best Dt prospect in the country hands down.

I'm sticking with taking the best available lineman, whether it be offensive or defense. In looking at things today I would have to say it would be OT Eric Winston but if DE Mathias Kiwanuka is there I go for him but it mean putting off finding a Left OT for yet another year unless a guy like Daryn Colledge fell into Round 2 but still have questions if he can play there in the pros.

As of right now I rank the lineman in the draft that are worthy of taking in the first half of the draft as follows:

OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

DE Mario Williams

DE Mathias Kiwanuka

OT Eric Winston

-------------------------

OT Jonathan Scott

DT Rodrique Wright

DT Haloti Ngata

While I think Winston's worth the 8th overall pick, anyone else below him to me is a reach and would only advise taking if we trade down to around pick 15.

If Hawk is there, you take him in a heartbeat.  He is the new TKO.  He would be like Biscuit a guy who could make an impact immediately.  When someone like Hawk is available you have to take him.

549279[/snapback]

I like biscuits....especially the ones from Popeye's...nice and buttery!!! mmmm

It is a bit early to start predicting things. Phillip Rivers was a projected 3rd round pick a couple years ago and went top 5. Last year Antajjh Hawthorne was a projected first rounder, and if i recall correctly went in the 6th round.

Barring something crazy, Bush and Leinert will be first rounders, but beyond that...lets at least wait till after the senior bowl.

It is a bit early to start predicting things.  Phillip Rivers was a projected 3rd round pick a couple years ago and went top 5.  Last year Antajjh Hawthorne was a projected first rounder, and if i recall correctly went in the 6th round.

Barring something crazy, Bush and Leinert will be first rounders, but beyond that...lets at least wait till after the senior bowl.

549317[/snapback]

No, no ! Let's make unwavering predictions now !

Then scream at other posters who don't worship us like obedient lemmings.

It is a bit early to start predicting things.  Phillip Rivers was a projected 3rd round pick a couple years ago and went top 5.  Last year Antajjh Hawthorne was a projected first rounder, and if i recall correctly went in the 6th round.

549317[/snapback]

shhhh, TSW isn't the place for common sense. Especially with MM still employed on Black Monday

Its funny becuase I think I've heard the same thing about McNair, Culpepper and Vick before they came out.

To me Young is a combination of all three of those player's strong points and to say that he doesn't read defenses doesn't mean he can never learn -- its just at the college level he can win games by making plays.

I'll take a mobile QB who can make plays with their arm and feet just as quickly as I would an accurate strong armed passer but Leinart is neither.  He's not "noodle armed" as some people have claimed but I'd still take Young over him.

549229[/snapback]

Sounds like JP. :unsure: