Secret CIA Interrogation Sites

Taro T

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

MSNBC Story Link

I'm sure the Democrats will be VERY concerned over finding the person(s) that leaked information about these classified sites to the paper. :)

WSJ predicted in the aftermath of the Libby investigation that if politics become illegal then reporting politics becomes illegal as well. I guess we'll get a chance to find out if their prediction is correct.

"It depends on the cooperation of foreign intelligence services, and on keeping even basic information about the system secret from the public, foreign officials and nearly all members of Congress charged with overseeing the CIA's covert actions."

In related news, the Republicans today requested that the Oversight Committee be renamed the Overlook Committee, which beat out the other possible name of the Oh Never Mind Committee.

MSNBC Story Link

I'm sure the Democrats will be VERY concerned over finding the person(s) that leaked information about these classified sites to the paper.  :)

WSJ predicted in the aftermath of the Libby investigation that if politics become illegal then reporting politics becomes illegal as well.  I guess we'll get a chance to find out if their prediction is correct.

493570[/snapback]

Which brings the total number of CIA leaks this year up to, what, a million?

Which brings the total number of CIA leaks this year up to, what, a million?

493713[/snapback]

Only one counted. The one where a CIA person who had already told her family and friends what she did, was a "NOC" but had diplomat passports since her hubby was an ambassador, so she really wasn't a NOC, and who she and her hubby were releasing secret information to the press about the validity of the documents involving Iraq WMD destruction.

MSNBC Story Link

I'm sure the Democrats will be VERY concerned over finding the person(s) that leaked information about these classified sites to the paper.  :)

WSJ predicted in the aftermath of the Libby investigation that if politics become illegal then reporting politics becomes illegal as well.  I guess we'll get a chance to find out if their prediction is correct.

493570[/snapback]

I see you have enthusiastically embraced the "criminalizing politics" talking point.

You do realize that it was the CIA which made the referral of the Plame matter to the Justice Department, not the DNC, don't you?

I see you have enthusiastically embraced the "criminalizing politics" talking point.

You do realize that it was the CIA which made the referral of the Plame matter to the Justice Department, not the DNC, don't you?

493739[/snapback]

And who leaked the CIA referral to the press (which I think is also supposed to be classified?)

493739[/snapback]

Yes I do realize the CIA made the referral to Justice. I am no expert in these matters, but from what I have read, it appears that CIA refers a lot of matters such as this to the Justice Department. Who (apparently illegally) leaked the info about the referral?

I also noticed that you did not embrace finding the source of the new leak.

PS Not that it has anything to do with this new leak, but if Libby did in fact perjure himself, he should be in jail.

I was thinking of the same thing.  There have to be serious national security implications with this leak, no?

493629[/snapback]

Depends on exactly what got leaked. The National Security problems can be peripheral when the press starts up. People should sometimes mind their own business, but that is neither the nature nor the purpose of the press.

There are "leaks" in Washington, all the time. Almost without exception, they are done to further an agenda of one sort or another, most normally for someone whose ideas got shot down. Often, they get carried in the press as a "whistle blower". More than likely, there was a PC (policy committee) or a sub PC that worked and argued an issue, took a consesus within the group and settled onto a course of action. Someone in that group wanted to "go north" when the agreement was to "go west". Well, before long "go north" shows up in the Times or what not so it gets attention and dialogue. Lots of angles after that.

493739[/snapback]

Read my above post, Mickey. Then think about your CIA referrals.

Depends on exactly what got leaked. The National Security problems can be peripheral when the press starts up. People should sometimes mind their own business, but that is neither the nature nor the purpose of the press.

There are "leaks" in Washington, all the time. Almost without exception, they are done to further an agenda of one sort or another, most normally for someone whose ideas got shot down. Often, they get carried in the press as a "whistle blower". More than likely, there was a PC (policy committee) or a sub PC that worked and argued an issue, took a consesus within the group and settled onto a course of action. Someone in that group wanted to "go north" when the agreement was to "go west". Well, before long "go north" shows up in the Times or what not so it gets attention and dialogue. Lots of angles after that.

494172[/snapback]

from the article is sounds like you've nailed it. Many of the sources are "former intelligence officers." In addition, it states that there is a debate within the CIA about the usefulness of this policy. Could it be another attempt to discredit what GG called the "cabal in the White House?" <_<

"The black site program was approved by a small circle of White House and Justice Department lawyers and officials, according to several former and current U.S. government and intelligence officials."

In a recent interview, Powell's former aide Wilkerson (who also said "US foreign policy was hijacked by a cabal in the White House) suggests the abuse of prisoners at Abu Graib goes back to the Veep's office as well....

Wilerkson

The way that Goss is politicizing the CIA now, it would not surprise me that those liberal CIA folk are behind the leaks...

I remember when the US was a champion of Human Rights in the world. We used to be appalled by rogue countries that used torture and imprisoned people indefinitely without trial.

Now we're the ones doing it. Maybe it was leaked by someone with a conscience who doesn't believe that we need to stoop to the level of rogue states in order to protect our national security.

I remember when the US was a champion of Human Rights in the world.  We used to be appalled by rogue countries that used torture and imprisoned people indefinitely without trial.

Now we're the ones doing it.  Maybe it was leaked by someone with a conscience who doesn't believe that we need to stoop to the level of rogue states in order to protect our national security.

495403[/snapback]

Newsflash: We've always done it and everyone needs to have a reality check. If you honestly think we're playing by the same rules as the rest of the world, you haven't a clue of what you speak about.

MSNBC Story Link

I'm sure the Democrats will be VERY concerned over finding the person(s) that leaked information about these classified sites to the paper.  <_<

493570[/snapback]

Hrm, can anyone there show me something that we didn't already know?

from the article is sounds like you've nailed it.  Many of the sources are "former intelligence officers."  In addition, it states that there is a debate within the CIA about the usefulness of this policy.  Could it be another attempt to discredit what GG called the "cabal in the White House?"  <_<

"The black site program was approved by a small circle of White House and Justice Department lawyers and officials, according to several former and current U.S. government and intelligence officials."

In a recent interview, Powell's former aide Wilkerson (who also said "US foreign policy was hijacked by a cabal in the White House) suggests the abuse of prisoners at Abu Graib goes back to the Veep's office as well....

Wilerkson

The way that Goss is politicizing the CIA now, it would not surprise me that those liberal CIA folk are behind the leaks...

495377[/snapback]

There is some history between Powell's state department, and the rest of the PC that met several times on the Iraq issue. The Powell contingent was the one who "went north". Very rarely is there ever a true consesus on anything, and this kind of thing happens a lot. But, it makes for good PPP fodder.

There is some history between Powell's state department, and the rest of the PC that met several times on the Iraq issue. The Powell contingent was the one who "went north". Very rarely is there ever a true consesus on anything, and this kind of thing happens a lot. But, it makes for good PPP fodder.

495496[/snapback]

apparently I'm not alone is thinking the leak came from within...

"Senior intelligence sources blamed the leak on CIA officers unhappy at having to maintain what one former counter-terrorism official described as “secret gulags”. "

CIA leaks

apparently I'm not alone is thinking the leak came from within...

"Senior intelligence sources blamed the leak on CIA officers unhappy at having to maintain what one former counter-terrorism official described as “secret gulags”. "

CIA leaks

496139[/snapback]

I like that sometimes the media is outraged at the very thought of CIA leaks but other times CIA leaks are awesome and necessary and belong on the front page of the Washington Post.

Ho hum.

I like that sometimes the media is outraged at the very thought of CIA leaks but other times CIA leaks are awesome and necessary and belong on the front page of the Washington Post.

Ho hum.

496159[/snapback]

What, you missed the media and Democratic cries for a special prosecutor to track the sources of these leaks?!?

Oh, I guess we all did.

Ho hum.

496159[/snapback]

You're comparing apples and oranges. In the case of Plame, senior administration officials leaked her name to the press to discredit her husband; in the current case, apparently senior CIA officials leaked the "gulag story" because of their disagreement with the policy--which was also established by the Cheney-Rumsfeld "cabal."

The right wants to make this a liberal media/democrats vs. Bush story, but it's not.

At least two years ago I speculated that there was a "spy vs. spy" conflict between the Cheney-Rumsfeld Pentagon and the CIA over disagreements about US foreign policy and the war on terror, specifically the need to invade Iraq. This continues to play out today in the form of leaks and criticism from former national security personnel, especially now that Bush's man Goss is trying to purge the CIA of elements that do not support the beliefs of the neocons.

Like Wilkerson said, Cheney's cabal has hijacked US foreign policy, and there are a lot of long time foriegn policy/security personnel who are opposed to their plans. I think they see a good chance to sink the ship with the Libby indictment, so they'll continue to "leak" information that further damages the neocons.

You're comparing apples and oranges.  In the case of Plame, senior administration officials leaked her name to the press to discredit her husband; in the current case, apparently senior CIA officials leaked the "gulag story" because of their disagreement with the policy--which was also established by the Cheney-Rumsfeld "cabal."

496178[/snapback]

OK, and the difference is what? You're saying "CIA officials" are allowed to leak classified information if they really, really want to? They disagree with the President's policy so it's OK to compromise national security?

Oh, alright. :ph34r:

OK, and the difference is what?  You're saying "CIA officials" are allowed to leak classified information if they really, really want to?  They disagree with the President's policy so it's OK to compromise national security?

Oh, alright.  :ph34r:

496180[/snapback]

Nope, not saying that. In the case of Plame, it could be a criminal offense to leak her name; in the case of the gulags, the leak concerns a "policy" that breaks international law (Geneva Convention). Maybe some of those people at the CIA have a conscience...

Nope, not saying that.  In the case of Plame, it could be a criminal offense to leak her name; in the case of the gulags, the leak concerns a "policy" that breaks international law (Geneva Convention).  Maybe some of those people at the CIA have a conscience...

496208[/snapback]

That, I doubt.

Nope, not saying that.  In the case of Plame, it could be a criminal offense to leak her name; in the case of the gulags, the leak concerns a "policy" that breaks international law (Geneva Convention).  Maybe some of those people at the CIA have a conscience...

496208[/snapback]

Ah yes, the leak is merely a noble effort of a man (or woman) of extreme conscience and not the result of a disgruntled employee who doesn't like the new boss for trying to change the way things are done. Either way it does not explain why the righteous indignation we saw in the "Plame affair" is not emanating from the Democrats in this one.

496208[/snapback]

Fitzpatrick has spent two years investigating whether or not a crime was commited in Valerie Plame's job becoming public knowledge. The result: a perjury indictment for statements made during the investigation.

I love how you state that some CIA leaks are good because you like them and others are bad because you don't. Did you ever think that Plame's name may have been leaked because she was abusing her power at the CIA to send her husband on a trip to Niger that he had no business going on? So that he could make accusations (that contradict his own findings on the trip) against a President he doesn't like? The people reporting her identity probably thought they were doing the right thing too.

CIA leaks are bad. Unfortunately, they happen constantly and usually for political reasons. It'd be nice if everyone just did their jobs. It'd also be nice if newspapers didn't exploit some leaks and act outraged at others.