If you don't think winning 1 extra game can lead

Albany,n.y.

...and we took that loser Lee Evans two picks later (and Losman 22nd).

We SHOULDA traded the 13th, 22nd, and Bledsoe for Big Ben!  :huh:

BTW, what is QB Phil Rivers up to these days with San Diego? He was chosen 4th vs Big Ben 11th?  :lol:

Career stats:

2004 - 5/8, 33 yards, 1 TD

2005 - 1 play and he was sacked (-1)

His career rating is 110.9 though!

Games started = 0

543099[/snapback]

That's not quite what you'd call intellectual honesty. Everybody knows that Brees got hot, thereby eliminating the need for Rivers in SD.

The good thing about this for other teams is that they'll likely get a good starter in Rivers for next to nothing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it's more important that your team does better in the lower rounds than in round one, and that's where talent evaluators and the position coaches who develop them earn their pay. That's how the Bills of the 90's and the Patriots of this decade were able to stay successful. And that's especiially true in the salary cap era, where a premium is placed on developing lower round scouting.

Intellectual honesty? We are speculating on college football draft picks!! :huh:

So, Brees got hot, but he sure sucked before that, right? :P

I am not defending JP or dissing Ben R. I just do not think you can discuss the wisdom of draft picks intellectually in hindsight. God, 9:45 AM and I need a beer. You buying, Joe? :lol:

That's not quite what you'd call intellectual honesty. Everybody knows that Brees got hot, thereby eliminating the need for Rivers in SD.

The good thing about this for other teams is that they'll likely get a good starter in Rivers for next to nothing.

543104[/snapback]

In 2003 the 4-7 Bills won consecutive home games against the NYG & the NYJ, boosting their record to 6-7 in a futile effort to save a coaching staff before losing their final 3 games to finish 6-10.  If the Bills had just lost 1 of those 2 NY games they would have finished 5-11.  The 1 game cost the Bills at least 2 positions in the draft.  That year, the difference was that had the Bills lost just one more game, they would have drafted Ben Roethlisberger and we wouldn't have the QB controversy that will exist into next season, and we might be a team on the rise, close to Super Bowl contention.   

So as we celebrate the win against the Bengals, lets just hope we don't rue the day we beat the Bengals (and probably the Jets this Sunday) years from now.  Because that one extra win in 2003 altered this team's history for a few years at best.

542990[/snapback]

and ... the bills were able to draft lee evans, who strikes me as a better receiver than most of the guys drafted before him.

Sure, hindsight is 20/20. But never forget that the great teams of the late-80s and early-90s featured a LOT of talent the was either top-ten or first and second round talent.

See:

Bruce Smith

Jim Kelly

Thurman Thomas

Cornelius Bennett

543072[/snapback]

smith was #1 overall - no argument there.

kelly was 14th overall, same pick as the bills had in the 04 draft.

thomas was 37th overall

bennett was not drafted by the bills - they traded for him.

Intellectual honesty? We are speculating on college football draft picks!!  :huh:

So, Brees got hot, but he sure sucked before that, right?  :P

I am not defending JP or dissing Ben R. I just do not think you can discuss the wisdom of draft picks intellectually in hindsight. God, 9:45 AM and I need a beer. You buying, Joe?  :lol:

543112[/snapback]

LOL, no, after all I drank this weekend, the liver needs a breather.

I love wine any more.

I'm actually willing to be very patient with JP, probably more so than most here.

LOL, no, after all I drank this weekend, the liver needs a breather.

I love wine any more.

I'm actually willing to be very patient with JP, probably more so than most here.

543140[/snapback]

I am just pissed that I do not have t-w-th off. So, rather than work, I decided to f*ck with you a little bit. :lol:

I am just pissed that I do not have t-w-th off. So, rather than work, I decided to f*ck with you a little bit.  :lol:

543147[/snapback]

I think that is just wrong, Tomas.

Why can't people just come here to post? Why must you mess w/ people and be so sarcastic?

... and if the Bills would have won a few more games in 2001, perhaps Freeney would be here instead of Mike Williams. Tanking games works if you know you are getting a Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer or Reggie Bush.  Everything else is a crap shoot.  In the past 10 years or so (salary cap era), I bet teams have done better with the 7-10 picks than the 3-6 picks from a cost/performance measure.

543084[/snapback]

Ugh, it's true. I can't stand when people complain that we could've drafted Freeney, because everyone would have gone nuts if Donahoe had drafted Freeney 4th overall. With top five picks, you're pretty much locked in to drafting a 'consensus' top five draft pick like Mike Williams.

I don't want a top 5 pick this April. They lock you into huge contracts with players who are young and completely unproven.

So a road win by our young core of players at the end of the season against a team that was smoking hot is bad?

It's all about momentum for next year. If we beat the Jets this team has proven to itself that it can wins games bar none.

Draft pick, smaft pick, they could be a bust outside of Reggie Bush so I ain't going to complain about a road win against an 11-3 team when we already have the core to build upon.

Sometimes a top-tier pick can be a Hall of Fame player that will help you for ten years. Bruce Smith, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and Eli Manning were all first overall picks.

Now, you say that a win helps build confidence for next year. But confidence for whom? If players like Bennie Anderson, Teague, or Gandy feel an increase in confidence, who cares? Those guys shouldn't be here next year anyway. In fact, a LOT of the Bills' current players need to go.

Sometimes a top-tier pick can be a Hall of Fame player that will help you for ten years. Bruce Smith, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and Eli Manning were all first overall picks.

Now, you say that a win helps build confidence for next year. But confidence for whom? If players like Bennie Anderson, Teague, or Gandy feel an increase in confidence, who cares? Those guys shouldn't be here next year anyway. In fact, a LOT of the Bills' current players need to go.

543188[/snapback]

McGee, Parrish, Evans, McGahee, Reed.

McGahee's been a real let-down this year.

At least in my somewhat uninformed opinion.

543201[/snapback]

I do miss the stiffarms and the fearless way he hit the hole and kept going, like last year. He's obviously been taking dancing lessons from Nate Clements.

So a road win by our young core of players at the end of the season against a team that was smoking hot is bad?

It's all about momentum for next year. If we beat the Jets this team has proven to itself that it can wins games bar none.

Draft pick, smaft pick, they could be a bust outside of Reggie Bush so I ain't going to complain about a road win against an 11-3 team when we already have the core to build upon.

543162[/snapback]

Well said--though I think Bush will be a bust. He's not an every down back in the NFL. My gut tells me bust along the lines of Ki-Jana Carter.

I hope we get a lower draft pick. I'd rather have a mid-rounder and get a quality corner or lineman, rather than a top 5 skill player and build from scratch again.