Losman starting this week?

NJ_BillsFan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no link. I am just piecing together things I have been reading. I am not saying Losman will start. I am just stating that anything is possible. Holcomb isn't really getting things done either. He is doing a solid job. The offense needs that spark though. We need the deep ball back. Who knows?

Holcomb isn't really getting things done either.  He is doing a solid job.

486196[/snapback]

:w00t:

If they lose against NE, I think they'll give JP the start after the bye. If they win, we're in first place and they stick with KH.

I think if Losman-lovers were being objective, they would realize, while not perfect, Kelly Holcomb played pretty damn well against the Raiders. He was far from the culprit in Sunday's loss...and as bad as you may think Holcomb has played, that Losman kid was far worse...the idea of putting Losman in to "provide a spark" doesn't wash. Holcomb provided a "spark" because he has some experience, and has made some plays that Losman simply can't make at this point. Unless something clicked with JP on the sidelines the last three weeks, he would likely not be much better than he was against the Saints, or Falcons, which, frankly, was terrible....

Take heart. If the Bills lose Sunday, which most seem to assume, JP will likely get 8 starts, in addition to the 4 he has had. JP may well turn out to be a far better QB than Holcomb will ever be, but it ain't even close right now...

I think if Losman-lovers were being objective, they would realize, while not perfect, Kelly Holcomb played pretty damn well against the Raiders.  He was far from the culprit in Sunday's loss...and as bad as you may think Holcomb has played, that Losman kid was far worse...the idea of putting Losman in to "provide a spark" doesn't wash.  Holcomb provided a "spark" because he has some experience, and has made some plays that Losman simply can't make at this point.  Unless something clicked with JP on the sidelines the last three weeks, he would likely not be much better than he was against the Saints, or Falcons, which, frankly, was terrible....

Take heart. If the Bills lose Sunday, which most seem to assume, JP will likely get 8 starts, in addition to the 4 he has had.  JP may well turn out to be a far better QB than Holcomb will ever be, but it ain't even close right now...

486269[/snapback]

Its not that I love JP and hate Holcomb, the QB is not the problem. Yes, KH is a little better, and I mean "a little", the problem is the OL is not giving KH anytime to do anything back there and he has absolutely no mobility. We're not going to lose because of KH, we're going to lose (and yes, I do hope very much that I am wrong), because the OL is not giving the QB any time back there and our defense is so freakin' bad right now. They couldn't stop Collins and Jordan, you think they will stop Dillon and Brady? You might as well put JP in and give him his on the job training because there is too much wrong with this team to think that they are going to be anywhere near the playoffs.

If we have a miracle game and somehow beat the Pats, look at the remainder of the schedule. There is no way we're going to come out of that with more wins than losses. Believe me, I hope I am horribly wrong, but that defense was extremely disappointing and disturbing last week.

Hopefully now people realize that JP was not the SOLE reason for us losing games 2-4.

I thought the plan going into the year was to use JP's mobility (knowing our OL was a mess) for rollouts and bootlegs? Well, how do you do those things with Kelly Holcomb? Especially when your 1st and 2nd string right tackles are out of the game?

KH stated after the game he has never been hit so often in his life. Does he expect things to get any better with this OL?

Just play JP and let's get this over with!

I think if Losman-lovers were being objective, they would realize, while not perfect, Kelly Holcomb played pretty damn well against the Raiders. 

486269[/snapback]

I agree that KH wasn't TERRIBLE...but he didn't bring too much to the party. I blame the play calling...but, I usually do.

With that said, I'd hope all JP bashers would be objective and note that he actually didn't play too poorly in his last start. I watched that game pretty carefully and from what I saw, his passing was way more accurate than it had been, He was hurt by a TON of dropped passes and half-assed efforts in that game...and , of course, the play calling.

I think that in a nationally telecast, Prime Time game aganst the Pats, we have to stick w/KH as the starter. But, if the team is flat again, I think we may see JP again after the bye.

I think the Pats are preparing for either qb. When you have two weeks you can do that.

486310[/snapback]

It took Belicheck 10 minutes to prepare for this game. Maybe 11 if he watched the tape of Shelton getting stuffed on 4th and goal, but that's only because he was confused as to why anyone would ever run that play.

I think if Losman-lovers were being objective, they would realize, while not perfect, Kelly Holcomb played pretty damn well against the Raiders.  He was far from the culprit in Sunday's loss...and as bad as you may think Holcomb has played, that Losman kid was far worse...the idea of putting Losman in to "provide a spark" doesn't wash.  Holcomb provided a "spark" because he has some experience, and has made some plays that Losman simply can't make at this point.  Unless something clicked with JP on the sidelines the last three weeks, he would likely not be much better than he was against the Saints, or Falcons, which, frankly, was terrible....

Take heart. If the Bills lose Sunday, which most seem to assume, JP will likely get 8 starts, in addition to the 4 he has had.  JP may well turn out to be a far better QB than Holcomb will ever be, but it ain't even close right now...

486269[/snapback]

well, start KH if you are happy with "Noodle Arm" Holcomb slinging 5 yard passes all game. Sure 70% completion looks good on paper, but when its friggin 20-25 for 125, thats worthless. As someone said in another thread, all short passes get you is 3rd and 3.

well, start KH if you are happy with "Noodle Arm" Holcomb slinging 5 yard passes all game. Sure 70% completion looks good on paper, but when its friggin 20-25 for 125, thats worthless.  As someone said in another thread, all short passes get you is 3rd and 3.

486350[/snapback]

What's the alternative? Have a QB throw a ball into double coverage and get picked off?

And the short passing game has won more than one Super Bowl. I think that speaks louder than one of our resident pundits' opinion, but that's just me...

What's the alternative?  Have a QB throw a ball into double coverage and get picked off?

And the short passing game has won more than one Super Bowl.  I think that speaks louder than one of our resident pundits' opinion, but that's just me...

486359[/snapback]

The short passing game works when the safeties have to stay deep to guard against the long ball. Then, 5 yd pass = 10 yd gain. With the bills, we cant throw deep because of 1. KH's limp arm 2. Our o-line protection being non-existant. Therefore in our situation, 5 yd pass = 5 yd gain, because the LB's and safties sit on the short routes. We'll never get anywhere dinking it to death.

What's the alternative?  Have a QB throw a ball into double coverage and get picked off?

And the short passing game has won more than one Super Bowl.  I think that speaks louder than one of our resident pundits' opinion, but that's just me...

486359[/snapback]

Quite so. Week before last, B'gal Chad Johnson was grousing about not getting the ball. QB Palmer said that he admired Johnson's enthusiam, but he wasn't going to throw into double coverage if he could go elsewhere.

The short passing game works when the safeties have to stay deep to guard against the long ball. Then, 5 yd pass = 10 yd gain.
So that must have been the rationale behind Bill Walsh's offense - it was because Montana had a real cannon, eh?

With the bills, we cant throw deep because of 1. KH's limp arm 2. Our o-line protection being non-existant. Therefore in our situation, 5 yd pass = 5 yd gain, because the LB's and safties sit on the short routes. We'll never get anywhere dinking it to death.

486368[/snapback]

But using your numbers, if they complete 70% of the passes for 5 yard gains, that means that we'll get first downs a little better than every 3 passes. I'd take it.

Its not that I love JP and hate Holcomb, the QB is not the problem.  Yes, KH is a little better, and I mean "a little", the problem is the OL is not giving KH anytime to do anything back there and he has absolutely no mobility.  We're not going to lose because of KH, we're going to lose (and yes, I do hope very much that I am wrong), because the OL is not giving the QB any time back there and our defense is so freakin' bad right now.

486308[/snapback]

Well, as bad as the O-line has been, Holcomb has managed to complete a lot of passes, and get rid of the ball pretty effectively. I will take Holcombs 70% completion percentage, 180 yards, td pass and three sacks, at this point, over JP's 75 yards passing, 18 yards rushing, and three sacks. The O-line is what it is. It may get better as the season goes on, but as it stands right now, the Bills are actually moving the ball some with Holcomb in there, and converting third downs at times. None of that was happening with JP.

Holcomb, right now, is a big improvemet over what JP brings to the game. Holcomb may not be as mobile as Losman, but he is a ton more accurate, and has a good feel for the pass rush. At least two of the three sacks he took on Sunday were the result of missed assignments by the O-line. JP would have been sacked too! If Bledsoe had been back there, I hate to think how many times he would have been sacked. Holcomb actually avoided a number of sacks Sunday, and completed passes, by simply "feeling" the pass rush, and stepping out of the way.

I honestly am not bashing Losman, I just don't think he is ready too play right now. With the team still alive (just barely it seems) it would be a disservice to everyone to go back to Losman. I won't have a problem with it, once we are eliminated from the playoff picture. Losman obviously has some great tools, he just hasn't put it together yet. Once he gets his chance again (likely sooner than later) he will have a chance to grow into the job. I am also not blaming Losman for all of the teams woes, although I think his ineffectiveness was a big contributer to 2 of our losses. It may be, as many are saying, that this team is so awful, it wouldn't matter who is QB. However, right now, week 8, they are still obligated, I think, to putting the guys on the field who give them the best chance to win.

I have watched too much football over the years to be oblivious to the fact that while things can look pretty bleak one week, they can look a lot better the next. Being a football fan is not for the faint of heart...

It took Belicheck 10 minutes to prepare for this game.  Maybe 11 if he watched the tape of Shelton getting stuffed on 4th and goal, but that's only because he was confused as to why anyone would ever run that play.

486346[/snapback]

You have been hanging around with Crap Throwing Monkey too much. That sounds like something he would say.