The official bring back MARV thread

bills_fan

As an organization, we stink. We have no class and have shown no respect for players or fans from Donahoe (you jackass) on down. After the expected purge of TD, MM, and the rest of the sorry lot, we have a lot of work to do.

We must restore our credibility around around the league. The best way to do that is with a very well respected, classy coach, whom players and fans respond to.

Yes, this is the official bring back Marv Levy thread. I know the negatives and that he will need strong coordinators etc. But this is about restoring the good name of our organization. I can't think of any other coach who could do that.

Marv, we need you, please come back.

Seriously I would actually consider it now. I know I didnt agree with this in the past but anything to bring Bills football back is cool with me. I know the game isnt the same. But his presence demands attention and respect. He could go a long way with rebuilding this team. If Vermeil can still coach....so can Marv.

Seriously I would actually consider it now. I know I didnt agree with this in the past but anything to bring Bills football back is cool with me. I know the game isnt the same. But his presence demands attention and respect. He could go a long way with rebuilding this team. If Vermeil can still coach....so can Marv.

523520[/snapback]

I'm in - for him as the team president...Overall big boss...

Modrak - Talent management

Brandon - Business management

There's also Ron Wolf and Bob Ferguson (ex-Bills Player Personnel Mgr, Az GM, Seattle GM)

No, don't bring back Marv.

I love the guy, but the Bills began their decline, in my opinion, when after three Super Bowl losses Wilson fired Bill Polian instead of firing Marv.

Everything that has happened since then has derived ultimately from that mistake. Another coach might have gotten a Super Bowl win out of the Kelly-Reed-Thomas--Smith team (or maybe not), but Polian is the guy whos absence has led gradually to where we are today.

At the risk of being flogged:

Don't let the longing for glory days pull the wool over your eyes. Marv is our franchise's greatest coach, and deserves his Hall of Fame honor. But any coach of the Buffalo Bills from 1988-1996 would be considered their best ever. Anybody would have won with those teams so long as Ted Marchibroda was the OC and nurtured Kelly into the no-huddle QB he became.

Marv was outcoached in every Super Bowl. It was not even close. We never got to see Marv coach when he didn't have the most talented team. Is Phil Jackson still a genius even though his Lakers are a last place team?? MJ and Shaq have a way of making a man look smarter, and so do Thurman, Kelly, Reed, Hull, Bennett, Talley, Bruce and Tasker.

I love Marv, but I'll never understand why he couldn't utilize two weeks to get the team to play the way they had all season in the Big One. Halftime adjustments??? Pfffawww. Never.

Marv did bring resiliency to the organization, and there's no way they rise up from the ashes of Super Bowl defeat 3 times to return to the Big Game without Marv. He deserves all the credit in the world for that. In fact, for the past 5 years, every losing SB team has had a losing record the next season and missed the playoffs ('01 Giants 7-9; '02 Rams 7-9; '03 Raiders 4-12; '04 Panthers 7-9; and now the Eagles are 5-7.)

Marv was a great coach of a great team, but I'm not sure what he would do for our current squad.

Is Phil Jackson still a genius even though his Lakers are a last place team?? 

523843[/snapback]

Well...yes. At least as far as the term "genius" goes in sports. Phil won BIG with two very different teams that did not win the prize once with their previous coaches. He will improve the Lakers, too, I predict...if Kobe listens to him. Phil is a top-flight basketball "manager". Head and shoulders above over-rated pretender Pat Riley, IMO.

Well...yes.  At least as far as the term "genius" goes in sports.  Phil won BIG with two very different teams that did not win the prize once with their previous coaches.  He will improve the Lakers, too, I predict...if Kobe listens to him.  Phil is a top-flight basketball "manager".  Head and shoulders above over-rated pretender Pat Riley, IMO.

523869[/snapback]

yeah- Phil is great at managing lightweights like Jordan and Shaq.

He should prove his greatness and coach a team with only average talent and no superstars.

Marv did bring resiliency to the organization, and there's no way they rise up from the ashes of Super Bowl defeat 3 times to return to the Big Game without Marv. He deserves all the credit in the world for that. In fact, for the past 5 years, every losing SB team has had a losing record the next season and missed the playoffs ('01 Giants 7-9; '02 Rams 7-9; '03 Raiders 4-12; '04 Panthers 7-9; and now the Eagles are 5-7.)

Marv was a great coach of a great team, but I'm not sure what he would do for our current squad.

Considering all of the blown 4th quarter leads the last couple of years, we could use some resiliency and backbone. I think Marv is an inspirational leader (like Vermiel) who would manage the personalities of the team and leave the X's and O's to the coordinators. Can you see Marv getting into the present situation with EM?

Bringing Marv in even for one game would be ridiculous since he stunk at the end of his tenure. And aged significantly since then.

Tell him to suit up, he's going in B-)

At least him and RW can ride out together that way!

yeah- Phil is great at managing lightweights like Jordan and Shaq.

He should prove his greatness and coach a team with only average talent and no superstars.

523980[/snapback]

Getting the big stars to play hard defense and team-ball may be the toughest management job in sports. Just look at the fact that those guys didn't win with the coaches who preceeded Phil, and the mess over the years in Philadelphia, Washington and New York.

It's true that Phil has specialized with very talented players and teams. Don Nelson was one of the best at taking mediocre talent a long way, IMO. But, he had little sense when it came to big men (centers) and had a hard time managing big ego talent.

Larry Brown has managed to bridge the gap between those two pretty well...but, in today's NBA nobody wins without big-time talent.