Season likely comes down to 1/1 vs Jets.

In 2001 there were really only two impact players in the draft -- QB David Carr and DE Julius Peppers -- and if it weren't for a late season victory over Carolina and a another over the Jets we would've had a shot at Peppers.

Could you imagine if we would've built this team around Peppers on the DL vs Williams on the OL? Then again we probably would've drafted Harrington with our luck.

As it stands the Bills have the 7th overall pick but no worse than 12th (6 teams tied with 4 wins) but the good news is that 1-11 Houston has games left against a 2 win team (@SF) and a 3 win team (@HOU) and the 2-10 49ers have to play Houston. Green Bay could win a game with Detroit and maybe even Baltimore to finish with 4 wins.

The two 3 win teams above us look to have only New Orleans "losing out" as I think Tennessee pulls out a W vs. Houston at home giving them 4 wins.

That makes our game against the 2-10 Jets a must lose game and could mean the difference in us finally getting over the hump or striving to just reach .500 next year. I'll be watching the Jets games the rest of the year with a rosary in my hand in the hope that they can get a win against Oakland or at Miami which isn't impossible. If that happens we could end up with the 5th through 7th pick in the upcoming draft.

As it stands today (With chances for victories in bold) --

1. Houston 1-11 | @TEN/AZ/JAC/@SF

2. Green Bay 2-10 | DET/@BAL/CHI/SEA

3. San Francisco 2-10 | @SEA/@JAC/@STL/HOU

4. New York Jets 2-10 | OAK/@MIA/NE/BUF

5. New Orleans 3-9 | @ATL/CAR/DET/@TB

6. Tennessee 3-9 | HOU/SEA/@MIA/@JAC

7. Buffalo 4-8 | NE/DEN/@CIN/@NYJ

8. Five teams 4-8

While it sucks to now be playing for draft position its the reality that is starting an inexperienced AB behind a swiss cheese OL.

The bad news is RB Reggie Bush will not be available at our pick and neither will QB's Matt Leinart or Vince Young.

The good news is that we've got a very outside shot at OT D'Brickshaw Ferguson if GB wins a couple of games, the Jets win a couple, and NO and TEN win one more game. Even if we don't we'll likely have the following players to choose from provided we lose our remaining games:

DE Mario Williams 6-6 285 (Is he a LDE or DT?)

OT Marcus McNeil 6-8 322 (Could be our answer at LT or could be another Mike Williams)

DE Mathias Kiwanuka 6-6 260 (Can we afford to take this guy? Can you afford to pass him up?)

DT Rod Wright 6-5 305 (The answer to our run defense woes)

This draft is unbelievably deep at OL so we possibly could use our 1st rounder on one of those DL and jump up into the bottom of the 1st round to grab our OT if Ferguson and McNeil are off the board by our pick and Winston's stock continues to drop due to injury.

Either way if we lose out the rest of the way we'll have a REAL opportunity to shore up our OL and DL problems.

The Bills would be wise to trade down and pick up extra picks. This roster has more holes than swiss cheese, needing upgrades at multiple positions. Instead of 4 first day draft picks, give youself 5 and inject some talent into this roster. Try and find 1 OL and a Vet WR in FA. The Bills will be carrying a large dead cap hit by cutting Williams, Moulds and a few other vets. Lets be realistic about the roster upgrade.

Hopefully, a new front office will be calling the shots.

The Bills would be wise to trade down and pick up extra picks. This roster has more holes than swiss cheese, needing upgrades at multiple positions. Instead of 4 first day draft picks, give youself 5 and inject some talent into this roster. Try and find 1 OL and a Vet WR in FA. The Bills will be carrying a large dead cap hit by cutting Williams, Moulds and a few other vets. Lets be realistic about the roster upgrade.

Hopefully, a new front office will be calling the shots.

520581[/snapback]

But Mark, wont the losses of their salaries actually ADD space to the cap? I understand that there will be some dead money, but from what I can make of the situation, the gains are big, especially wrt Moulds.

Honestly, I don't care if they trade down, providing of course they are well compensated for doing so. I guess what I am trying to say is that I would rather that the Bills have 5 mil. in dead cap space for Moulds than for him to be in Buffalo and count 10.8 against the cap.

But Mark, wont the losses of their salaries actually ADD space to the cap? I understand that there will be some dead money, but from what I can make of the situation, the gains are big, especially wrt Moulds.

Honestly, I don't care if they trade down, providing of course they are well compensated for doing so. I guess what I am trying to say is that I would rather that the Bills have 5 mil. in dead cap space for Moulds than for him to be in Buffalo and count 10.8 against the cap.

520586[/snapback]

You are correct, Bill.

I'm guessing a signing of a top OG like Hutchinson or a C/G like Bentley would be between about 4 Mil a year with a signing bonus on top of that. Lets say you chop Williams, Moulds, Bennie Anderson, maybe Chris V. and a couple other vets. With remaining years on their contracts, they would all take away from the total available cap space for 2006. The actual numbers with bonuses would be something Clump could tell us but I can't see us having 15 Mil in spending $$ if we clean out 4-5 vets with years remaining on their deals.

I guess we need help from Mr. Clump but conservatively, we could still bid on a couple UFA's in what I see as a thin FA market. A couple FA's and wise Drafting with a new front office isn't impossible.

Always the optimist. Unfortunately, it seems to be long term more often than not. :(

Food for thought.

Are Young, Bush, Leinhart those one in a generation players, that you have to make moves to trade up to get?

I'm not saying I want one of those players on the Bills, but would Bush be better than Willis? Would Young or Leinhart be better than J.P.?

As for trading down, although I see the point and validity of it, it still drives me nuts! I think instead of stockpiling picks, Free Agency is still probably the most viable option of fixing what ails you.

You are correct, Bill.

I'm guessing a signing of a top OG like Hutchinson or a C/G like Bentley would be between about 4 Mil a year with a signing bonus on top of that. Lets say you chop Williams, Moulds, Bennie Anderson, maybe Chris V. and a couple other vets. With remaining years on their contracts, they would all take away from the total available cap space for 2006. The actual numbers with bonuses would be something Clump could tell us but I can't see us having 15 Mil in spending $$ if we clean out 4-5 vets with years remaining on their deals.

I guess we need help from Mr. Clump but conservatively, we could still bid on a couple UFA's in what I see as a thin FA market. A couple FA's and wise Drafting with a new front office isn't impossible.

Always the optimist. Unfortunately, it seems to be long term more often than not.  :(

520627[/snapback]

Thanks. I will never give up hope. As bleak as things do appear, it is actually possible for the Bills to have a good team next year.

Even if they are horrible, I will be standing right next to you at RWS having a few laughs with the crowd. :(

I think instead of stockpiling picks, Free Agency is still probably the most viable option of fixing what ails you.

520632[/snapback]

If there is quality product on the shelf, when you go shopping.

For what we need, I see slim pickings this off-season. Concentrate on Hutchinson and Bentley for a OL upgrade. DL looks horribly thin.

The Bills would be foolish to draft either Vince Young or Matt Leinart.

All hype. JP is proving he CAN play at this level and play well.

Why in the name of the baby Jesus would you want to draft a QB?

520644[/snapback]

Thanks Joe. I wanted to say as much but I didn't have the strength. Yeah, what this team needs is another qb or rb. :(:(;):P;)

520644[/snapback]

Because if you don't, Baby Jesus would cry! :(

Who in their right mind is going to want to play for Buffalo? The money probably won't be there, and a pack of disgruntled high draft choices holding out for trades is not going to perpetuate a feeling of wellness in the locker room.

Who in their right mind is going to want to play for Buffalo? The money probably won't be there, and a pack of disgruntled high draft choices holding out for trades is not going to perpetuate a feeling of wellness in the locker room.

520656[/snapback]

They wont hold out. They will be chomping at the bit to play alongside Roscoe Parrish. What are you thinking?

520644[/snapback]

The Bills don't draft the Qbs, but trade to a team that does want them.

Draft Bush, trade McGahee for another 1st rounder.

520643[/snapback]

I was thinking...McGahee and our first (say it'll end up around 10) for Bush, do you do it?

From what I've seen - admittedly not a lot - Ngata is the top DT and he's only expected to go around 10-12 right now. So, if we are set at going for DT, then a pick around 7 could result in us reaching. How deep is this draft considered to be? Will there be a bunch of teams looking to move up?

We need a Batman-like beacon to get Clump into the thread.

I was thinking...McGahee and our first (say it'll end up around 10) for Bush, do you do it?

From what I've seen - admittedly not a lot - Ngata is the top DT and he's only expected to go around 10-12 right now.  So, if we are set at going for DT, then a pick around 7 could result in us reaching.  How deep is this draft considered to be?  Will there be a bunch  of teams looking to move up?

We need a Batman-like beacon to get Clump into the thread.

520736[/snapback]

I don't care if they reach. They need to reach and spend this entire draft on OL and DL.

520736[/snapback]

Hell no! Trade a 1,000+ yard back and a top 10 pick for another RB?? WM is not the problem with this team...the OL & DL are. How exactly do you turn things around by giving up your high 1st rounder just to acquire another RB...one who hasn't proven anything at the pro level and who would be running behind an absolute joke of an OL. No thanks. Next question. :(