My choice to head the list of candidates for

OnTheRocks

Sean Payton

Dallas Cowboys Assistanct Head Coach

EDIT to add (Based on the assumption Donahoe will not be around to make the hire.)

Sean Payton, regarded as one of the NFL's bright young offensive coaches, was named Assistant Head Coach/Passing Game Coordinator this year after two years as Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks. This fall, he will oversee a passing game that has risen from 31st in the league prior to his arrival to 17th in 2003 and 15th in 2004 as the club managed 214 yards-per-game last season, up from 164 in 2002.

In his first two seasons, Payton guided two different quarterbacks to 3,000-yard passing seasons, including a 3,532 yard performance from Vinny Testaverde last season - the third highest single-season passing total in club history. Testaverde opened the season with back-to-back 300-yard passing days and added a club-record tying third 300-yard game later in the season.

On the receiving end of this improved passing game was Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten, who set club records for receptions (87) and receiving yards (980) by a tight end. Witten finished the year second in the NFL in receptions and receiving yards by a tight end. Newcomer Keyshawn Johnson delivered 70 catches for 981 yards, giving Dallas two players with over 900 receiving yards for the first time since 1985.

In Payton's first season with Dallas, Quincy Carter became the fifth quarterback in Cowboys history to pass for more than 3,000 yards and the first since Troy Aikman in 1997. He was also the first Dallas quarterback to direct the Cowboys to both a double digit victory total (10-6 record) and a playoff berth since

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. More untested Asst. Coaches.

Sign me up.  :)

Let's wait for Tenny to can Jeff Fisher.

522091[/snapback]

They just might do this. I heard on the radio (no, I cannot verify this) that Fisher is being paid 4.6 million this year to coach the Titans, and that the owner isn't loving it.

The thing is, IF they can Fisher, I am thinking that the Bills would have to at least match this. You have been following Ralph longer than me. Is there ANY chance of Ralph forking over this much cash?

To strong willed to work for TD. Let's hope TD isn't here for the HC process.

522101[/snapback]

this was originally posted based on the the idea the TD would be gone as well.

sorry i didn't include that.

(FIXED)

They just might do this. I heard on the radio (no, I cannot verify this) that Fisher is being paid 4.6 million this year to coach the Titans, and that the owner isn't loving it.

The thing is, IF they can Fisher, I am thinking that the Bills would have to at least match this. You have been following Ralph longer than me. Is there ANY chance of Ralph forking over this much cash?

522098[/snapback]

Good point.

Ralph usually buys his Coaches at the Goodwill Thrift store.

I like SP also but another unproven HC? I dont see it happening

522090[/snapback]

The problem is that any HC with NFL HC experience that is available is also a proven failure.

O.k., sure there is Bill Belichick - but there's also Marty Mornhinweg, Dick Jauron, Vince Tobin, etc., etc.

JDG

Sean Payton

Dallas Cowboys Assistanct Head Coach

EDIT to add (Based on the assumption Donahoe will not be around to make the hire.)

522089[/snapback]

Please, no more of these inexperienced jokers. What he did was easy when he went from the quarterbacks he had last year to Bledsoe, the media wants to believe it was the magic of this coach when it really was a simple personnel upgrade. I believe the sales pitch on Mulurkey was that he brought Kordell Stewert back to life, now look what we have. The only assistant worth rolling the dice on is Kubeck in Denver.