Who should replace TD?

apulshunny

I see a couple of threads about who the head coaching candidates are (I'd hire Fisher if he was available, but otherwise I could live if MM stays), but who are the GM candidates?

Now that we are five years into TD's 3 year plan, I do not have much enthusiasm for continuing this failed experiment. I'd be happier by going another direction, but who should we go with?

I dont understand why people think jeff fisher is so great. He sported a great team when Gregg Williams was the defensive coordinator of the team. Ever since Greggo left, the Titans have been short of spectacular. I'm not so sure he would be a great fit here, but i would like to hear some reasons why people think hes a great coach.

I dont understand why people think jeff fisher is so great. He sported a great team when Gregg Williams was the defensive coordinator of the team. Ever since Greggo left, the Titans have been short of spectacular. I'm not so sure he would be a great fit here, but i would like to hear some reasons why people think hes a great coach.

543845[/snapback]

+--------------+----------+

| Reg. Season | Playoffs |

+----------+--------------+----------+

| Year TM | W L T | W L |

| 1994 hou | 1 5 0 | 0 0 |

| 1995 hou | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |

| 1996 hou | 8 8 0 | 0 0 |

| 1997 ten | 8 8 0 | 0 0 |

| 1998 ten | 8 8 0 | 0 0 |

| 1999 ten | 13 3 0 | 3 1 |

| 2000 ten | 13 3 0 | 0 1 |

| 2001 ten | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |

| 2002 ten | 11 5 0 | 1 1 |

| 2003 ten | 12 4 0 | 1 1 |

| 2004 ten | 5 11 0 | 0 0 |

| 2005 ten | 4 11 0 | 0 0 |

| TOTALS | 97 84 0 | 5 4 |

I know the Cap hit destoyed them over the last 2 years, in addition to numerous injuries. Greggo became our coach in 2001. I see a couple playoff wins in 2002,2003.

His teams always played swarming D plus pounded the ball with Eddie George on Offense. McNair was never a big thrower and took a beating in his career. But they knew how to finish games and win, when McNair and George were healthy.

The biggest difference between wins and losses in the cap era is solid coaching. If he's released by the Titans, his phone will be ringing off the hook for good reason.

543845[/snapback]

I think the loss of Kearse and Eddie George really hurt them...and then the

retirements of Matthews and Wychek....

There's a very simple fact that people on this board seem to forget...if TD if let go, the only way the Bills will be able to get a new GM from outside the organization is if MM is also let go. What new GM will want to go to a situation where an existing coach is forced down his throat.

So...assuming that MM stays, which seems to be the general consensus around the league, there are only two plausible scenarios:

TD and MM stay

or

TD is fired, is replaced by Assistant GM Tom Modrak, and MM stays.

That's it kids. Don't get your hopes up for anything else except one of these two scenarios happening.

There's a very simple fact that people on this board seem to forget...if TD if let go, the only way the Bills will be able to get a new GM from outside the organization is if MM is also let go.  What new GM will want to go to a situation where an existing coach is forced down his throat.

So...assuming that MM stays, which seems to be the general consensus around the league, there are only two plausible scenarios:

TD and MM stay

or

That's it kids.  Don't get your hopes up for anything else except one of these two scenarios happening.

543874[/snapback]

Duh. Jimmy Johnson

There's a very simple fact that people on this board seem to forget...if TD if let go, the only way the Bills will be able to get a new GM from outside the organization is if MM is also let go.  What new GM will want to go to a situation where an existing coach is forced down his throat.

543874[/snapback]

i disagree with this. i think any GM that is willing to take the job will only take it if they are given the power to hire the coach they want. and i don't think it is that far fetched to say Ralph will give a new GM that power.

Mularkey is only owed 3 million on his current contract for the final 3 years of his contract. (i think). that is nothing compared to the cap hit the team will take if they release a guy like Mike Williams. Sometimes you have to throw the baby out with the bath water.

543874[/snapback]

You're right that it limits our options, and considering that there should be a few other open GM slots, we will be picking from the second tier, but I don't think it completely precludes anyone from outside the organization. For example, say you were offered the job, but you had to keep Mularkey, would you? BTW, I think this is the number 1 reason Mularkey should go - to expand our GM options. MM has defintely not been that impressive, but were it not for the GM switch, I'd say give him a 3rd year. Because Donahoe must go, MM gets tossed, too.

Mularkey is only owed 3 million on his current contract for the final 3 years of his contract.  (i think).  that is nothing compared to the cap hit the team will take if they release a guy like Mike Williams.  Sometimes you have to throw the baby out with the bath water.

543888[/snapback]

The difference between MM and Big Mike is that RW has already paid Big Mike, and although there is a cap hit, that is only NFL imaginary money. RW won't be writing anymore checks to big Mike. He would, however, have to write a check to MM.

And my choice for GM - Kirk Ferentz with complete organizational control.

TD and MM stay

or

That's it kids.  Don't get your hopes up for anything else except one of these two scenarios happening.

543874[/snapback]

I don't like this, but I agree that these are the most plausible scenarios.

Jimmy Johnson is a possibility. I say this only because JJ is very competitive and I think he would love to put together a team that can compete against Saban's (whom he doesn't like very much) Dolphins. But and then again he does hate the cold weather.

I'd like to see Buffalo pick up Scott Pioli from New England. He isn't the team President in NE so if we give him that title and a raise he can leave NE without any trouble.

I think what likely would happen is assuming RW fires TD, he starts talking with other GM candates, once there's a mutual attraction betwen Ralph and someone, Ralph asks, what does he think of MM as a coach? If the GM candate tells Ralph, I can live with him, great, if not all of a sudden Ralph fires MM, just like he did before TD came along. Season ended, WP was still the coach. A couple weeks goes by, and all of a sudden Wade gets fired, and within a week TD is hired.

The other problem too is for example with hiring the personal guy from NE, we'd have to wait till they are out of the playoffs which could be late January. Then for a new GM to only start looking for a coach, you'd be really scraping the bottom of the barrell. I feel that was part of the problem when Gregg Williams was hired, not alot of other choices left. So maybe the new GM keeps MM for another year, figures lets see how he does as by then no other good coaches left ot pick from? If he comes to conclusion that with better personal, he'd do OK, maybe it works out, if not he dumps him next year.