Kevin Everett item from PFW

• Though the Bills are taking a look at rookie TE Kevin Everett, who tore ligaments in his left knee in mini-camp, after he came off the physically-unable-to-perform list, word is that Everett has been very limited in practice and is unlikely to be activated this season.

Bad break for this kid, I was hoping we'd see him this year, but as we expected, this injury is probably too much to let him on the field too soon.

Hopefully next year he breaks out and steals Neufeld's spot. I'd like to see that guy gone, and a big dude who can be a ball-catching threat in his place.

I've got some questions for the faithful out there?

Even if Everett plays this year, what impact will he have on this team?

Once Everett is healthy next year, what will his impact be?

My take is that Everett will have a minimal impact at best. The Bills could have Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales line up at TE and it wouldn't make much difference because the TE is not considered a whole lot within this offense, save for blocking and dump offs. The Bills coaches wouldn't know what to do with a TE that could get down the field... except maybe keep him on the bench or cut him.

My take is that Everett will have a minimal impact at best.  The Bills could have Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales line up at TE and it wouldn't make much difference because the TE is not considered a whole lot within this offense, save for blocking and dump offs.  The Bills coaches wouldn't know what to do with a TE that could get down the field... except maybe keep him on the bench or cut him.

503636[/snapback]

Your TE "analysis" makes no sense. You can't accuse the staff of not knowing what to do with a "TE that could get down field" when the Bills don't have one.

You logic dictates it would make more sense to feature a TE even if we don't have a Gates or Gonzales on the roster; and then conclude that if Everett was of that caliber they would not feature him because they currently don't run those plays.

Brilliant.

Got any more? What about criticizing Parcells for not calling on Bledsoe to run the bootleg like Michael Vick? I guess even if Parcells had Vick he wouldn't know what to do with him since he doesn't run those plays with Bledsoe.

Unfortunately PFW has proved to be such an unreliable reporter, one needs confirmation from a real source before taking what they say as reasonable.

PFW does get it right from time to time, but this mostly seems to be like even a broken clock being correct twice a day.

503625[/snapback]

You're thinking PFT.

PFW is the respectable site, PFT the entertaining one.

let him continue to rehab the rest of this season and the entire offseason. Hopefully come mini camp he can begin to build a relationship with JP and by opening day 06 he can be our starting tightend and a threat on the field. It would be in big mistake to bring him back this year.

Your TE "analysis" makes no sense.  You can't accuse the staff of not knowing what to do with a "TE that could get down field" when the Bills don't have one.

You logic dictates it would make more sense to feature a TE even if we don't have a Gates or Gonzales on the roster; and then conclude that if Everett was of that caliber they would not feature him because they currently don't run those plays.

Brilliant.

Got any more?  What about criticizing Parcells for not calling on Bledsoe to run the bootleg like Michael Vick?  I guess even if Parcells had Vick he wouldn't know what to do with him since he doesn't run those plays with Bledsoe.

503784[/snapback]

Sheesh, lighten up Max.... I kind of agree with DeeRay's post in the sense that the tight end has been grossly under-utilized this year. I'm not saying Campbell is anywhere near in the class that Gates or Gonzalez is, but he is serviceable, and a good pass-catcher. I think he has a valid point....

My take is that Everett will have a minimal impact at best.  The Bills could have Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales line up at TE and it wouldn't make much difference because the TE is not considered a whole lot within this offense, save for blocking and dump offs.  The Bills coaches wouldn't know what to do with a TE that could get down the field... except maybe keep him on the bench or cut him.

503636[/snapback]

;)

Sheesh, lighten up Max....  I kind of agree with DeeRay's post in the sense that the tight end has been grossly under-utilized this year.  I'm not saying Campbell is anywhere near in the class that Gates or Gonzalez is, but he is serviceable, and a good pass-catcher.  I think he has a valid point....

503796[/snapback]

Given the talent at TE, how many catches "should" they have combined? I think "servicable" is probably 15% or so of all team catches; unlike the Top 5 who are more like 35-40%. Our TE account for about 12%.

But that's still not the main point. DeeRay asserts that Everett would sit on the bench or only get a few looks based on current TE utilization. That's pure negative speculation. He's saying the coaches don't know how to use TEs like Gates or Gonzalez but we don't have those kind of players to know if that would be true.

Hell: Ben Coats has fewer catches than Campbell and he's widely considered a better TE with a "brilliant" coaching staff.

Don't you agree we should reserve judgement on Everett's utility until he actually gets on the field instead of making an ill-conceived logical inference?

So who needs to "lighten up?"

503636[/snapback]

TE's aren't "considered alot" by a team whose coach was an NFL TE? Okey-dokey.

The TEs go out into patterns, but because the QB can't/doesn't throw them the ball, it's the coaches' fault? Ever consider that if Everett comes back and is as good as billed that he might have an easier time of getting open than our current TEs do, or is it just easier to rip on the coaching?

BTW: Mark Campbell had 4 receptions for 42 yds Sunday. Those don't sound like the receiving numbers of a TE in an offense where the TEs aren't "considered."

503636[/snapback]

That's just dumb, as usual. The TE wasn't a huge part of SD's offense either until Gates showed a propensity to get open and make the catch, then he became a bigger and bigger part of it. You design plays for your players and playmakers unless you're Killdrive. The Patriots didn't throw a lot to their TE before or after Ben Coates was playing well. The Chiefs didnt have a TE offense before Tony Gonzalez became good at getting the ball. The Bills didnt throw the ball last year to Lee Evans a lot until he started getting open and producing deep, then he got more deep balls than Moulds. if the Bills had Gates he would be getting a lot of looks from the coaches and QBs.

That's just dumb, as usual. The TE wasn't a huge part of SD's offense either until Gates showed a propensity to get open and make the catch, then he became a bigger and bigger part of it. You design plays for your players and playmakers unless you're Killdrive. The Patriots didn't throw a lot to their TE before or after Ben Coates was playing well. The Chiefs didnt have a TE offense before Tony Gonzalez became good at getting the ball. The Bills didnt throw the ball last year to Lee Evans a lot until he started getting open and producing deep, then he got more deep balls than Moulds. if the Bills had Gates he would be getting a lot of looks from the coaches and QBs.

503935[/snapback]

Deeray no likee common sense.

That's just dumb, as usual. The TE wasn't a huge part of SD's offense either until Gates showed a propensity to get open and make the catch, then he became a bigger and bigger part of it. You design plays for your players and playmakers unless you're Killdrive. The Patriots didn't throw a lot to their TE before or after Ben Coates was playing well. The Chiefs didnt have a TE offense before Tony Gonzalez became good at getting the ball. The Bills didnt throw the ball last year to Lee Evans a lot until he started getting open and producing deep, then he got more deep balls than Moulds. if the Bills had Gates he would be getting a lot of looks from the coaches and QBs

Thanks so much Kelly for espousing my intelligence. Like I need a rocket scientist like yourself to tell me what to think, how to think, why to think, when to opine, when not , what to, etc, and whether or not it has merit or logic. I feel so blessed and enlightened... as always

Coates... Parcells always used the tight end as a big part of his offense, Bavaro, Mowatt, now a no name Whitten in Dallas.

Gonzo... was drafted in the 1st round and was an instant star right out of the gate because, Marty, like Parcells, loves a TE down the field. If Gates hadn't emerged for Marty in SanDieg, he would have found someone else.

So, the TE is not whether you fall into one or not... a good coach knows what one is and brings him in for the sole purpose of making him big part of the offense.

The Billis drafted Euhus in the 3rd or 4th a year ago. For what? And, Neufeld? could he even make another NFL roster? When has Malarkey ever demonstrated a willingness to include the TE in his passing game... Bruener, Reimersma, Tuman... anyone? The TE in his offense has one purpose... to block. A designed play for a TE to be a primary receiver probably doesn't take up a full page in his playbook.

PS, Lee Evens is a wr... so, I have no idea how he gets into this conversation.

When has Malarkey ever demonstrated a willingness to include the TE in his passing game... Bruener, Reimersma, Tuman... anyone?  The TE in his offense has one purpose... to block.  A designed play for a TE to be a primary receiver probably doesn't take up a full page in his playbook.

503992[/snapback]

Yeah, that makes sense. Why would a former Tight End have plays in his playbook for a tight end?

Oh, and he brought in RIEMERSMA to BLOCK? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I guess our friend DeeRay never saw Jay (try to) block.

So, how many passes did rearsmegma catch in Pttsburgh? I have no clue as wo why they brought him in, but I know one thing, he wasn't thrown to much... which again, proves my point.

So, how many passes did rearsmegma catch in Pttsburgh?  I have no clue as wo why they brought him in, but I know one thing, he wasn't thrown to much... which again, proves my point.

504025[/snapback]

They brought him in because he had a solid (not spectacular) career as a receiving TE. Chances are pretty good that they brought him in to receive, no?

Because Tommy Maddox was unable to hit him doesn't mean that he wasn't part of the gameplan.

They brought him in because he had a solid (not spectacular) career as a receiving TE.  Chances are pretty good that they brought him in to receive, no?

Because Tommy Maddox was unable to hit him doesn't mean that he wasn't part of the gameplan.

504029[/snapback]

No, really. A team with Bruener and Tuman on the roster brought in Jay Riemersma to fill that blocking TE role.

There are 3 reasons Pittsburgh didn't throw to Jay:

1. While he's better in that aspect of the game than Tuman or Bruener, he's still nothing more than average.

2. He's such a liability in the running game that when he's the sole TE in the game the defense is virtually guaranteed it's a passing play.

3. If you have Plaxico Burris and Hines Ward, are you honestly going to call a bunch of plays for Jay Freakin' Riemersma? Answer for the stupid: NO. You're going to use JR to pull coverage away from your bread and butter guys.