London Fletcher

C.Biscuit97

With all the negativity about the Bills these days, why isn't Fletcher getting more praise? It was easy to say the last couple years he was playing behind very good DTs. But this year, they are absolutely terrible. He is arguably having his best season and should be a Pro Bowler. He's an undrafted guy from a D3 school who gives his all every game and is always stand up. He is what a Buffalo Bill should be. Sorry for all the butt-kissing but if we had players with Fletcher's attitude, we would be in a lot better shape.

Guest BackInDaDay
With all the negativity about the Bills these days, why isn't Fletcher getting more praise?  It was easy to say the last couple years he was playing behind very good DTs.  But this year, they are absolutely terrible.  He is arguably having his best season and should be a Pro Bowler.  He's an undrafted guy from a D3 school who gives his all every game and is always stand up.  He is what a Buffalo Bill should be.  Sorry for all the butt-kissing but if we had players with Fletcher's attitude, we would be in a lot better shape.

530048[/snapback]

He has a hard time getting off blocks and makes a lot of tackles 10 yards down field.

Also, he's not very good in coverage. He gets a pick once in a while and he's not the only LB who's a step or two slower than the RB he's covering, but we give up way too many completions to 'underneath' routes to slot men in the middle of the field. It may not always be Fletcher's responsibilty, but there it is.

As far as playing ProBowl quality football, I don't see it.

He was the best defender on a bad Ram's D. He may have come full cycle.

Running down plays after the damage is done doesn't impress me.

He has a hard time getting off blocks and makes a lot of tackles 10 yards down field. 

Also, he's not very good in coverage.  He gets a pick once in a while and he's not the only LB who's a step or two slower than the RB he's covering, but we give up way too many completions to 'underneath' routes to slot men in the middle of the field.  It may not always be Fletcher's responsibilty, but there it is.

He was the best defender on a bad Ram's D.  He may have come full cycle.

530073[/snapback]

I see your points. However, I take into account that the linemen are getting on our backers so quickly. Plus, I also believe he has to make up for Posey and the improving but young Crowell.

Guest BackInDaDay
I see your points.  However, I take into account that the linemen are getting on our backers so quickly.  Plus, I also believe he has to make up for Posey and the improving but young Crowell.

530092[/snapback]

No one plays in a vacuum, and without Fletcher things would be even worse. :doh:

I see your points.  However, I take into account that the linemen are getting on our backers so quickly.  Plus, I also believe he has to make up for Posey and the improving but young Crowell.

530092[/snapback]

FWIW, the local beat writers here in Cincy always held a good opinion of Fletcher.

Guest BackInDaDay
FWIW, the local beat writers here in Cincy always held a good opinion of Fletcher.

530113[/snapback]

Because he's a good guy, prepares well, plays well?

All of the above?

Sorry fellas, I just don't see him making the kind of difference on the field that warrants praise. He's doing his best, which is a whole lot better than some of his teammates, but that's more of an indictment of their play.

All of the above?

Sorry fellas, I just don't see him making the kind of difference on the field that warrants praise.  He's doing his best, which is a whole lot better than some of his teammates, but that's more of an indictment of their play.

530124[/snapback]

It's simply proof that the guy will not give in, take a play off, stand and watch as a ball carrier goes by him. He may not be the fastest LB in the NFL but I'm proud to have him on my team.

With all the negativity about the Bills these days, why isn't Fletcher getting more praise?  It was easy to say the last couple years he was playing behind very good DTs.  But this year, they are absolutely terrible.  He is arguably having his best season and should be a Pro Bowler.  He's an undrafted guy from a D3 school who gives his all every game and is always stand up.  He is what a Buffalo Bill should be.  Sorry for all the butt-kissing but if we had players with Fletcher's attitude, we would be in a lot better shape.

530048[/snapback]

London has been playing very well this year and I agree with your post. However, with the ongoing circumstances with this team, it's easy to overlook London's hard work.

you put a stud infront and beside him and he can make nice plays.

you take that away and he ain't much.

he plays better with good teammates, but doesn't really make his teammates better (in play).

I like him as a guy for the team tho, let's get spikes and crowell in here and draft a kick ass couple linemen and get this D back in top 10 and he will be fine.

not a probowl guy tho

All of the above?

Sorry fellas, I just don't see him making the kind of difference on the field that warrants praise.  He's doing his best, which is a whole lot better than some of his teammates, but that's more of an indictment of their play.

530124[/snapback]

Yes.

I recently responded to a fellow who claimed that KC's rb Johnson was "far" better than Corey Dillon.

The local writers surely don't study other team's players. They would be out of a job if they spent a lot of time doing that, save the next opponent. I know that Fletcher has his flaws, but like the beat writers here, I appreciate his moxie. Even with his warts, he is more of a plus than a minus. I've no way to know, but I also think he does what he can do to inspire others on the defense, on the field and in the clubhouse.

530048[/snapback]

I've heard Belichick single out Fletcher for praise on three separate occasions over the last two years. Admires his productivity, versatility, and durability.

you put a stud infront and beside him and he can make nice plays.

you take that away and he ain't much.

he plays better with good teammates, but doesn't really make his teammates better (in play).

I like him as a guy for the team tho, let's get spikes and crowell in here and draft a kick ass couple linemen and get this D back in top 10 and he will be fine.

not a probowl guy tho

530157[/snapback]

you could say this about any lb in the nfl. Most lb's once engaged with 300+ lb guards don't break blocks easily. Linebackers and secondary need a good dline like a qb and rb need a good oline. If your trenches aint sh-- your back 7 aint sh--.

With that said London Fletcher and Angelo Crowell imo have been the bright spots on this defense. They hustle and make plays, improve the trenches and they'll get better. Urlacher didn't look so good in 2002 when the bears lost ted washington, now they have Tommie Harris and he's an allstar again. How's Ray Lewis looked? Fletcher is a top 5 mlb but like I said you're only as good as the big bodies infront of you.

530048[/snapback]

Fletcher is a good player, but not All Pro. Like it or not, it's true that the guy does not make a lot of plays at the LOS like the best MLB's do. It's not that he can't get off blocks, it's that he gets DESTROYED by pulling lineman.

There was a play yesterday where Brady threw a screen pass and Fletcher got blocked backwards TWENTY YARDS. I've never seen a LB dominated like that, he looked like a 5 year old trying to get around his dad. After being pushed back 3 times, he finally turned tail completely and ran the other way and let the runner come to him, in essence conceding 7-8 additional yards. Heinous.

You gotta laugh when you hear people calling Fletcher "average". The guy is having a tremendous year- and that's despite having that hamstring injury earlier in the season.

All this "tackling 10 yards down the field" is way more about O lines plowing through our D line.

Fletcher is definitely playing smarter than the last couple years (remember the "kicking the football?"), chasing guys side to side and downfield, hitting the CRAP out of people, and playing with a ton of heart-while posting great tackle numbers. All those that are dumping on him- come on-this guy has been doing it consistently for several years! Most tackles in the NFL over the last 6 or 7 years...how does a so called "slow" "undersized" guy do that year in and out?

You can bet the Bills will be pushing him for the Pro Bowl...especially since there's no Spikes to compete with.

Also, he's not very good in coverage.  He gets a pick once in a while and he's not the only LB who's a step or two slower than the RB he's covering, but we give up way too many completions to 'underneath' routes to slot men in the middle of the field.  It may not always be Fletcher's responsibilty, but there it is.

He was the best defender on a bad Ram's D.  He may have come full cycle.

530073[/snapback]

Can you say Zach Thomas?