Sabres BARELY Hold On

Alaska Darin

Is there a timetable on when he will return?  Is he on IR?

516074[/snapback]

Briere was day to day with abdominal pain. He skated saturday and was expected to play Sunday against the Caps but woke up in great pain. Team doctors believe it could be a sports hernia now, similar to the one that just ended McNabb's season. He's expected to travel to Montreal with the team to visit with an expert on abdominal injuries. It doesn't sound too promising though.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the 4th line with Gaustad and Roy as well....GW would have loved Gaustad of he was a hockey coach....has a high motor  :doh:

516067[/snapback]

Roy was playing with Max and Vanek tonight. Roy and Max both had great games and looked really good together. Vanek didn't look so hot....I almost feel that if we get JP and Briere back soon, Vanek should spend a week or two in Rochester, and we can keep Pominville up. He just isn't working hard enough and needs a wakeup call.

Everyone else is stepping up their game too, for the most part. Connelly had a bad game tonight, but has been playing well. Grier has been a great penalty killer, and although Hecht has been somewhat dissapointing, he played well tonight. Gaustad has been great all year, and I'm starting to like Mair a lot, as he works hard and is a surprisingly good playmaker from behind the net.

Is there a timetable on when he will return?  Is he on IR?

516074[/snapback]

Here is the latest from theBuffalo News.

Ruff said the Sabres don't believe Briere's injury is as serious as Dumont's.

"J.P.'s is in that sports hernia category, but Danny's isn't," the coach said.

Even so, fears intensify the longer Briere watches from the other side of that glass.

Briere hasn't been on the ice since making it through a light workout Saturday in Buffalo. He was too sore to even try skating before Sunday's 3-2 victory over the Washington Capitals. He still felt discomfort Monday.

"He's stressing out about it. I'm stressing out about it," Ruff said. "It's trying to find the right answers for him.

"We thought he'd be better. We're very concerned now. I thought a couple days rest would help. It didn't."

7-0-1 now with a win over Pittsburgh.  Kotalik with the clutch game winner in the third.  Yeah, baby!

516060[/snapback]

Great job killing penalties. This was a solid win. I also watched Boston blow a 2 goal lead to lose 3-2. I went to sleep happy.

Roy was playing with Max and Vanek tonight.  Roy and Max both had great games and looked really good together.  Vanek didn't look so hot....I almost feel that if we get JP and Briere back soon, Vanek should spend a week or two in Rochester, and we can keep Pominville up.  He just isn't working hard enough and needs a wakeup call.

Everyone else is stepping up their game too, for the most part.  Connelly had a bad game tonight, but has been playing well.  Grier has been a great penalty killer, and although Hecht has been somewhat dissapointing, he played well tonight.  Gaustad has been great all year, and I'm starting to like Mair a lot, as he works hard and is a surprisingly good playmaker from behind the net.

516094[/snapback]

I am a big fan of Roy and Gaustad. Both usually play well, but ALWAYS play hard.

Vanek looks like a dude who has had the game come easy to him his whole life, and now that things are not so easy, he is letting up, and maybe even sulking a bit. It is more noticable on a line with Roy and Max because they are always flying and working their tails off. I think Vanek needs to get to work and pump in a few dirty goals battling for rebounds. Once you get those, the pretty goals start going in also.

I am a big fan of Roy and Gaustad.  Both usually play well, but ALWAYS play hard.

Vanek looks like a dude who has had the game come easy to him his whole life, and now that things are not so easy, he is letting up, and maybe even sulking a bit.  It is more noticable on a line with Roy and Max because they are always flying and working their tails off.  I think Vanek needs to get to work and pump in a few dirty goals battling for rebounds.  Once you get those, the pretty goals start going in also.

516314[/snapback]

I like Vanek's game. He gets at least 2-3 good looks per game. The just are not going in. More importantly he creates scoring chances for his teamates. He is the best passer on the team. He rarely loses the puck and is always under control.

Roy was playing with Max and Vanek tonight.  Roy and Max both had great games and looked really good together.  Vanek didn't look so hot....I almost feel that if we get JP and Briere back soon, Vanek should spend a week or two in Rochester, and we can keep Pominville up.  He just isn't working hard enough and needs a wakeup call.

516094[/snapback]

No one will be sent down for a while now. We're dressing 11 forwards most nights now and when Briere returns, they'll bench one of the 7 defensemen. Peters will continue to be the only forward in the press box. If anyone gets sent down in about a month, it should be him.

Anyone who's getting to watch all these games have a quarterly report on Afinogenov?  Kid could always skate, but never could quite finish to become the great scorer this team needs -- it looked like more of the same to me when I was home to catch Friday's game.

516326[/snapback]

I am no expert but it seems that Max is putting a lot of pressure on defenses skating into the offensive zone and waiting for a linemate to break on net. His play has been effective and even though he isn't lighting it up much, he has been passing well and drawing a lot of penalties. The new rules have made him a more valuable player.

I like Vanek's game. He gets at least 2-3 good looks per game.  The just are not going in. More importantly he creates scoring chances for his teamates. He is the best passer on the team. He rarely loses the puck and is always under control.

516328[/snapback]

He has been getting chances, but a lot of times, if he would take one or two more steps he'd have a much better chance. Also, he isn't playing as physically as he should be...on a line with Roy and Max, he should be the one in the corner banging away for the puck. He got sat on his ass by Poapst late in the game (Poapst got a questionable penalty on the play, but Vanek really looked weak on the play). He has the size and the skill, he just needs to hustle more.

Briere was day to day with abdominal pain. He skated saturday and was expected to play Sunday against the Caps but woke up in great pain. Team doctors believe it could be a sports hernia now, similar to the one that just ended McNabb's season. He's expected to travel to Montreal with the team to visit with an expert on abdominal injuries. It doesn't sound too promising though.

516079[/snapback]

i had that surgery last january (from mcnabb's dr., no less)and trust me, if these guys have S.H. they are !@#$ed. you will not see them contributing until at least march.

and my fantasy team will be !@#$ed too :doh:

I am no expert but it seems that Max is putting a lot of pressure on defenses skating into the offensive zone and waiting for a linemate to break on net. His play has been effective and even though he isn't lighting it up much, he has been passing well and drawing a lot of penalties. The new rules have made him a more valuable player.

516370[/snapback]

I think Max tries to do too much and gets himself into trouble. I don;t think he relies on his teamates enough. He is better than he was when he came into the league, but he still handles the puck too long.

Man i wish i could watch some of these games on TV down here in Fla...I miss the Sabres, and it sounds like they are creating some real excitement!

516385[/snapback]

Don't you have a local sports bar that can set you up with Sabres games? If not, you can listen to games over the web via the Sabres web site.

It is a great time for hockey. Biron has been terrific. His glove was the difference against the Habs. Crosby and Ovechkin have been fun to watch.

The NHL has an Ottawa problem. At least it isn't the Red Wings and the "Nordiques". The sooner the rich teams tank the better it is for the rest of the league. Even The Senators backup (Emery) had a shutout last night.

I hope the attendance numbers go up for the Sabres. This is an exciting, young team.

Man i wish i could watch some of these games on TV down here in Fla...I miss the Sabres, and it sounds like they are creating some real excitement!

516385[/snapback]

Center Ice Package will give them all to you. The only thing that stinks is you don't always get the hometown announcers, but at least you can see the game.

Center Ice Package will give them all to you. The only thing that stinks is you don't always get the hometown announcers, but at least you can see the game.

516594[/snapback]

Last night was particularly brutal. The Pens' broadcast team is horrific - though not anywhere near as bad as the Crapitals.

You want the guy with the most God given talent and best hands on the team mucking away in the corner?    I guess the Great One should have been a third line checking center, too!  :doh:

516617[/snapback]

No, he should have been the team enforcer. :D

You want the guy with the most God given talent and best hands on the team mucking away in the corner?    I guess the Great One should have been a third line checking center, too!  :doh:

516617[/snapback]

Yes, he is the biggest guy on that line. Max and Roy are both better skaters than Vanek is, so he should be the one working in the corners, getting it to them in open ice, then getting himself open for a feed. Thats what power forwards do, and that is what Vanek needs to do to be successful on that line.

516594[/snapback]

Better value than the Sunday ticket, IMO. I should have gone for Center Ice instead, especially given this season's results for the Bills and Sabres. Ah well, I probably would have just gone to the bar and spent more to watch the Bills games.