POLL: If you could pick first overall....

If you had the first overall pick who would you pick?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the first overall pick who would you pick?

• QB Matt Leinart (USC)
    • RB Reggie Bush (USC)
    • QB Vince Young (QB)
    • Other (List below)

Not as a specific team but who would you build your team around?

496526[/snapback]

Despite his weak performance against Miami, Marcus Vick may be a name to throw in. Michael Vick had similar results against Miami when he was with VT, although he was playing injured. Right?

Another name would be Brady Quinn. Weiss has totally turned this guys career around. There are a few other honerable mentions but I'll stop there.

My personal choice has to be Leinart. I know he is surrounded by some really good talent, but the guy shows up every big game and appears to be a winner. He's probably closer to being an NFL qb than anyone else in college football, and moreso than Alex Smith. There's no way I'd build my team around Alex Smith like San Fran chose to do. Reggie Bush could be the next LT. I guess you can't go wrong building around that type of a player. Vince Young will surely be a top 10 pick as well.

I'd trade down for more picks.  I'm willing to give Losman a chance to see what he has,  I'd trade down to the middle of rd 1 stockpile picks for next year and draft De Mario Williams or DT Ngata

496533[/snapback]

I was speaking from a different team's perspective. Definitely not the Bills. I'm sticking with Losman. 4 games isn't enough to change my mind. Sorry to go off topic here but the Bills will be fun for me when Losman gets back in there.

I was speaking from a different team's perspective. Definitely not the Bills. I'm sticking with Losman. 4 games isn't enough to change my mind. Sorry to go off topic here but the Bills will be fun for me when Losman gets back in there.

496534[/snapback]

Ahh stupid me I just realized it was non team specific question :ph34r:

In that case Reggie Bush. That guy is crazy good. There was a stat yesterday during the USC game he scores a td once every 12.5 touches. That's just sick. If Not Bush Then Leinart. Forget the talent he has around him when it matters the guy just makes plays to win. Although he doesn't have the strongest arm. His arm strength is compareable to that of Chad Pennington, but he knows where to go with the ball at all times. Very Accurate nice touch on his passes and allows his receivers to make plays.

The poll posted implies different questions which merit different answers which strike me as most correct.

1. Lineart strikes me as the best player in college ball here by far, but being the best in the NCAA (particularly for QBs) and being the player most worth drafting to produce for you in the NFL are different questions. If you are asking who is the best player in the NCAA this year, I would say Linehart. If you are asking me who I would draft as an NFL team, I'm probably more interested in Bush.

2. Even beyond this dichotomy of the NFL and NCAA being different, it is easy for me to see why the several answers so far have asked for or looked to a specific team before choosing. The 2 lead candidates for the first pick right now based on their lousy records are the Pack and Houston. Given the prescence of Favre/Rodgers and Carr, a pick of the best player available (Lineart IMHO) would have severe cap implacations for these teams which already have beaucoup bucks dedicated to the QB position and may well condemn them to a few years more of rebuilding the team if Lineart succeeds but has even the normal development time necessary. The goal of an NFL team is to win it all. Different teams should and will pick a different player first based not on simply who is the best player, but on what their team needs.

Teams like SD have shown that one can make the playoffs even with poor cap allocation (Brees and Rivers) and some folks are committed enough to a best player mold that they might take Lineart even though it makes little immediate sense. However, this is a the future is now society snd it is even more so in the modern NFL so picking the best player in the NCAA may make little sense for a team.

3. The answer I would have to your question is I likely would trade down with the pick. TD (despite the grief he deserves overall for the bad W/L and not making the playoffs) has done extremely well in my view manipulating and using the draft.

TDs work in

2001- Trade down with the first pick and still get the first CB chosen who later makes the Pro Bowl and get extra picks you use to acquire an idiot RB who makes the Pro Bowl shows what you can acquire at no loss by trading down.

2002- TD showed both why making a high pick with a slotted huge contract of the consensus best LT available (do you think McKinnie is a far better choice even a bust MW seems at worst as bad as McKinnie) and also the advantage of trading the first as he shipped the 2003 1st top acquire a replacemen for RJ who made the Pro Bowl with his 2002 performance at QB as for that year we again got Pro Bowl production for no 2002 cost.

2003- TD demonstrated here that it is possible to turn nothing we were owed by normal rule into a 1st round pick through his tagging of Price. However. he also once again demonstrated how to manipulate the draft by using the 1st to take an injured player we then signed to cap friendly contract AND our docs called it right as he rehabbed his knee and we got a top 5 performer with puick #23 AND he read the market perfectly as the run on needed DL talent before our pick allowed us to still draft the player we wanted and needed (Kelsay) with our 2nd round pick.

2004- TD again showed that his motivation was the team rather than simply picking the best player by trading the 2005 #1 for Losman and getting a year to train our QB of the future (clearly Losman needed and needs more than a year of training). When you add into that his correct talent assessment that the 2005 QB pool did not have the talent to merit us holding onto the 2005 1st round pick, it really was a nice piece of work (that has yet to work out a Losman needs work still).

Overall, I think in most situations in reality, I ould trade down the 2006 #1 pick and try to replicate the work TD has accomplished in how he has traded his picks for more immediate value. I'd try to avoid the mistakes he made obviously (he should not have resigned and exteneded Bledsoe and he should not have gone to JP so soon) but by tading down I could avoid his biggest draft mistake which is the one of taking MW with the #4 pick.

The poll posted implies different questions which merit different answers which strike me as most correct.

1. Lineart strikes me as the best player in college ball here by far

498873[/snapback]

Very debatable.

Leinart has played w/ good poise, but Reggie Bush is the guy who can score for USC @ just about any time from just about anywhere on the field. It's tough for me to say that Leinart is even the best player on his team, let alone the best in college football.