OT - Browns to fire GM Savage

DCgirl

Was he the guy that got rid of their entire defensive line to Denver which allowed the Broncos to be third in the league against the run this season and the Browns to be 29th?

545950[/snapback]

I think the change of scenery was needed for everyone involved in that deal. Crennel wanted to run a 3-4 and the underperforming first rounders had played too much like Mike Williams to get another year in Cleveland.

I refuse to judge a guy based on one season of retooling an absolutely awful franchise. He had almost nothing to work with in Cleveland so I don't blame him for wanting to clean house and get rid of guys who were eating up a ton of cap for little onfield return.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the change of scenery was needed for everyone involved in that deal.  Crennel wanted to run a 3-4 and the underperforming first rounders had played too much like Mike Williams to get another year in Cleveland.

I refuse to judge a guy based on one season of retooling an absolutely awful franchise.  He had almost nothing to work with in Cleveland so I don't blame him for wanting to clean house and get rid of guys who were eating up a ton of cap for little onfield return.

545962[/snapback]

I was really just stirring the pot. If anything, I was making a point about GMs may be very good and still make some questionable calls, or may not always make the right decisions on linemen (TD anyone?). I personally think Savage is one of the only viable candidates out there, and I don't want TD fired just to fire him. But if we were to fire TD and hire Savage, I would be pretty happy with it.

Hmmm...a bizarre day continues:

Browns' website says Phil Savage is staying.

WTAM radio is reporting the same thing. They interviewed the Browns' President, John Collins, who says everything's been worked out and that Phil Savage will remain the VP/GM of the Browns.

Mike

Hmmm...a bizarre day continues:

Browns' website says Phil Savage is staying.

WTAM radio is reporting the same thing.  They interviewed the Browns' President, John Collins, who says everything's been worked out and that Phil Savage will remain the VP/GM of the Browns.

Mike

545977[/snapback]

Must be they heard Ralph was calling.

but but he dosnt have a big name like ron wolf or the wacko i keep wanting...jimmy johnson.savage may actually be better than both i just mentioned only for the fact he has been evaluating college talent recently.whereas i respect jimmy johnson a ton for being a good drafter.he has been out of scouting for a while now.ron wolf has been out of touch for a few years now.if we could get a guy like rick savage i wonder how much of his scouting department he can bring from cleveland? go bills in '06 and go bills this weekend in the swamps of jersey!

ESPN Starting to Backtrack.

If this story isn't true, then Mortensen should be fired.

Mike

545989[/snapback]

Why? Teams use reporters to push agendas and careers. Reporters use sources within teams to get scoops and inside stories and predict the future. A report is a report, and is not a fact. At the very most, a reporter should not be trusted as much if their stories are not true, but they should never be fired for it. Especially a story like this, which has a built-in deny factor. An insider within the Browns organization, especially a guy who doesn't like Savage could EASILY have told Mort, "Listen, I have talked o Collins and he plans on firing Savage." Mort should report that but not be held to it if this was full of sh-- or wishful thinking or Collins reconsiders.

Sort of like Mort's report on EM's insubordination... :w00t:

546219[/snapback]

The difference there is that no one refuted it, including Moulds himself. Here, someone refuted it. :doh::wub: So, if you're taking notes, when a reporter writes a story and no one has any complaints, even the person that the story puts in a bad light, and even his agent, or personal advisor does absolutely zero to refute it or deny it, you can usually assume that the report is true.