John Abraham's status as a free agent?

This website says he'll be an unrestricted free agent by March. I've heard that the Jets are in major cap trouble, so I wonder if they'll be able to re-sign him...assuming they haven't already.

Yeah, you know it was coming: "hey, I've heard of him. Git 'er done, Mr. GM-to-be!"

539774[/snapback]

The Jets are in major cap trouble, last i heard over 20 million over the cap. If that is the case, they will have to do a major overhaul and most likely won't resign him.

This website says he'll be an unrestricted free agent by March. I've heard that the Jets are in major cap trouble, so I wonder if they'll be able to re-sign him...assuming they haven't already.

Yeah, you know it was coming: "hey, I've heard of him. Git 'er done, Mr. GM-to-be!"

539774[/snapback]

Yup, he is a FA next year.

We don't want him...he's injury prone,and once he gets the big contract, I have that feeling he's gonna pack it in.

Never even thought about this senario. Abraham is a player the Bills should seriously ponder. Our lack of pass rush is not talked about around here because of our run defense and offensive line problems, but with Tom Brady in our division I think getting Abraham could be a key to beating the Pats. Yes he has warts, but he may be a player that's worth the risk. The Bills will be in the best position moneywise if he wants to stay in the AFC East to torture the Jets.

I like John Abraham, and we have a serious need for a real pass rushing de opposite schobel, also getting someone like abraham would also allow versatility with our defense allowing an occasional switch to a 3-4 where we use him as a stand rush backer. However I'd be more inclined to go after darren howard or raheem brock. Arbraham has kearseitits. He's good when he wants to be but often "injured"

Yup, he is a FA next year.

We don't want him...he's injury prone,and once he gets the big contract, I have that feeling he's gonna pack it in.

539778[/snapback]

Maybe so. With all of the holes this team currently has, I have no problem with going for a bunch of solid players (Darren Howard, Grady Jackson, etc.) over 1-2 superstars. Rtconnor is right. As long as the guy leaves the division...

But think about this one, fellow Bills fans: we may be anywhere from $15-25 million dollars under the cap (depending on the EM and MW situation)! Factor in our 8 early round draft picks (plus JJ, PW comp.), and with Abraham or not, this team has a chance to get better quickly!

Maybe so. With all of the holes this team currently has, I have no problem with going for a bunch of solid players (Darren Howard, Grady Jackson, etc.) over 1-2 superstars. Rtconnor is right. As long as the guy leaves the division...

But think about this one, guys. We may be anywhere from $15-25 million dollars under the cap (depending on the EM and MW situation)! Factor in our 8 early round draft picks (plus JJ, PW comp.), and with Abraham or not, this team has a chance to get better quickly!

540138[/snapback]

Abraham's a helluva talent but his inability to stay healthy is a bit worrisome. As assuming he finishes out the season, it means he's only played a full season three times in his six year career. Truth be told if we lose Moulds he does need to be replaced and I feel Antonio Bryant and David Givens as the only viable options on the UFA landscape that could do so and might cost as much, if not more than Moulds would. Also Darren Howard will likely be the top DE on the market and likely out of price range.

No- we need to build through the draft, not free agency. If we spend now, we will runout of cap room when we are ready to contend, and won't be able to add that all important player.

540186[/snapback]

Fallacy. There are three ways to get players: Draft, FA, and waivers. Ignoring any of them ensures more time in the basement.

Fallacy.  There are three ways to get players: Draft, FA, and waivers. Ignoring any of them ensures more time in the basement.

540191[/snapback]

I agree with you- but building through free agency has led to 3 different bills teams- the one that had a dynamic offense and no defense....the great defense with no offense that followed....and now the one with neither.......building through free agency will make you good on 1 side of the ball, because the price is higher.

We need to follow what the other successful teams have done- build through the draft, and supplement through the other 2 methods

I wouldn't want, for example, a OT right out of the draft if I was trying to win right now. DT or DE, on the other hand, I'm fine with drafting them. Look at Wilfork.

540201[/snapback]

Theres the problem- you cant go for the right now guys if you arent going to win it right now- and we arent......maybe in a couple years

But think about this one, fellow Bills fans: we may be anywhere from $15-25 million dollars under the cap (depending on the EM and MW situation)! Factor in our 8 early round draft picks (plus JJ, PW comp.), and with Abraham or not, this team has a chance to get better quickly!

540138[/snapback]

darren howard will get a contract quite similar to john abraham......he's just as much a "superstar" as john abraham....

Theres the problem- you cant go for the right now guys if you arent going to win it right now- and we arent......maybe in a couple years

540208[/snapback]

As someone previously mentioned, Abraham is only 27. Why would he not be considered a buidling block?