Travis and Jonas items

The Titans are down on Travis Henry, not only for his four-game suspension but also for his play before that. He has been guilty of running in the wrong holes and fumbling at critical times. Don't expect him to take any carries away from Chris Brown unless Brown gets hurt.

I was never much of a Travis hater, but it sounds like he's hitting the familiar obstacles.

I'm sure some will delight in hearing of his setbacks...

Let me put it this way: in terms of personnel, definitely the wrong move.  In terms of budget, might have been the necessary move.

497726[/snapback]

That's about the way to put it. You either have PW, or Gandy and Holcomb. While from a talent perspective it doesn't seem like much of a fair trade, considering how much worse off we'd be without them put a different spin on it.

I still would have like to see an offense with McGahee and Henry both lined up in the backfield. Keep the defences guessing as to who it goes to, if only Travis could have been more of a team player and do what is best for the team.

Now he gets to be the next Peerless Price, another Bills player who thinks he is the best and leaves just to become another average player.

I still would have like to see an offense with McGahee and Henry both lined up in the backfield. Keep the defences guessing as to who it goes to, if only Travis could have been more of a team player and do what is best for the team.

Now he gets to be the next Peerless Price, another Bills player who thinks he is the best and leaves just to become another average player.

497798[/snapback]

Peerless is killing them in Dallas. Good thing he wanted so much money from us

Let me put it this way: in terms of personnel, definitely the wrong move.

In terms of budget, might have been the necessary move.

I disagree. Considering how much we have struggled vs. the run this season, it should have been a necessary move from both standpoints.

That's about the way to put it. You either have PW, or Gandy and Holcomb.

I'm not sure thats entirely accurate. Gandy was paid barely above the vet minimum. Holcomb's contract wasn't a killer either. Also, the release of DB saved some money, as did not re-signing Jonas.

A contract or two could have been re-worked (MW?). Barring that, your choice basically would boil down to PW or McGee's extension (rememnber, we had the room to do that deal on this year's cap). I'd rather have had PW and been 4-4 or 5-3 right now and deal with McGee in the off-season.

That's about the way to put it.  You either have PW, or Gandy and Holcomb.  While from a talent perspective it doesn't seem like much of a fair trade, considering how much worse off we'd be without them put a different spin on it.

497732[/snapback]

Or you cut one of the fat useless guys like Adams or Mike Williams that just clog up space on the salary cap and keep someone who can play like Patrick Williams!!!

That's about the way to put it.  You either have PW, or Gandy and Holcomb.  While from a talent perspective it doesn't seem like much of a fair trade, considering how much worse off we'd be without them put a different spin on it.

497732[/snapback]

How about Pat Williams, Gandy, Holcomb, and Big Mike W. takes a pay cut...

I disagree.  Considering how much we have struggled vs. the run this season, it should have been a necessary move from both standpoints. 

497821[/snapback]

Will you feel the same way in a couple of seasons? See, that's the really test. It's easy to look at 8 games and flip out. PW is an old interior lineman with alot of mileage.

Will you feel the same way in a couple of seasons?  See, that's the really test.  It's easy to look at 8 games and flip out.  PW is an old interior lineman with alot of mileage.

498073[/snapback]

2 seasons from now is practically an eternity. sometimes you've gotta overpay for the now. otherwise you run the risk of being in perpetual rebuilding mode (see bills, buffalo).

Will you feel the same way in a couple of seasons?  See, that's the really test.  It's easy to look at 8 games and flip out.  PW is an old interior lineman with alot of mileage.

498073[/snapback]

And Sam Adams is a spring chicken???? He's 32 and been in the league 12 years. Pat is 33 and been in the league 9 years. Who has more mileage????

Adams has 14 tackles and 1 sack this year http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3006

Williams has 33 tackles and 1 sack http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4539

Looks like Sam is heading for the retirement home quicker than Pat

Pat Williams ain't nearly enough to fix what ails this team.

498081[/snapback]

Agreed. He would have helped to a degree this season, but then his cap number would have chased us, ala Henry Jones, Jerry Ostroski, Rogers, etc.

Imo, the Bills need a free agent signing ala Bryce Paup. As I recall he was signed for 3 years/7.8 million. I know that prices have risen, but you know what I mean. Bryce slid under the radar, and was a perfect fit for what the Bills needed.

More than anything else, they also need a solid draft to fortify their foundation. Sadly, I expect them to pick relatively early which should help. TD needs to get it together on draft day 06, because at some point the love will wane, and he will have ran out of excuses.

Will you feel the same way in a couple of seasons? See, that's the really test. It's easy to look at 8 games and flip out. PW is an old interior lineman with alot of mileage.

Thats definately an issue. But I think PW would still be productive in 3-4 years in limited circumstances. In 3-4 years would he be worth the $$$, maybe, maybe not. But this year he sure would have been.

As another example, take the Red Sox. If they had paid Pedro this offseason, they may have repeated. In 1-2 years, Pedro will be useless, unless he closes.

But sometimes you have to see the here and now, versus always planning for a future that may never come. Take you shot. We needed an uber-defense this year for JP to succeed (See Bears, Chicago). We don't have that.

Also, as a side note, we went for it in 1999, and I respect John Butler so much for that. If that play in Tennessee is called properly, its Bills-Rams in the Bowl and there's not too many of us on this board that wouldn't suffer through a couple 3-13's for just one title.

Thats definately an issue.  But I think PW would still be productive in 3-4 years in limited circumstances.  In 3-4 years would he be worth the $$$, maybe, maybe not.  But this year he sure would have been. 

As another example, take the Red Sox.  If they had paid Pedro this offseason, they may have repeated.  In 1-2 years, Pedro will be useless, unless he closes. 

But sometimes you have to see the here and now, versus always planning for a future that may never come.  Take you shot.  We needed an uber-defense this year for JP to succeed (See Bears, Chicago).  We don't have that.

Also, as a side note, we went for it in 1999, and I respect John Butler so much for that.  If that play in Tennessee is called properly, its Bills-Rams in the Bowl and there's not too many of us on this board that wouldn't suffer through a couple 3-13's for just one title.

498124[/snapback]

i also love butler for going for it that year, but there was no way the bills would have gotten past the colts the next week. the bills were a horrible dome stadium team throughout the 90s, and had been blasted badly by the colts earlier that year in indy. they also matched up poorly against jacksonville.