Is Bledsoe Better Than Rob Johnson???

MDH

I'm not going to say that stats tell the entire story, because obviously they don't. And even so, the stats I've collected aren't complete. But lets take a look at the stats RJ compiled in the 24 games in which he had significant playing time w/ the Bills to those Drew has compiled in his last 24 games played as a Bill. By "significant playing time" for Johnson, I mean games in which he had 15+ throwing attempts...not games he necessarily started or finished (I’m sure this type of game-by-game info exists on the web, but I couldn’t find it…perhaps somebody else can). Also not included are sacks taken...which I'd REALLY like to see a comparison if anybody knows where to find that info on a game-by-game basis. I’d also like to find out what the offenses averaged per game in these 24 games for each QB (not just total points scored, but what the O put up, not counting D or special teams scores).

Anyway:

Johnson

Record 8-16

Comp 404

Att 671

Comp% 60.2

yds 4818

TD 26

INT 16

Yards per attempt 7.2

684 rushing yards

Bledsoe

Record 9-15

Comp 424

Att 732

% 57.6

yds 4543

TD 19

INT 21

Yards per attempt 6.2

52 rushing yards

You know, if RJ is the end all be it of terrible QBing, DB can't be far behind in terms of production for the Bills. And yes, I fully realize that stats don't paint the entire picture and it's not all Drew's fault, yadda yadda yadda...but by the same token it wasn't all RJ's fault either...

In the past few years RJ has gotten lambasted on this board (deservedly so) as a pathetic excuse for a QB...it's gotten so bad that whenever anybody or anything sucks really badly that they = RJ. Perhaps we should change that to = DB.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, there are only two true knocks on RJ:

1) He's injury prone. Bledsoe is FAR better than him in this regard. However, depending our the starter quality of output & the next guy off the bench, this might not be so much of an advantage.

2) RJ has a 3 second mind in a 2 second world. Making quality decisions in 3 seconds is an asset in many professions; it works fine in chess & golf, but not football. Unfortunately, it seems that Bledsoe has a 4 second mind!

td's to int. jumps out at ya.  19 td's and 21 ints.  thats really kind of sad.

37355[/snapback]

The stat that stands out to me is yards per pass attempt. 7.2 to 6.2...that stat is perhaps the most important for a QB and for RJ to have such an obvious edge is almost laughable...

Bledsoe just has no accuracy on his shorter throws, which is problematic when the offense is predicated on those throws now...

What's amazing is how bad, talentwise, Wade Phillip's 8-8 Buffalo Bills were.  Johnson, Antowain Smith, Jeremy McDaniel as the 3rd WR.  Hicks, Nails, and Panos on the offensive line.  Man.  8-8.

37379[/snapback]

Excellent point. Don't forget the top 5 defense which consisted of Thomas Smith & Ken Irvan as starting CB's, John Holicek, Sam Rodgers, Gabe Northern at LB....

Maybe Wade wasn't such a bad coach.

I don't need to bad mouth Bledsoe. His play speaks for itself.

I venture to say he has made the most money and produced the least of any QB in NFL history.

so you're talking about the very best of Rob Johnson's career vs. the very worst of Bledsoe's career. makes sense.

37575[/snapback]

Where'd you get this from? I'm talking about the 24 games that RJ had significant playing time with us...the ONLY 24 games, that is, his entire time with the Bills vs. what Drew has done for us over his last 24 games...how is that the "best of RJ vs. the worst of DB?" exactly? Suddenly RJs NFL stint with the Bills = the best of Rob Johnson's career (whatever that means)?

Anyone who wants Rob Johnson back as the Buffalo Bills quarterback needs to really ask themselves if they know the game of football.

37649[/snapback]

Anybody who asks this question needs to ask themselves if they know how to read...

Alright MDH. If you think Rob Johnson should be starting instead of Drew Bledsoe then maybe you should ask yourself if you know the game of football.

BB- you need to learn reading comprehension. You seem to miss the point. Nowhere in MDH's post does he state RJ should be starting. He is merely pointing out that RJs stats with the Bills blow aways Drews stats with the Bills. Let me know if I can explain this to you further