Ideas For Storing 3-4 Gallons of Cooking Oil

TSNBDSC

... any ideas on how to store it away ? ... hate to throw away $50 worth of cooking oil ... hope to use it again around Christmas Time ... also, does it store well and for how long ? ... tom

513383[/snapback]

Throw it out. The fats from the bird will make it go rancid.

From what I've read, you can get the "rancid" stuff out by frying potatos (french fries, anyone?) when you're done with the meat. You can store the oil in a cool, dry place. We poured our oil back into the container)

CW

Sorry, I know peanut oil is expensive...I just don't trust it after animal fats.

513412[/snapback]

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/CajunFriedTurkey.htm

According to the Texas Peanut Producers Board: Peanut oil may be used three or four times to fry turkeys before signs of deterioration begin. Such indications include foaming, darkening or smoking excessively, indicating the oil must be discarded. Other signs of deteriorated oil include a rancid smell and/or failure to bubble when food is added.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2277.html

To re-use oil safely, use these tips:

* Strain it through a few layers of cheesecloth to catch any food particles. Be careful with hot oil, though, because you can easily get burned.

* Shake off excess batter from food before frying it.

* Use a good thermometer to fry foods at 190°C.

* Turn off the heat after you are done cooking. Exposing oil to prolonged heat accelerates rancidity.

* Don't mix different types of oil.

* Store oil in a cool, dark place.

* Avoid iron or copper pots or pans for frying oil that is to be reused. These metals also accelerate rancidity.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food/br...55e8981bb7b5d0c

And now the opposite viewpoint:

http://www.winndixie.com/food/tips/turkey_tips.asp

The oils used to fry a turkey are critical to the success of the product. Only oils that have high smoke points should be used. Such oils include peanut, canola and sunflower. peanut oil has abundant flavor and is the top choice for frying a turkey. It is not recommended to reuse this oil.

Most seem to think it's ok, some think it's not.

CW

Keep the stored oil away from air. I'd use it, unless you think you overheated it the first time. Heating breaks down the molecules, causing shorter-chain fatty acids - buyteric acid being one - making that rancid smell. The breakdown also lowers the flash point - a (somewhat nebulous) temperature where vapors above the liquid become flammable.

I'm sure with the references you've cited, the temperature to use peanut oil is known to you. And any "bugs" won't live at that temperature. I'd be more concerned about not fully cooking the turkey than any oil problems.

Whether refined or not, all oils are sensitive to heat, light and exposure to oxygen. Rancid oil has an unpleasant aroma and acrid taste, and its nutrients are greatly diminished. Regardless of refinement, it's best to store all oils in the refrigerator. Oils may thicken, but if you let them stand at room temperature they'll soon return to liquid. To prevent negative effects of heat and light, take oils out of cold storage just long enough to use them. Refined oils high in monounsaturated fats keep up to a year in the refrigerator, while those high in polyunsaturated fats keep about six months.Extra-virgin and virgin olive oils keep about a year after opening. Olive and other monounsaturated oils keep well up to eight months; unrefined polyunsaturated oils only about half as long.

The issue of not refrigerating oils is that bacteria can grow the result being food poisoning

Again I ask: YOU DEEP FRY WHOLE TURKEY'S????

And they are exapserated that Britiain is getting obese... we just deep fry the odd bit of fish and potato... Whole Turkeys is something else!!!

Medical insurance cover heart disease anyone?

514578[/snapback]

I agree! Never had it, probably never will. I can hear it now....."but chef it's the best, juiciest turkey ever!" Well we had a regular turkey and it was the juiciest, best tasting turkey I ever had. Fried turkey.............only in America.

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Moe buys the undustrial fryer from the army and frys everything........even the wine!

Again I ask: YOU DEEP FRY WHOLE TURKEY'S????

And they are exapserated that Britiain is getting obese... we just deep fry the odd bit of fish and potato... Whole Turkeys is something else!!!

Medical insurance cover heart disease anyone?

514578[/snapback]

A lot of people do it over on this side of the pond, but I have no idea why. It seems to me that it would come out pretty tasteless kind of like boiled chicken. We do ours on a rotisserie because the weather this time of year out here in the bay area allows us the opportunity to do as much.