Another HC Name To Consider

Carmel Corn

Interesting article in today's Indy Star.  I don't know if I've seen Tom Moore's name mentioned around here, but I think it is fair to say this guy has done a good job as the Colts Offensive Coordinator.  Lots of NFL experience, just not as an HC.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...446/1004/SPORTS

531773[/snapback]

Another good Assitant coach but without Head coaching experience....Plus

I would like to see what Moores record was before he had a Peyton Manning,

James and Harrsion on his offense.

531881[/snapback]

A Peyton Manning calling his own plays at the line, too. My understanding of Moore's game-day job is that it's pretty much saying "Good job, Peyton! Go get 'em, Peyton! Attaboy, Peyton!"

NO MORE! Please hire a coach with head coaching experience, at the NFL or Major 1-A level. We had our chance with the quality DC's or OC's, they are gone, you all know who they are, they are the ones winning in Cinncy, Carolina, Chicago and Notre Dame. We missed our oppportunites. Time to hire a proven experienced winner.

Problem with hiring a proven winner approach is that there are very few out there.

I have no problem letting a new GM hire with a proven track record hire a coach to his liking. Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, Don Shula, Bill Parcells, Vince Lombardi, etc etc were first time head coaches that did pretty good.

What is important is the competent GM who selects that coach not one impressed by the lists one brings to the interview process or the inspired by prospect of "raiding" his old team.

A good GM can identify a John Fox, Jim Mora, Jr., Lovie Smith or a Marvin Lewis. I honestly would rather have a young coach who is good than a retread.

531881[/snapback]

Is this good enough for you?

"He entered the NFL with Pittsburgh and worked 13 years (1977-89) with the Steelers. Moore coached receivers from 1977-82 before assuming the role of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach (1983-89). He helped lead the Steelers to victories in Super Bowl XIII (35-31 over Dallas) and Super Bowl XIV (31-19 over Rams). He moved to the Minnesota Vikings (1990-93), serving as assistant head coach/quarterbacks (1990), assistant head coach/offensive coordinator (1991) and receivers coach (1992-93). He then joined the Detroit Lions as quarterbacks coach in 1994 and was offensive coordinator from 1995-96. During that three-year span, Barry Sanders ran for nearly 5,000 yards (5.2 average). The 1995 Lions offense led the NFL in total offense (6,113 yards, 382.1 ypg.) and became the first team in NFL history to have two receivers post 100+ receptions (Herman Moore, 123-1,686, 14 TDs; Brett Perriman, 108-1,488, 9 TDs). Moore and Perriman’s 3,174 combined yards set an NFL record for the most seasonal receiving yards by a tandem. Moore moved to New Orleans for the 1997 season as running backs coach with the Saints. "

Scott Mitchell had a year where he threw for 4338 yards, 32 tds, and only 12 ints while Moore ran the offense.

The guy can coach offense.