[OT] Your Home ?

Repulsif

I read some posts in the topic "lost hearts in chicago" and i wanted to do this topic.

Because it made me think :

4 months ago, i lived in paris in a 22 squared meters apartment outside paris i paid 620 euros per month, too much people in the streets, way too much in the subway, you can't drive in there, you can't park your car -- not possible in a span of 30 minutes --, everything is too much expensive, people are agressive, no classy, and sad, it rains about 300 days a year, pollution...

it took me at least 45 minutes to make a home/job travel in bad conditions via the subway (don't even think of it by car), travel of 4 kilometers.

1 year ago i lived in another street in paris, in the 18eme arrondissement, in an apartment of 60 squared meters in a very ugly street, for the price of 920 euros / month (rent).

no need to say i was'nt happy there. i think the only 'positive' thing of this town is that you can have sex easily with a lot of different people.

:huh:

i decided in june to quit this life, i had enough with this life, the major problem here in france is that the major job place is paris and there is no where else.

I got lucky i found a new job in the french riviera, between monaco/monte carlo and st tropez and nice for those who know a little france.

It was hard, but i found a house (une villa) of 95 squared meters to rent for the price of 1050 euros, it takes me 15 minutes to go to my job, no traffic, sun is here, way less people, the see is near, the mountains are near, no pollution, life is cheaper, life is better... i can live a real life here.

so i just don't understand people who says me "i prefer paris, i don't want to leave paris"... what's their motivation, what's the plus there ???

i just don't get it, it just doesn't make sense for me.

so, generally, do you live in a big city?, are you happy there? what's your motivations to stay there ?

I like east tennessee. Blue Ridge Mountains, breathtaking beauty, fantastic TVA lakes for boating and fishing, Great Medical Center, Skiing in the mountains half an hour away, but 41 degrees and perfect golf weather today. Live in the town where Davy Crocket grew up, Andrew Jackson and Sam Houston practiced law and a few miles from where President Andrew Johnson was a tailor. 6 hours from the ocean and 90 minutes from Knoxville. No income tax. Very little crime, housing cheap, nice quality of life. Almost heaven...

Last year I lived in Kyiv Ukraine. Great metro system, great and inexpensive opera two blocks away. A revolution (I don't think they do that every year). Lots of history.

i decided in june to quit this life, i had enough with this life, the major problem here in france is that the major job place is paris and there is no where else.

538820[/snapback]

I have a few friends and family members that work at Michelin headquarters in Clermont-Ferrand in the center of France. Maybe that area does not have the other activities that interest you.

I have a few friends and family members that work at Michelin headquarters in Clermont-Ferrand in the center of France. Maybe that area does not have the other activities that interest you.

538968[/snapback]

I know a little this region, my actual girlfriend came from there.

what i meant is that it's very hard to find a job outside the paris area.

Of course, there are local industries (as for exemple Michelin at Clermont Ferrand, or Peugeot in the east of France), but they don't offer job, at all. :huh:

I lived in the District , and I mean in the District, for close to 13 years. City centers are awesome places to live. You talk about traffic, but the subway system in Paris is great, why drive? The ability to live your life without getting in the car to do everything, the cultural attractions, the sence of nieghborhood is all awesome in the city.

Now, the subarbs just suck around a large Metro area, and I agree 100% with your feelings. We moved to the DC burbs when the babies started coming. After a few years moved to the Burbs of Richmond va, a much smaller area without the attendant problems of crowds everywhere, traffic, high costs of living etc.

Big diffreance between Eurpoe and the US however is all of our suburbs are virtually identical now. One would be hard pressed to tell the differance between burbs in Chicago, DC, Iowa City, Salt Lake City, LA etc.......

My gut tells your beef is not because you lived IN Paris, but AROUND Paris.

I live in Rochester NY. I like it a lot but am not enthralled with it.

I absolutely love all that NY State has but I hate living in NY State.

If my wife wasn't so close to her family, we would be moving to the northern part of North Carolina.

(or Eastern Tenn., where i could be close to Tennyboy!)

I read some posts in the topic "lost hearts in chicago" and i wanted to do this topic.

Because it made me think :

4 months ago, i lived in paris in a 22 squared meters apartment outside paris i paid 620 euros per month, too much people in the streets, way too much in the subway, you can't drive in there, you can't park your car -- not possible in a span of 30 minutes --, everything is too much expensive, people are agressive, no classy, and sad, it rains about 300 days a year, pollution...

it took me at least 45 minutes to make a home/job travel in bad conditions via the subway (don't even think of it by car), travel of 4 kilometers.

1 year ago i lived in another street in paris, in the 18eme arrondissement, in an apartment of 60 squared meters in a very ugly street, for the price of 920 euros / month (rent).

no need to say i was'nt happy there. i think the only 'positive' thing of this town is that you can have sex easily with a lot of different people.

B-)

I got lucky i found a new job in the french riviera, between monaco/monte carlo and st tropez and nice for those who know a little france.

It was hard, but i found a house (une villa) of 95 squared meters to rent for the price of 1050 euros, it takes me 15 minutes to go to my job, no traffic, sun is here, way less people, the see is near, the mountains are near, no pollution, life is cheaper, life is better... i can live a real life here.

so i just don't understand people who says me "i prefer paris, i don't want to leave paris"... what's their motivation, what's the plus there ???

i just don't get it, it just doesn't make sense for me.

so, generally, do you live in a big city?, are you happy there? what's your motivations to stay there ?

538820[/snapback]

I'm guessing people just get attached to the environment even if it is a disgusting environment. I had the same type of conversation with a cab driver in manhattan. He said there's so much traffic, its heavily polluted but he would never leave. Some people prefer the big city while others prefer the country life. I have a friend who ever day says he wants to return to his country house in Italy and just relax while I wouldn't last 10 minutes in a place like that.

Hey, AiO thinks it's funny (even if she deleted her post because she's afraid of you)!

539242[/snapback]

Nope, not skeered. Just didn't want to be accused of padding my post count with gratuitous smiley faces. B-)

I could never live anywhere's else besides South Louisiana. I've thought about what life would be like elswhere, but the food, culture, and hospitality sucks me back in.

539750[/snapback]

And we're all glad you successfully rode out Katrina a few months back.

I like where I live...mostly in the summer. This winter's been a bee-yatch so far.

Mike

I like east tennessee.  Blue Ridge Mountains, breathtaking beauty, fantastic TVA lakes for boating and fishing, Great Medical Center, Skiing in the mountains half an hour away, but 41 degrees and perfect golf weather today. Live in the town where Davy Crocket grew up, Andrew Jackson and Sam Houston practiced law and a few miles from where President Andrew Johnson was a tailor. 6 hours from the ocean and 90 minutes from Knoxville.  No income tax. Very little crime, housing cheap, nice quality of life.  Almost heaven...

Last year I lived in Kyiv Ukraine. Great metro system, great and inexpensive opera two blocks away.  A revolution (I don't think they do that every year). Lots of history.

538877[/snapback]

That's an nice part of the country. Wife's family is from there. If I had to pick somewhere other than Buffalo/WNY, I'd go there.

I'm in Atlanta now. Take away the big city crap, it'd be a nice place to live. But since I can't do that, I guess the right answer is "it's work."

I live in Rochester NY.  I like it a lot but am not enthralled with it.

I absolutely love all that NY State has but I hate living in NY State.

If my wife wasn't so close to her family, we would be moving to the northern part of North Carolina.

(or Eastern Tenn., where i could be close to Tennyboy!)

539057[/snapback]

Come on down. The barbecue and the bluegrass are waiting!

Actually I spent many years in Rochester (worked at SUNY Brockport and lived in Hilton) Son played football, hockey and baseball for Aquinas. I used to run in the race at the Lilac Festival, and their was a great art show in the summer. Had a lot of involvement in the founding of the International Museum of Photography. I liked Rochester. Not Buffalo, of course, but a nice city.