Ralph's Comments....between the lines...

Buftex

Forgive me if this has been posted already:

Postgame Comments by Owner Ralph Wilson

Buffalobills.com

01/01/2006 5:04 PM

Bills owner Ralph Wilson was stopped by reporters outside the locker room after Buffalo's 30-26 loss to the New York Jets. Here is a transcript of the interview that took place.

On the season

"It's been terribly disappointing. With all the hype at the start of the season with a new young quarterback… but he was unproven. We had too much hype. You can talk about it, but you've got to do it. I just picked that out (as one example). I'm not blaming him (Losman) for it."

Is your disappointment a reflection on Tom and the way he's put this team together?

"I'm disappointed with the whole season, the whole season and I'm going to address it. I'm not just going to say, 'Gee I hope we get better next year.'"

Are you going to change the structure of the organization?

"We're going to change the structure."

In what ways?

"I'll get to that. We're going to change the structure."

On Mike Mularkey

"I'm going to talk to Mike and see what he has to say and see what he thinks he needs. But there are going to be some changes. What's that old song? 'There are going to be some changes made'? Frankly I forget the words beyond there are going to be some changes made."

Take a couple of days and then make some changes?

"Yeah."

So, Ralph says some changes will be made...but he is going to talk to Mike Mularkey, and see what he "needs". That sure sounds like a stay of execution for Mularkey to me...

Good, I kind of like MM despite the overwhelming majority of this board wanting him fired. He knows what it takes to win and he's now got some of the growing pains out of the way. He may have to can some of his staff but i think the players believe in him. I'm tired of TD so hopefully he gets replaced.

Mularkey is NOT a lock to stay on. Depends on who gets named GM. If it's Modrak or someone inside the organization, then I think he will stay. If it's someone completely new, then all bets are off.

All you can say is Mularkey won't be fired this week.

PTR

Buffalobills.com

Bills owner Ralph Wilson was stopped by reporters outside the locker room after Buffalo's 30-26 loss to the New York Jets. Here is a transcript of the interview that took place.

On the season

"It's been terribly disappointing. With all the hype at the start of the season with a new young quarterback… but he was unproven. We had too much hype. You can talk about it, but you've got to do it. I just picked that out (as one example). I'm not blaming him (Losman) for it."

Is your disappointment a reflection on Tom and the way he's put this team together?

"I'm disappointed with the whole season, the whole season and I'm going to address it. I'm not just going to say, 'Gee I hope we get better next year.'"

In what ways?

On Mike Mularkey

"I'm going to talk to Mike and see what he has to say and see what he thinks he needs. But there are going to be some changes. What's that old song? 'There are going to be some changes made'? Frankly I forget the words beyond there are going to be some changes made."

"Yeah."

So, Ralph says some changes will be made...but he is going to talk to Mike Mularkey, and see what he "needs".  That sure sounds like a stay of execution for Mularkey to me...

547709[/snapback]

Figures...Personally, and this is just me talking, unless MM goes NOTHING the Bills do will be good enough in the end...Because if your HC is not good enough, your Talent has to be outstanding...especially at QB...

MM=Doomed... ;)

So, Ralph says some changes will be made...but he is going to talk to Mike Mularkey, and see what he "needs".  That sure sounds like a stay of execution for Mularkey to me...

547709[/snapback]

Actually, all it says to me is that TD has already been sacked and MM is the highest ranking front office person still on staff. That may (or may not) change over the next few months.

Mularkey is NOT a lock to stay on.  Depends on who gets named GM.  If it's Modrak or someone inside the organization, then I think he will stay.  If it's someone completely new, then all bets are off.

All you can say is Mularkey won't be fired this week.

PTR

548005[/snapback]

Maybe up until now, Mr.Wilson's main line of communication has been TD, who's been trying to deflect blame from himself in order to save his own ass.

Now RW may want to get MM's take on where the problems lie, directly from the horses mouth. If MM can provide good enough answers as to why he was unable to be successful, he may save his job for another year. He did, afterall, do a pretty good job in his rookie year rallying the troops.

His record is 14-18 in two years. Not great, but not at the bottom of the barrell either. Considering the lack of talent in the trenches, how much better could Parcells, Gibbs, Vermeil, Gruden, Billick, or Bilichick have done? They are all coaches who've won the big one. They too have had some below .500 teams in the in the past as they've built their squads.

I thought some of the play calling sucked, but after thinking about it further, maybe Mularkey had to make unconventional calls because of the ineffectiveness and ineptitude of the offensive line. You can't run an offensive play as it's drawn up during chalk talk if the defensive end is in your backfield one second after the ball is snapped. I do think, however, that he needs to get away from some of the gimmick plays and razzle dazzle crap. Looks cool when it works, but it usually doesn't.

With the field position the kicking and return teams have provided, any semblence of an offense should get the Bills 4 or 5 more wins next season.

The big mistake may have been handing the job to JP Losman too soon. Holcomb, though probably not the next coming of Joe Montana, is efficient, goes through his progressions nicely, and shows far more poise than JP. Was it Tom Donahoe's decision to go with Losman without even considering a training camp competition?

That might be the one theat sealed his fate as the Bills' GM.

JP may come along in time, but right now, he's like...well...like a QB who needs some seasoning.

After he sits, learns, and matures, he'll have the opportunity to combine his QB education with his natural athletisism. Could be a real good QB, but I'd rather have him learn on his own time than all of ours.

After the Patriots mauling of the Bills a few weeks ago, Donahoe had a more somber than usual tone to his voice during post-game interviews. He's been relatively humble and quiet since. I have a feeling that Mr. Wilson told Donahoe of his lame duck status shortly after that Patriot game, telling him that he could keep his position until season end.

Is Modrak the answer? I don't think so. I don't know exactly what his role has been regarding personnel the last few years, but obviously the talent is not there.

What has been his conribution (or lack of)?

Will Marv be brought back in some capacity? Wouldn't surpise me a bit.

Maybe the guy on the Bears staff (Buffalo native)will be interviewed. Maybe Marv and him will carpool to back to Buffalo from Chicago.

The Bills have some good players in key positions. If they can get the O and D lines up to NFL standards, they might surprise some people next year.

Mularkey blows. How many Shelton passes for zero yards can fans stomach? Or today's dandy to Shelton that went the other way.

Shelton passes are a running joke we have.

Proves Mulakey is an idiot.

547795[/snapback]

Your assumption is MM called the play, when its possible it was another KH checkdown or audible.

In the end, I think the only person Ralph has trusted to tell him the truth is Marv Levy. I think Marv comes back to the org in a high level capacity and, with Modrak, start to rebuild some of the scouting personnel/depth as well as overall coaching staff.

Even with Spikes and Pat Williams gone, we let a 3-12 team score 30 points to beat us yesterday (okay....one special team score). I think the entire coaching staff is suspect (expections: McNally, Krumrie) and the staff needs to be in place before the personnel moves can begin.

One other thought....

I think Ralph is so P*ssed about being taken to the cleaners by Mike Williams...and having been sold on this by Tom Donahoe.....that there will be no more blank checks.

I don;t blame him. A LOT of money went out the window with Williams....

Buffalobills.com

On the season

In what ways?

On Mike Mularkey

"Yeah."

547709[/snapback]

We were lucky enough to be in the box two suites away from Mr Wilson. After the game, as his party departed, it was a slow, somber march from the suite to the elevators. Mr. Wilson lead the group, and only the few people from his party that were in the back spoke in hushed tones. I recognized his daughter, his wife, and his wifes mother in law. Certainly no sighting of Donahoe or Modrak.

I don't think Donahoe will be fired- he'll either retain his current positions, or just stay on as President of football operations

548331[/snapback]

According to team sources he already is fired.

I know you like TD Adam but his time is done here. He has been the worst GM since 2000. Ralph sounds to me based on his comments that he isnt going to take TDs crap anymore.

I think the entire coaching staff is suspect (expections: McNally, Krumrie) and the staff needs to be in place before the personnel moves can begin.

548322[/snapback]

What have you seen from our Dline or Oline that gives you any indications that these guys any clue what they are doing? Oh so what we have a converted TE, who is 330 pounds anyhow and projected to be a LT in the league who is barely adequae on passing downs at the easier RT and bad at best most of the year on Running plays.

The failed first round coaching of Williams. The horrible play of Teague. The making of Bennie Anderson who was an above average LG at Baltimore who looked bad for most of the year and only started to show some, not all of his old form the last 5 weeks.

And don't even get me started on the Dline.

No these two clowns are part of the overall problem, living on reputations, and "act" but no real substance.

In fact Wyche, showed me as i thought Losman while he started terrible, really while bad at the end, had shown a lot of improvement. That to me means coaching was working.

Wyche is the only one who deserves any chance of staying.