The Top Five Reasons You Can't Blame

Ned Flanders

The truth of the matter is that our team was never well equiped to handle those strong NFC East teams that were so tough at the line of scrimmage. We played our best ball in that Giants game -- and darn near won, but the problems that would eventually plague us in the other 3 games began to come into focus in that Giants game.

Remember that Polian originally built that team to thwart Miami, who had primarily owned the division for decades. As such we could score quickly and almost at will to keep up with Marino -- and our pass defense was strong. However, we were not built to handle a consistently strong rushing attack.

Yes, I know that we managed to beat those NFC East teams during the regular season -- but in a winner take all tournament the stakes are very different. We simply did not match up well against those power running teams.

I really think the treat that would have provided the better match-up would have been if the Bills could have faced the 49ers during one of those years. Of course, the 49ers had their own problems getting past those teams as well.

540090[/snapback]

To me the truth of the matter is that the ever-loyal (to a fault) Marv Levy had his crony as our DC and wouldn't get rid of him even when he was terrible. Swizzle Stick had a Hall of Famer or two, three or four other complete studs, and three or four other extremely competent role players, and turned them into a bend but don't break defense that often times broke. A good defensive coach with that talent, even if we got Wade Phillips 3-4 years earlier would have brought a dynasty to Buffalo.

The truth of the matter is that our team was never well equiped to handle those strong NFC East teams that were so tough at the line of scrimmage. We played our best ball in that Giants game -- and darn near won, but the problems that would eventually plague us in the other 3 games began to come into focus in that Giants game.

Remember that Polian originally built that team to thwart Miami, who had primarily owned the division for decades. As such we could score quickly and almost at will to keep up with Marino -- and our pass defense was strong. However, we were not built to handle a consistently strong rushing attack.

Yes, I know that we managed to beat those NFC East teams during the regular season -- but in a winner take all tournament the stakes are very different. We simply did not match up well against those power running teams.

I really think the treat that would have provided the better match-up would have been if the Bills could have faced the 49ers during one of those years. Of course, the 49ers had their own problems getting past those teams as well.

540090[/snapback]

To me the truth of the matter is that the ever-loyal (to a fault) Marv Levy had his crony as our DC and wouldn't get rid of him even when he was terrible. Swizzle Stick had a Hall of Famer or two, three or four other complete studs, and three or four other extremely competent role players, and turned them into a bend but don't break defense that often times broke. A good defensive coach with that talent, even if we got Wade Phillips 3-4 years earlier, would have brought a dynasty to Buffalo.

Actually it did happen, in fact I have made a ton of money especially from Giants fan who deny that it ever happened.  If you have a tape of the game go to I believe it is 1:50 left in the game.  Giants backed the huddle right up to the line, one of the linemen looked and kicked the ball.  The ref first looks puzzled then he walks upto the ball and replaces it.  I believe 8 secs are lost.

540018[/snapback]

Gary Reasons did this several times.

Kelly deserves more blame than Norwood.  He partied too much...He was arrogant when the Giants challenged him...He wanted to be MVP so he didn't give the ball to Thurman enough.  He may be Mr. Bill, but that loss was 90% on him.

PTR

539573[/snapback]

I have said that for many years. Based on the Giants 2 - 4 - 5 Defense Thurman was killing them on the ground. On that last drive Thurman had two big runs (12+ yds). I did notice though that Nobody on the Bills was making a concious effort to get out of bounds (even Thomas on the 3rd down run.)

With all that said I dont think Kelly gets all the blame, should Norwood have made that field goal. YES (laces in or out)

Thanks for the memories!

Care to expand on this myth?  Starting at the 10, one TO left, and Giants playing prevent and taking outside pass away, Kelly still manages to drive 60 yds, and loses at least 10 secs thanks to stupid officiating.

539963[/snapback]

I watched a special on ESPN when they broke down that last drive and pointed out many mistakes. I dont have a VCR player so I cant go back and watch the game now. I do recall the Bills got the ball back with 2:16 left in the game. 2:16 is plenty of time for a QB to get closer for a FG then the 37 yardline- especially when Thurman gets 10 yards everytime he touches the ball. Think about it- 2:16 to drive for a 47 yard FG :D

Damn them. DAMN THEM.

Yeah, that's what I said. The more time that passes, the more I am sickened by that team. What a waste of talent. All those big-name players and no rings. So many teams since have won it all with so much less....It leads me to believe that it will never be our time to crow.

539983[/snapback]

Joe, you really need a pick me up: click here

:D

Having been at the game I believe the original post is 100% accurate. Marv Levy has much to carry the blame. He let Kelly run the No-huddle uncontrolled. Marv should have insisted that Kelly call running plays but Kelly wanted to be the star. Thurman was great.

there's infinite reasons to blame norwood for the loss and there's an infinite number of other reasons. the fact is we lost the game... whether it was defensive execution, offensive playcalling, outside factors, or special teams, we lost. Personally, i don't blame norwood... it was a 50 yarder on crappy grass. yes, he's a kicker and he should make any kick that the coaches put him out to make, but he should have never been in a position to win the game by two points either. You can look at that as a lost opportunity or you can look at it as i do: as the perfect setup for the greatest super bowl celebration ever when we finally do win.

Jim Kelly shares a large part of the blame.  Anyone want to explain to me why it takes 2:16 to drive down to set up for a long 47 yard FG-with Thurman Thomas gaining 10 yards everytime he touches the ball?  Anyone?  Bueller?

541082[/snapback]

Bueller?

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Jim Kelly shares a large part of the blame.  Anyone want to explain to me why it takes 2:16 to drive down to set up for a long 47 yard FG-with Thurman Thomas gaining 10 yards everytime he touches the ball?  Anyone?  Bueller?

541082[/snapback]

?

GG asked me to substantiate- riddle me this GG