John Clayton "Inside the Huddle"

Buftex

Clayton said pretty much what everyone has been saying, that the Bills (whoever is running the ship) will likely cut Eric Moulds, Sam Adams and Mike Williams this offseason. Depending on how you feel about Nate Clements, he had some good news. According to Clayton, the top salary for cornerbacks is expected to drop about 3 million next year, to about 5 million dollars. This might make Clements a more managable re-sign. From what I have heard (not from Clayton), the Bills are expected to be in decent salary cap shape this off-season, and should be able to make a run at an established starting O-line man, maybe two.

FWIW, I also heard that the Broncos, Jets, Redskins, Raiders, and Ravens are all projected to be about 40 million over the cap, so these teams will likely be gutted. I know, the Broncos are the only good team of the bunch, but you never know who might be released. How about the Bills trading their pending top 10 pick to the Ravens, for, say, Jonathan Ogden? I would just assume overpay one of the top 3 tackles in the leauge for five years, than a rookie offensive tackle for four years, with no guarantee that he can play.

No prob. Clements is likely to remain a Bill one way or the other if we want him (I think we do unless the market of available CB choices yields a better choice for us factoring in talent and price.

As the Bills have no other major resignings and ample salary cap room, if we choose we can tag Clements and resign him for the average of the top 5 CB cap hits. The news that the top 5 CB hits are going down not only makes Clements more affordable to sign but lowers the cost of tagging him.

Clements will be richly rewarded either way so him throwing a hissy fit if he is tagged is not reasonable (not that players are always reasonable but his ability to be silly is lowered after he has had an up and down season) so the Bills can work outa deal with him long term if we have the two to tango or we can simoly tag him unless the gutting of teams makes the market a better choice for us.

Ogden has had an awful year. Reports out of Baltimore say he has looked like a shell of his old self. He simply got destroyed by Freeney earlier in the year and looked terrible. No way do we trade that pick for Ogden.

Ogden has had an awful year.  Reports out of Baltimore say he has looked like a shell of his old self.  He simply got destroyed by Freeney earlier in the year and looked terrible.  No way do we trade that pick for Ogden.

531747[/snapback]

Hmm, I had not heard that, but I will take your word on it. Other than MNF games, I don't think I have seen any Ravens games at all this season...I hear that Freeny is a FA too! Fat chance Polian lets him get away....

Here is one 06 draft site addressing Baltimore's needs in the draft:

Offensive tackle

Offensive tackle is likely to be a major need for the Ravens heading into the offseason. Right tackle Orlando Brown is almost a sure thing to retire, and even if he decides not to retire, which is highly unlikely, Brown would probably be cut anyway. Jonathan Ogden is not what he used to be. Ogden is still a very good tackle; however age and injuries are clearly beginning to catch up to him. While it seems unlikely, there have been rumors that Ogden could contemplate retirement following this season. Ogden is no longer the best tackle in the game, he has suffered a rash of nagging injuries recently and Ogden is also unhappy with team management for cutting his younger brother during training camp. Retirement for Ogden seems unlikely, but it is certainly something that Ozzie Newsome must keep in mind. Another more likely scenario for next season would be moving Ogden over to right tackle to replace Orlando Brown. Ogden may not like the move, but it would probably benefit both he and the team more. If this occurred, last year’s 2nd round draft pick Adam Terry could take over for Ogden at left tackle. Either way, the Baltimore Ravens without a doubt need to add a young talented tackle. In such a strong draft class, there are plenty of opportunities available in the 1st and 2nd rounds such as D’Brickshaw Ferguson out of Virginia, Jonathan Scott from Texas, Joe Thomas from Wisconsin, or Darren Colledge from Boise State. Whomever the Ravens decide to select could either start immediately or wait a season or two before taking a starting spot.

I hope we get D'brickshaw

Here is one 06 draft site addressing Baltimore's needs in the draft:

Offensive tackle

Offensive tackle is likely to be a major need for the Ravens heading into the offseason. Right tackle Orlando Brown is almost a sure thing to retire, and even if he decides not to retire, which is highly unlikely, Brown would probably be cut anyway. Jonathan Ogden is not what he used to be. Ogden is still a very good tackle; however age and injuries are clearly beginning to catch up to him. While it seems unlikely, there have been rumors that Ogden could contemplate retirement following this season. Ogden is no longer the best tackle in the game, he has suffered a rash of nagging injuries recently and Ogden is also unhappy with team management for cutting his younger brother during training camp. Retirement for Ogden seems unlikely, but it is certainly something that Ozzie Newsome must keep in mind. Another more likely scenario for next season would be moving Ogden over to right tackle to replace Orlando Brown. Ogden may not like the move, but it would probably benefit both he and the team more. If this occurred, last year’s 2nd round draft pick Adam Terry could take over for Ogden at left tackle. Either way, the Baltimore Ravens without a doubt need to add a young talented tackle. In such a strong draft class, there are plenty of opportunities available in the 1st and 2nd rounds such as D’Brickshaw Ferguson out of Virginia, Jonathan Scott from Texas, Joe Thomas from Wisconsin, or Darren Colledge from Boise State. Whomever the Ravens decide to select could either start immediately or wait a season or two before taking a starting spot.

I hope we get D'brickshaw

531751[/snapback]

Thanks for the info...just goes to show what the national "experts" know, the ones who couldn't possibly see every team, every week...somebody, just this past weekend, on something I was watching (I honestly can't remember- I think it was Madden talking about the Seahawks) said that Walter Jones had moved ahead of the pack as the best LT in the NFL, bumping Orlando Pace and Jonathan Ogden each down a spot...

According to Clayton, the top salary for cornerbacks is expected to drop about 3 million next year, to about 5 million dollars.  This might make Clements a more managable re-sign.

531743[/snapback]

If that is true, then he stays. The Bills, at worst, could franchise him if they don't get a deal done on time.

Amazing that some teams still screw up the cap which results in a mass purging. I thought The Titans may be the last team I would see doing that, believing the GM's had enough time now to understand the cap and properly balance the roster. Apparently, there are still teams which gamble and vastly overpay. :doh:

I will be interested to see if any cap casualties are players we could use.

If that is true, then he stays. The Bills, at worst, could franchise him if they don't get a deal done on time.

Amazing that some teams still screw up the cap which results in a mass purging. I thought The Titans may be the last team I would see doing that, believing the GM's had enough time now to understand the cap and properly balance the roster. Apparently, there are still teams which gamble and vastly overpay.  :doh: 

I will be interested to see if any cap casualties are players we could use.

531761[/snapback]

Outside of Ogden and R. Lewis where the Hell is their $ going? I think it's time to google. Be back shortly.

FWIW, I also heard that the Broncos, Jets, Redskins, Raiders, and Ravens are all projected to be about 40 million over the cap, so these teams will likely be gutted.  I know, the Broncos are the only good team of the bunch, but you never know who might be released.  How about the Bills trading their pending top 10 pick to the Ravens, for, say, Jonathan Ogden?  I would just assume overpay one of the top 3 tackles in the leauge for five  years, than a rookie offensive tackle for four years, with no guarantee that he can play.

531743[/snapback]

Supposedly, Gerard Warren has started to play like a top-5 pick for Denver and is a free agent. He's one to watch.

Keeping him would take up a lot of cap room when this team really needs to adress both defensive, and offensive line.

We also just shelled out a decent amount of money to McGee.

531830[/snapback]

You're forgetting how hard it will be to attract players to Buffalo this offseason. We'll have the cap room to sign Bentley and Hutch, but will they come?

Clayton said pretty much what everyone has been saying, that the Bills (whoever is running the ship) will likely cut Eric Moulds, Sam Adams and Mike Williams this offseason.  Depending on how you feel about Nate Clements, he had some good news.  According to Clayton, the top salary for cornerbacks is expected to drop about 3 million next year, to about 5 million dollars.  This might make Clements a more managable re-sign.  From what I have heard (not from Clayton), the Bills are expected to be in decent salary cap shape this off-season, and should be able to make a run at an established starting O-line man, maybe two. 

FWIW, I also heard that the Broncos, Jets, Redskins, Raiders, and Ravens are all projected to be about 40 million over the cap, so these teams will likely be gutted.  I know, the Broncos are the only good team of the bunch, but you never know who might be released.  How about the Bills trading their pending top 10 pick to the Ravens, for, say, Jonathan Ogden?  I would just assume overpay one of the top 3 tackles in the leauge for five  years, than a rookie offensive tackle for four years, with no guarantee that he can play.

531743[/snapback]

The Jets are $40M over the cap next year...and 3-10 THIS year? Ouch... :doh::lol:

Ogden has had an awful year.  Reports out of Baltimore say he has looked like a shell of his old self.  He simply got destroyed by Freeney earlier in the year and looked terrible.  No way do we trade that pick for Ogden.

531747[/snapback]

He even got destroyed by Schoebel last year......Ogden is past his prime...

Keeping him would take up a lot of cap room when this team really needs to adress both defensive, and offensive line.

We also just shelled out a decent amount of money to McGee.

531830[/snapback]

What is wrong in keeping your own players back...That is what the good

teams do...You have to re-sign your emerging or already stars.....not to

the overhill players...

Supposedly, Gerard Warren has started to play like a top-5 pick for Denver and is a free agent.  He's one to watch.

You're forgetting how hard it will be to attract players to Buffalo this offseason.  We'll have the cap room to sign Bentley and Hutch, but will they come?

531862[/snapback]

Anyone will come if they throw the right money.....Eventually players want

the money and the security that comes with it....

The Jets are $40M over the cap next year...and 3-10 THIS year?  Ouch...  :doh:  :lol:

531865[/snapback]

Of course, most NFL teams who play almost the entire year with their 3rd, 4th, and occasionally even the 5th-string QB under center would probably produce similar results.

Just imagine the Colts with Jim Sorgi under center instead of Peyton Manning (Jim Sorgi is the guy who was Brooks Bollinger's backup at Wisconsin.)

JDG

I'd take

Warren/Grady in FA at DT (resigning edwards will be good too)

Draft the best DT we can (a couple this year who should be pretty good)

Sign AT LEAST one of Hutch, Bently

Draft AT LEAST 1 LT and 2 other linemen in the draft

Keep williams and renegotiate a bit, or just cut and resign his ass.

if we have Gandy, Peters, and a Draftee or two we will have LT solved for a while.

Hutch or Bently will (or both!) will solidify our middle. Preston or a draft pick will work out at RG.

Williams is still a solid run blocker and OK enough in pass pro to hang on to (obviously he was picked too high and at too high a price).

we could turn both our lines around in a big way this offseason.

Nate Clements? I wouldn't make any effort to resign him at all. He is going to ask for a $20 million signing bonus regardless of what his actual salary is (in the $5 million per season range). No thanks. He is not worth it. Anyone see him play this year? He isn't even the best CB on the Bills. I'd probably franchise tag him though and trade him to some desperate team for a 1st round pick.

Anyone will come if they throw the right money.....Eventually players want

the money and the security that comes with it....

531874[/snapback]

I hope you're right, but don't underestimate players' desire to win. Buffalo could have a really tough time attracting people. They're as bad as Arizona, and the city itself isn't much of a draw. How many players do you remember signing with Cincy?

Of course, most NFL teams who play almost the entire year with their 3rd, 4th, and occasionally even the 5th-string QB under center would probably produce similar results.

Just imagine the Colts with Jim Sorgi under center instead of Peyton Manning (Jim Sorgi is the guy who was Brooks Bollinger's backup at Wisconsin.)

JDG

531879[/snapback]

Sorgi did start for a year.