Mularkey's accomplishments

Gambler

Winning record as a rookie head coach.

No nonsense approach with his players (contrary to what some here assume).

Was able to maintain his philosophy after getting pressure from Ralph, held the belief of his players, and go on to an impressive winning streak.

Toys with the media with the best of them (I really enjoy how angry he makes some of the local reporters).

Does not throw his players or coaches under the bus, even after multiple prods from media pitchforks.

Has far superior game time management and replay challenge skills than GW had.

What I don't like is the obsession with gadget plays and the unwillingness to run a play that may be (oh no!) expected by the defense (ie. 1st and goal at the 3 up 23 to 3 you run 3 times and be happy to kick the FG if you fail).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48-80 is the combined record of the 9 Teams MM's Bills have beat at Home...

Not good enough...

But look at what he's had to work with. Even great coaches like Bill Parcells have had some rough years when dealing with questionable talent. Bill Belichick's first season in New England was (I believe) a losing one. Those two men were also their own general managers, and in time could solve their teams' personnel issues.

Look at the issues Mularkey has had to deal with. For one, the children's book. This book was about a race between a football player and a tortoise. The story goes something like this: the tortoise, confident of his superior speed, gets off to a late start, and generally goofs around during the race. The football player--let's call him Bledsoe--proceeds at a slow and steady pace. The tortoise sees that Bledsoe has taken a large lead, and is close to winning the race. In a dramatic finish, the tortoise eats ground like it's watermellon, and crosses the finish line a shell's length in front of Bledsoe.

But the problem with Bledsoe wasn't merely that he was slow. It was that he took too long to read the field. In the absence of very good protection, Bledsoe was a sack waiting to happen. So you'd need a very good offensive line for Bledsoe to succeed. Yet last year, the starting left guard was some guy who couldn't even make Baltimore's final roster. This year, the guy we have there is even worse. Nor are other offensive line positions awe-inspiring displays of football prowess. I felt Mularkey did the best he could with the cards he'd been dealt. But let's face it; those cards weren't very good.

Nor was Mularkey given the tools to solve Buffalo's defensive problems. You can't switch schemes without switching players. Given Buffalo's lack of talent on offense, clearly the plan was to emphasize that side of the ball. So because Buffalo had to keep the defensive players the same--at least for a year or two--it had to keep more or less the same defensive scheme. That meant Mularkey's choices for defensive coordinator were effectively LeBeau and Gray. Mularkey's first choice was LeBeau, who has done well in Pittsburgh.

Other MM player-management accomplishments:

- Has converted Mike Williams from a decent RT to a sideline observer who has no clue what position he's supposed to play.

- Told Sam Adams "we have a better chance to win without you" and benches him.

MM's most significant contribution:

- Baffling play calling and amateur people skills are going to solidify in RW's mind that TD has swung and missed badly 2X with his head coaching selections. MM will ultimately prove to be the demise of the Donahoe era in Buffalo.

He's done a great job of turning the Bills offense into one predicated on the power running attack.  This, of course, helps our young QB immensely.

525456[/snapback]

While I am not great fan of MM I believe it falls on Donahoe. If the Gm's philosophy was to play smashmouth in your face footbal focussing on a runnung game, wouldn't it have made sense to acquire the lineman necessary for this type of offence?

While I am not great fan of MM I believe it falls on Donahoe. If the Gm's philosophy was to play smashmouth in your face footbal focussing on a runnung game, wouldn't it have made sense to acquire the lineman necessary for this type of offence?

526030[/snapback]

Unless the coaches told the GM they had what they needed. Ever think that the coach said I need a Randal El type, hence we got Parrish? Maybe the GM was listening to his coaches.

Remember Mcnally got fired from the Giants for making the claim that he can turn sh-- into gold with olinemen. Now that he is gone, and they are getting horses upfront, instead of the "Great Mcnally" selling liquid elixir.

Chophouse

525920[/snapback]

Thanks, abifo...I missed that thread. That was damn funny (Dump and Run? Leaving a sack of potatoes at Mama Leones?) :angry:

BUT...My very important question remains unanswered: Did he wash his hands? <_<

The answer to that question will speak volumes about the man they call Coach Mike Mularkey.

>Has assembled a 6 game win streak with Drew Bledsoe as his QB. This is a feat unequaled in NFL history although such luminaries as Bill Parcells and Bill Belichik have had the opportunity.

525718[/snapback]

almost, but not quite. parcells' pats with DB at the helm won their last 7 regular season games of 1994 after starting out 3-6.

Outside of his first year in Pittsburgh(Same goes for Buffalo), the guy was a fuggin moron in terms of play calling.

The issues he had there, he is having here.

You recall the Jets-Steelers game in 2003, snow covered game, Instead of opting to run the ball against a weak Jets defense in bad conditions, Steelers throw down field all game, and of course lose.

Steelers fans wanted him gone after the 2003 season, He was criticized greatly for his overusage of trick plays there, they were fed up, ol whitey came to the rescue.

525817[/snapback]

um, the steelers went 10-5-1 in 2002 with tommy freaking maddox at qb. doing that is hall of fame worthy, in my book. they were 4th overall in yards that year after finishing 3rd overall in 2001 (the year they went 13-3).

He only called their offense for two years. The first year they were in the Top5 with Kordell; the 2nd year they fell to the middle of the pack with Tommy Maddox.

525829[/snapback]

you're forgetting about 2002. in 2001, they were 3rd overall with him as OC, and 4th overall in 2002. they fell to the middle of the pack in 2003.