For those advocating an open competition

Guest BackInDaDay

Guest BackInDaDay

If the competitors are Holcomb and Losman, Holcomb wins hands down.

Losman hasn't had enough NFL game experience to challenge a veteran QB. He can't read NFL defenses at Holcomb's level, and no amount of film study will bring him up to a competitive speed.

The Bills didn't commit themselves to JP's developement this season.

We can argue whether they should have, or not, but the fact is - they didn't.

Why in the world would they commit to him in '06? They won't, so stop the BS, please!

There has to be a reality check at OBD and with the fans.

Many fans see things as OBD's management does. They're not willing to sacrifice short-term success for possible long-term success. It's a gamble that may or may not pay off, and they're content with the 'bird in the hand'. Fans desire an 'era' filled with glorious victories, but are willing to settle for backing into playoff games with mediocre teams - and don't think that goes unnoticed.

Well to each their own, but you can't have it both ways - especially where the QB position is concerned. It's still the most important position on the field, and if you're not willing to lose games developing a young guy, than you have to secure a solid veteran starter and his backup. Don't look for a green kid to outplay a solid vet, even if he's a 1st rounder.

OBD can't be wishy-washy about this. They must come to grips with their inability to make decisions that aren't based upon the whims of the public, the media, and disgruntled vets. This will free them from the pretense of rationalizing their whimsical draft picks and personnel decisions. Ralph Wilson has too long sat on the fence between making real commitments to Buffalo fans and transient attempts at satisfying public opinion.

An exorcism is necessary to remove the spirit that haunts OBD searching for it's spine. Please don't waste any more time, newspaper ink and internet bytes promising a bright Bills future. Many of us have heard the song and danced the dance for decades. It's not a crime to lack backbone, it's just not a desirable trait for leaders, or those who wish to lead.

All that said, I would suggest the Bills heirarchy trade Losman for another '06 draft choice. They may be able to salvage a high 2nd or low 3rd for him. They can then bring in another discarded veteran QB to challenge Holcomb as the '06 starter, and use a 4th to 7th round pick on a college QB to carry the clip-board.

Losman hasn't had enough NFL game experience to challenge a veteran QB.  He can't read NFL defenses at Holcomb's level, and no amount of film study will bring him up to a competitive speed.

Why in the world would they commit to him in '06?  They won't, so stop the BS, please!

Many fans see things as OBD's management does.  They're not willing to sacrifice short-term success for possible long-term success.  It's a gamble that may or may not pay off, and they're content with the 'bird in the hand'.  Fans desire an 'era' filled with glorious victories, but are willing to settle for backing into playoff games with mediocre teams - and don't think that goes unnoticed.

Well to each their own, but you can't have it both ways - especially where the QB position is concerned.  It's still the most important position on the field, and if you're not willing to lose games developing a young guy, than you have to secure a solid veteran starter and his backup.  Don't look for a green kid to outplay a solid vet, even if he's a 1st rounder.   

OBD can't be wishy-washy about this.  They must come to grips with their inability to make decisions that aren't based upon the whims of the public, the media, and disgruntled vets.  This will free them from the pretense of rationalizing their whimsical draft picks and personnel decisions. Ralph Wilson has too long sat on the fence between making real commitments to Buffalo fans and transient attempts at satisfying public opinion.

An exorcism is necessary to remove the spirit that haunts OBD searching for it's spine.  Please don't waste any more time, newspaper ink and internet bytes promising a bright Bills future.  Many of us have heard the song and danced the dance for decades.  It's not a crime to lack backbone, it's just not a desirable trait for leaders, or those who wish to lead.

All that said, I would suggest the Bills heirarchy trade Losman for another '06 draft choice.  They may be able to salvage a high 2nd or low 3rd for him.  They can then bring in another discarded veteran QB to challenge Holcomb as the '06 starter, and use a 4th to 7th round pick on a college QB to carry the clip-board.

543361[/snapback]

Bret Favre? For those of you who cry sacrilege - remember Montana as a Chief?

Bret Favre?  For those of you who cry sacrilege - remember Montana as a Chief?

543384[/snapback]

In Madden it sounds like a good idea, but the reality is that there is no way Favre plays anywhere other than Green Bay. I believe he would not be receptive to it, more than the Packers not wanting to let him go.

Secondly, Favre, as much man love as we all (okay most) have for him, does not at all strike me as the mentoring type. The guy, underneath all that "aw shucks" facade, is as big a ham as there is in the leauge. He hasn't exactly bent over backwards to mentor his understudy in Green Bay.

Thirdly, Favre, in my opinion, still has some football left in him. He isn't going to go away quietly. Losman, if he is to develop, doesn't need this. If you are worried about the QB controversy that is stewing between JP and Holcomb, this would Doug Flutie/Rob Johnson x 2!

An exorcism is necessary to remove the spirit that haunts OBD searching for it's spine.  Please don't waste any more time, newspaper ink and internet bytes promising a bright Bills future.  Many of us have heard the song and danced the dance for decades.  It's not a crime to lack backbone, it's just not a desirable trait for leaders, or those who wish to lead.

All that said, I would suggest the Bills heirarchy trade Losman for another '06 draft choice.  They may be able to salvage a high 2nd or low 3rd for him.  They can then bring in another discarded veteran QB to challenge Holcomb as the '06 starter, and use a 4th to 7th round pick on a college QB to carry the clip-board.

543361[/snapback]

Talk about lacking backbone! You want the Bills to trade away Losman???? That is the worst tail-between-the-legs decision that could ever be made. Why not try having a little thing called patience. Losman has skills that Holcomb has never and will never have on his best day, those are escapability and the ability to throw the ball deep. This hand wringing over Losman has grown to epic proportions, give this kid a break. Can you at least let him start more than a dozen games before throwing him under the bus by trading him away? Sheeez!

Going into next season Holcomb will be the starter until... a) he doesn't produce and the Bills start losing games because of it ... or b) Losman clearly outperforms him in training camp/practices.

Talk about lacking backbone! You want the Bills to trade away Losman???? That is the worst tail-between-the-legs decision that could ever be made. Why not try having a little thing called patience. Losman has skills that Holcomb has never and will never have on his best day, those are escapability and the ability to throw the ball deep. This hand wringing over Losman has grown to epic proportions, give this kid a break. Can you at least let him start more than a dozen games before throwing him under the bus by trading him away? Sheeez!

Going into next season Holcomb will be the starter until... a) he doesn't produce and the Bills start losing games because of it ... or b) Losman clearly outperforms him in training camp/practices.

543470[/snapback]

Actually, I believe what you state is exactly what BackInDa Day is stating. Its the organization that seems to be lacking in patience. BIDD is saying that if this is the case, then OBD should cut the cord with JP now if it is more interested in winning a handful of games now, than trying to develop a possible QB of the future.

The only place Farve would go it New Orleans, if Gb were to let him go.  For anyone watching any football at all this season, this has been hinted upon numerous times, that he may want to play down there, to finish near home.

543440[/snapback]

It would be a great PR move for the NFL and the Saints, if Favre wound up his career in New Orleans. But, the Saints, given their roster and their uncertain future, are one of the handful of situations that Favre could go to, that is worse than what he would return to in Green Bay.

Great post BIDD!

I totally agree, this orginization is pitiful.

If they wanted a QB ready from day one, they should have signed a high priced veteran.

These idiots want it both ways, and in the end it will hurt JP's development.

543470[/snapback]

I think what he was trying to say was, If you're going to let KH and JPL battle it out in training camp, chances are KH's experience will win out over JPL and in this case, might as well get rid of JPL and try and get a draft pick for him.

I would be all for adding Favre if only for the reason that our secondary will be used toreacting to poorly thrown balls and getting interceptions after practicing with Favre for 5 days a week. Also, Losman might play some more inspired ball if he saw his idol walking around in his underwear more often.

The Sporting News just ran an article that merely states that the situation at QB in the NFL is boardering on abysmal! With that said, there are Drew Bledsoe like trades, whereby brighter minds will download a veteran that they have no further use for, for your first rounder. This approach is what it is.... delaying the one thing every franchise needs with the QB position.... LUCK! Drafting Losman was no different than drafting any QB taken in the first round, it was A GAMBLE ON GREATNESS! The Bengals were horrible for years because they drafted David Klingler and Akili Smith with the intention of having "found" their franchise QB! All anyone can hope for is that with Losman or whoever is next, that they finally get it right!!!

The problem here is that Losman, with the exception of the KC game, has not really shown much leadership. Typically, a young QB will struggle, but will also make some nice plays and give you glimpses of what a great QB he may become. I really do not see much of that with JP.

Otherwise, the decision that needs to be made is, do you risk setting your program back years by putting all of your eggs in one basket? If the rumors about JP's arrogance being a locker room problem, then I say cut your losses and start getting to the winning already.

Losman hasn't had enough NFL game experience to challenge a veteran QB.  He can't read NFL defenses at Holcomb's level, and no amount of film study will bring him up to a competitive speed.

Why in the world would they commit to him in '06?  They won't, so stop the BS, please!

Many fans see things as OBD's management does.  They're not willing to sacrifice short-term success for possible long-term success.  It's a gamble that may or may not pay off, and they're content with the 'bird in the hand'.  Fans desire an 'era' filled with glorious victories, but are willing to settle for backing into playoff games with mediocre teams - and don't think that goes unnoticed.

Well to each their own, but you can't have it both ways - especially where the QB position is concerned.  It's still the most important position on the field, and if you're not willing to lose games developing a young guy, than you have to secure a solid veteran starter and his backup.  Don't look for a green kid to outplay a solid vet, even if he's a 1st rounder.   

OBD can't be wishy-washy about this.  They must come to grips with their inability to make decisions that aren't based upon the whims of the public, the media, and disgruntled vets.  This will free them from the pretense of rationalizing their whimsical draft picks and personnel decisions. Ralph Wilson has too long sat on the fence between making real commitments to Buffalo fans and transient attempts at satisfying public opinion.

543361[/snapback]

Thanks for a well thought, original posting. Although I agree with most of it, I disagree with the following....

>>>>>The Bills didn't commit themselves to JP's developement this season.

We can argue whether they should have, or not, but the fact is - they didn't.<<<<<

Perhaps expectations were too high, but I think that they certainly did commit themselves to JP, to SUCH an extent that they dumped a quarterback in the offseason who is clearly superior to both JPL and KH.

Sure, I know that Drew bashing is the fad. Some literally hate him but he is better than those two by leaps and bounds. Still, the job was handed to JP after nothing short of a disasterous rookie year. No competition.....here, just take the football kid.

Then, OBD sold us a bill of goods about the offseason workouts with Wyche, and how JP would be "ready." As we saw this year, he was anything BUT ready. Now, throw in if you will this draft which consisted of "Dennis the Menace Parrish" and a tight end (did he have a history of knee problems?), add the loss of Jennings, and the offense was an instant mess.

Imo, TD is a ticket salesman. He brings in "exciting" little players and bad "big players." On both lines, Schobel is the only good player, although I do have high hopes for Peters. This is unacceptable by any standard.

>>>>>OBD can't be wishy-washy about this. They must come to grips with their inability to make decisions that aren't based upon the whims of the public, the media, and disgruntled vets.<<<<<

Btw, this was my favorite part of the post. People can blast MM as they so choose, but I for one am thrilled that he had he courage to stand up to Adams, Williams and Moulds. We are 5-9 WITH these "disgruntled vets" as you so appropriately labled them. In 06, they will count approx. 26 million against the cap the way things stand. 26 million dollars!!!! This will consist of roughly 30% of the Bills cap allotment for under productive players, and I think that I am being kind here.

Yes, it is truly time for a change at OBD.

The problem here is that Losman, with the exception of the KC game, has not really shown much leadership.  Typically, a young QB will struggle, but will also make some nice plays and give you glimpses of what a great QB he may become.  I really do not see much of that with JP.

Otherwise, the decision that needs to be made is, do you risk setting your program back years by putting all of your eggs in one basket?  If the rumors about JP's arrogance being a locker room problem, then I say cut your losses and start getting to the winning already.

543832[/snapback]

Did you watch the Miami game? :D