JP's progression(s)...

Coach Tuesday

Ok, just bludgeoned my brain to near-death (college proportions) by watching HBO's "Inside the NFL" - caught the Bills' highlights. One great thing I noticed, in beautiful NFL Films Slo-Mo, was that on each of JP's TD passes to Evans, he looked off the safety before throwing deep. A minor sign, but a sign no less, of JP's maturing as a pocket passer. Looking forward to seeing the kid in action on Sunday.

Go Bills.

Ok, just bludgeoned my brain to near-death (college proportions) by watching HBO's "Inside the NFL" - caught the Bills' highlights.  One great thing I noticed, in beautiful NFL Films Slo-Mo, was that on each of JP's TD passes to Evans, he looked off the safety before throwing deep.  A minor sign, but a sign no less, of JP's maturing as a pocket passer.  Looking forward to seeing the kid in action on Sunday.

Go Bills.

506948[/snapback]

excuse my ignorance but what does "looking off" the safety mean?

Ok, just bludgeoned my brain to near-death (college proportions) by watching HBO's "Inside the NFL" - caught the Bills' highlights.  One great thing I noticed, in beautiful NFL Films Slo-Mo, was that on each of JP's TD passes to Evans, he looked off the safety before throwing deep.  A minor sign, but a sign no less, of JP's maturing as a pocket passer.  Looking forward to seeing the kid in action on Sunday.

Go Bills.

506948[/snapback]

Good eyes Coach :lol:

Holding the safety

excuse my ignorance but what does "looking off" the safety mean?

506975[/snapback]

If this is too basic it's only because I'm not sure what you know and what you don't.

The safeties, especially the free safety are DBs that, depending on the scheme, are allowed to play a center field type of game. They're oftentimes responsible for an area, a zone on the field.

Earlier in the year, JP was just staring down the WRs waiting for them to make their break, or get seperation, or whatever. The safeties tend to read the QBs eyes and drift toward where he's looking. "Looking off" involves faking the safeties out by looking in a direction other than the one in which he intends to throw the ball.

It's a huge part of what makes an NFL QB good, given the speed of NFL safeties. I hope that helps. :lol:

If this is too basic it's only because I'm not sure what you know and what you don't.

The safeties, especially the free safety are DBs that, depending on the scheme, are allowed to play a center field type of game.  They're oftentimes responsible for an area, a zone on the field. 

Earlier in the year, JP was just staring down the WRs waiting for them to make their break, or get seperation, or whatever.  The safeties tend to read the QBs eyes and drift toward where he's looking.  "Looking off" involves faking the safeties out by looking in a direction other than the one in which he intends to throw the ball.

It's a huge part of what makes an NFL QB good, given the speed of NFL safeties.  I hope that helps. :lol:

507022[/snapback]

The greats were the best at looking off the receivers.Unitas was amaazing --and this was good because he had a powderpuff arm. Montana--unbelievable...Marino very good-although his release was so quickthis also gave DBs less time to react.

You can look off safeties in Madden? :lol:

507027[/snapback]

Ah i get it. Ya you could, with QB cone vision, you look at one receiver you'll notice that the safety will follow that one, then quickly move your vision cone to the open receiver and he will usually be open.

I can't stand that qb cone vision...i utilize the pump fake instead...when combined with the bills offensive line, that usually leads me to getting sacked

507063[/snapback]

and the qb vision of JP Losman, it barely fits around a player

Looking off the safeties is a great skill. I really began to take notice of it in the mid-80s when I began to first play fantasy football. It taught me the import and the consistency of the look-off in a weird way.

In our league I was a few points ahead or behind (I don't remember which) of my opponent and I had Jerry Rice as my WR, but my opponent had Joe Montana as his QB. In the scoring our league used, while Rice got 6 points for catching a TD. Montana only got 3 for throwing one. Rice also got a point for every 10 yard gained while Montana only got a point for every 20 yards he gained throwing.

Thus, i went into this game hoping that Rice would throw alot to Rice as essentially I got double points compared to Montana for each throw. Alternately, Montana completing possession throws to Dwight Clark just killed me.

SF was playing the Redskins and my roomie was a Washingtonian who grudgingly accepted my watching the game with some bizarre rooting of sometimes yes and sometimes no for Montana passing, because my football knowledge was esoteric enough that I actually started the game rooting for the Skins to score and get a big lead. My figuring was that if SF fell way behind they were likely to abandon short possession throws and go deep to Rice more.

However, as the game progressed, i really began to notice that whenever Montana looked right to start a pass play, he almost always through left to Rice and also vice-versa. My roomate began to look at me a bit oddly as I rooted for SFon pass plays where Montana looked right, root against him when he looked left and was quite happy when SF ran the ball as this did nothing for Montana's passing yardage and thus my opponent.

The game got really perverse for my roomie when suddenly Rice got hurt. After some thingking, I then began to root even harder for SF to get a lead so that they would then go to the running game and burn clock. I refined my rooting further by yelling for SF's ST and D to deliver this margin so there was no risk of Montana getting valuable points to build this lead.

Ironically, the Rice nick was minor and he came back into the game.

It probably would have annoyed my roomie to see I was again rooting for SF to throw deep, but by then he had left to watch the TV in his room in disgust without me.

Oh well, but one could clearly see that the great QB used his eyes to look away from where he was throwing and how it forced the opposing DBs to follow his eyes and open things up for his intended receiver.