Mularkey Chat VERY Interesting

Brack733

Take a look at his answer as to whether JP may be playing soon. It certainly was not a ringing endorsement of Holcomb- plus he did not seem happy with the 4th down play. After reading that transcript I really think that there is a strong chance that JP starts for us against KC.

"Andrew Cook (Hudson Falls, NY): I really liked your offensive game-plan last night and it seemed to work well against a formidable defense all night. However, on the fourth down play, was Eric Moulds' route so short of the first down marker?

Mike Mularkey: It was a high-low route and we should have taken a shot at the high route. Even with an interception possibility, our odds of getting the first down would have been higher. I think Kelly Holcomb didn't feel that there was a chance on the high route and that one broken tackle by Eric Moulds gave us a better chance at a first down. It didn't happen, but the route was the right depth.

Steve Edsall (Hilton, NY): Mike although I did agree in the switch to Kelly Holcomb in an effort to save the season, isn't it time to give J.P. Losman the chance to develop? Let's face facts, the defense isn't scaring anybody and the offense needs to further gel in order to have real chance in playoffs.

Mike Mularkey: At some point it's going to happen. We're going to do an evaluation this week on every position. That's what the bye week is for. We'll look at each player, each scheme and the play calling. Everybody will take a good look at themselves, coaches included, and if switching back to J.P. is the decision than that's one of the decisions we will make, but all options will be discussed."

Take a look at his answer as to whether JP may be playing soon.  It certainly was not a ringing endorsement of Holcomb- plus he did not seem happy with the 4th down play.  After reading that transcript I really think that there is a strong chance that JP starts for us against KC.

"Andrew Cook (Hudson Falls, NY): I really liked your offensive game-plan last night and it seemed to work well against a formidable defense all night. However, on the fourth down play, was Eric Moulds' route so short of the first down marker?

Mike Mularkey: It was a high-low route and we should have taken a shot at the high route. Even with an interception possibility, our odds of getting the first down would have been higher. I think Kelly Holcomb didn't feel that there was a chance on the high route and that one broken tackle by Eric Moulds gave us a better chance at a first down. It didn't happen, but the route was the right depth.

Steve Edsall (Hilton, NY): Mike although I did agree in the switch to Kelly Holcomb in an effort to save the season, isn't it time to give J.P. Losman the chance to develop? Let's face facts, the defense isn't scaring anybody and the offense needs to further gel in order to have real chance in playoffs.

Mike Mularkey: At some point it's going to happen. We're going to do an evaluation this week on every position. That's what the bye week is for. We'll look at each player, each scheme and the play calling. Everybody will take a good look at themselves, coaches included, and if switching back to J.P. is the decision than that's one of the decisions we will make, but all options will be discussed."

493375[/snapback]

lets hope so

Read between the lines, and you can almost say he's starting against KC.

I can't imagine TD and MM being thrilled after that 4th down play. Especially if they looked at the film, and their was a slight chance of another option being available, providing they had a QB with a set of balls.

Read between the lines,  and you can almost say he's starting against KC. 

I can't imagine TD and MM being thrilled after that 4th down play.  Especially if they looked at the film,  and their was a slight chance of another option being available,  providing they had a QB with a set of balls.

493386[/snapback]

At the same time, given that Holcomb had the Bills' first 200-yard passing game since week 12 of last season ( <_< ), I don't necessarily think Losman is a foregone conclusion.

All that kid needs is a close game

4 quarter, 1:38 to go, Buffalo down by 6.

JP marches down the field and gets the winning TD on a QB draw.

He just needs that one spark and this kid will be a winner. Let him in there now and even if the season is a wash, he gets the lumps out!

We need this guy to play now, nothing is gained with him on the bench. All Buffalo is doing is putting off the growing pains!

This bull about let him watch and learn from the bench is horse SHIOT!

THE BEST TRAINING IN THE WORLD IS LEARNING ON THE JOB!!!!

They're "going to do an evaluation this week of every position"?

Really? B/c TD says in every one of his "Ask the GM" thingies that they only do player evaluations at the end of the season.

From the sounds of it, it's probably 60-40 that Holcomb is playing vs. KC, and if he still can't put up much better overall results, then it's curtains. With a dink-and-dunk QB, the stats don't matter --- they will usually have good comp/att numbers, and Ds will give them garbagetime-like yardage gains in order to stop them or force FGs. When the field gets shorter, defending the D'n'D gets easier b/c the DBs aren't covering nearly as much ground. What does matter is whether the QB controls the O smoothly, methodically and with results. KH hasn't done that first one very well (to some degree, Tom Clements has a lot to do with this, but by that same token, TCs' craptacular 'Who's Willis?' O when JP was in didn't help the rookie), and the last one, well... you know the answer in that Rian Lindell is the team MVP.

What difference does it make? The play of the QBs on this team has very little to do with how many games we win. Winning lies with the D. If they continue to play like they have the first half the offense will need to outscore a team to win. Not likely to happen. However, if the D can stiffen and limit teams to 20-25 points or less, we might have a chance. Big IF there though. This defense is just plain bad.

I don't think Mularkey ever said that Holcomb was the long term starter. That was the conclusion drawn by TSW Jp Losman fan club...

Mularkey hinted at the change last week too. Holcomb hasn't played his way out of a job, the way JP did, but he will be riding the pines again, its' all economics for the Bills at this point!

if they do put JP in, I want to see him run the ball a whole lot more.

i am not really a fan of his, but the kid can motor like a freak!!

i don't care if he passes for the same garbage 70 yards a game, if he runs 12 times for 80 yards we will have a poor man's vick and that's good enough for me right now.